Skip to main content

teaching social studies

Week of March 11: Guest-led Discussion with Kate Brandt developer of the ELA/Social Studies CUNY HSE Curriculum Framework

Hello colleagues,

Be sure to join us the week of March 11th when Kate Brandt, the developer of the ELA/Social Studies section of the CUNY HSE Curriculum Framework, will be with us to share many practical teaching strategies for integrating reading and writing instruction using social studies content.

Date Saver! Week of March 11, 2019 Guest-led Discussion with Kate Brandt-- The CUNY HSE Curriculum Framework on ELA/Social Studies

Be sure to join us the week of March 11th when Kate Brandt, the developer of the ELA/Social Studies section of the CUNY HSE Curriculum Framework, will be with us to share many practical teaching strategies for integrating reading and writing instruction using social studies content.

March: Women's History Month Resources

Hello colleagues, March is Women's History Month. ReadWords has a collection of relevant resources on this theme. Are you planning a lesson on women's history in March? Let us which women will be the focus, and please share any related online resources.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, Teaching & Learning CoP

Student-driven discussions

Hello colleagues, I'm convinced that discussion is essential to student learning. Do you agree? What are some ways you engage students in talking about the content you are teaching?

Check out this 5-minute video of teacher Laurie Erby teaching a social studies lesson. What stands out to you about her approach? What connections can you make to your own teaching?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about student-driven discussion!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Using Artifacts to Teach Social Studies

Hello teachers, I have never done so myself, but I have seen teachers use interesting (or even mundane) artifacts in social studies lessons. Have you ever focused a lesson on an artifact? The Smithsonian Center for Education and Museum Studies has some great materials, including questions for discussion, worksheets and writing assignments.

Subscribe to RSS - teaching social studies