Skip to main content

vocabulary instruction

Vocabulary: What does it mean to know a word?

Hello colleagues, At a recent training event on teaching vocabulary, we discussed what it means to know a word. How would you respond to this seemingly simple question?

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition and Teaching & Learning CoPs

What are some ways you use pictures/photos in your teaching?

Hello colleagues, It would be great to generate a bunch of ideas for using pictures/photos for teaching English. An activity that I've been doing with lower level students is having learners make odl-fashioned flashcards , which --by the way-- research has shown to be an effective strategy for learning vocabulary. We use the flashcards in a variety of ways. I borrowed this idea from our friends from Arlington, VA at REEP as demonstrated in this great video, "Spotlight on Flashcards."

Increasing Personal Associations to Support Vocabulary Acquisition

Hello colleagues, There is a lot of interest these days in the role of vocabulary in reading comprehension.

Four Practical Principles for Enhancing Vocabulary Instruction

Hello colleagues, Some of you are, no doubt, familiar with the Reading Rockets website, which is chock full of useful resources related to teaching reading for K12 teachers. In fact, I have found that much of the information at this site is also relevant to our work in adult education, too.

We have noted previously that a number of the College and Career Readiness Standards emphasize the importance of vocabulary. The following standards mention vocabulary explicitly.

Seeing progress is motivating

Hello colleagues, Are you familiar with a Knowledge Rating Scale for vocabulary? A Knowledge Rating Scale presents students with a set of vocabulary words, which ideally come from a text they will be reading. Students assess themselves on how well they know the words on the list. If they know the meaning of the word and how to use the word, they would rate their knowledge high. On the other hand, if they never heard the word before, they would rate their knowledge low. There are mid ranges, too.

Subscribe to RSS - vocabulary instruction
randomness