Applications are open for Penn Center for MSIs ELEVATE 2018!

The Penn Center for Minority Serving Institutions (CMSI) is pleased to open applications for our early career faculty development program, ELEVATE (Enriching Learning, Enhancing Visibility, and Training Educators). This program is a unique three-day professional development opportunity for early career faculty at Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs). Drawing from the expertise of CMSI and our affiliates, ELEVATE will support the ongoing learning, training, and networking of early career MSI faculty by providing workshops, opportunities to network with peers, and a platform for collaboration.

This year's ELEVATE will be hosted at the Penn Center for Minority Serving Institutions in Philadelphia, PA from Wednesday, June 27, 2018, to Friday, June 29, 2018. In our effort to encourage attendance and minimize financial burden, ELEVATE will be offered free of registration costs to participants. In addition, all meals and materials will be provided by CMSI. Participants will only have to cover the cost of their personal travel and lodging.

If you are interested in participating, please complete the online application by February 15, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. Selected faculty will be announced by email on March 23, 2018.

Here are some testimonials from former ELEVATE Fellows:
  • "ELEVATE is one of those cherished gifts that keeps on giving. Being selected to be a part of the inaugural cohort in and of itself was a confidence booster. I was able to readily apply what I learned in the pursuit of my professional goals (e.g., grant writing) and other professional development opportunities. In addition, I acquired a professional extended family that is always just a phone call or keystroke away. #ELEVATEProud"
  • "The early years of my professorial life were becoming hasty and jumbled with research, teaching, and service responsibilities. So much whirled and whorled. However, by joining the 2016 ELEVATE Program, I gained new ways of thinking, planning, and working toward purpose and to strengthen my research . . . Indeed, I recommend the program for early career scholars determined to grow as professionals and community leaders for social change and progress. ¡Adelante, caminantes en la lucha!"
  • "Each time I reflect back on my ELEVATE experience, I'm reminded of the intellectual energy that filled the room from tenured faculty to less-experienced faculty; it was refreshing to see others speak on their passion areas. Since ELEVATE, I have published, contributed to the submission of four grants and awarded two, traveled abroad twice, created an opportunity for two students to be exposed to a national conference network of professionals, created a student study abroad program, and have begun to feel more passionately connected to my profession as a professor and scholar."
Please feel free to forward this call for applications to anyone you think might be interested in applying. For more information, click here to find a full program description with further details about ELEVATE. For questions or more information, please contact Paola "Lola" Esmieu at pesmieu@gse.upenn.edu

Best,

Marybeth Gasman
Professor & Director of CMSI