Skip to main content

assessment for learning

Giving feedback for learning

Hello colleagues, In a 2006 Schoolies cartoon by John P. Wood, a dog and a boy are sitting in school. The dog turns around and shows his homework to the boy. The teacher has written the words "bad dog" on the dog's homework. The dog says to the boy, "I'm gonna need more specific feedback on my formative assessments."

Using conversation to assess learning

Hello colleagues, We hear a lot about the importance of formative assessment, which is sometimes referred to as assessment FOR learning. In fact, formative assessment is something excellent teachers do almost instinctually. We are always paying attention to learners and checking on how well they understand. We do this through questioning the whole class as well as questioning and listening to students one-on-one. 

Assessing to Inform Our Teaching

According to a recent blog by researcher John Hattie, “Far and away the most effective teaching intervention we found was what I call "visible learning": raising the quality of the feedback teachers receive about their impact. Expert teachers assess the visible impact they have on their students, constantly monitor learning and seek feedback about their teaching, and then evaluate and adjust their teaching methods based on these findings.

Who's getting it?

Hello colleagues, Today in my beginning ESL class we did an activity on reading want ads with a focus on the abbreviations that are often used, e.g., F/T = full time, P/T = part time, exp. = experience, etc. I hesitated a bit to do this activity since I thought it might be too difficult, but I decided to go ahead with it. We worked through the ads and the abbreviations together as a class. Several students readily called out answers and seemed to fully comprehend the language.

"The Intelligence that Guides our Every Moment"

Hello colleagues, I recently came across a quote from the inspiring Lucy Calkins. “Assessment is the thinking teacher’s mind work. It is the intelligence that guides our every moment as a teacher.”

What are the pros and cons?

In this Teaching Channel video https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/show-your-cards-student-assessment?utm_campaign=digest&utm_medium=email&utm_source=digest , science teacher Steven English uses colored cards to assess students’ understanding of the content he is teaching, i.e.

Subscribe to RSS - assessment for learning