Skip to main content

collaborative learning

Do you use dictation? How about dictogloss?

Hello colleagues, I have found that learners usually love dictation. I'm not exactly sure why this is the case, but it is one of the reasons I include dictation in my classes. I often structure dictation so that peers dictate to one another. For the peer dictation activity, I create a cloze of  a text we have been working with for a while. Using a familiar text has clear benefits. I have several goals for peer dictation, i.e., to give students practice with listening, pronunciation, and spelling.

Is group work effective in ABE?

Hello colleagues, We teachers often hear how important it is to engage learners in working in small groups to help them enhance their communication and teamwork skills.  I tend to think that groups that work well together often stimulate more creative thinking.

How effective is group work in your classes? What makes it easy or hard? Do students welcome working with one another? Do you see positive outcomes in terms of student learning from group work?

Evaluating Project-Based Learning?

Hello colleagues, Do you integrate project-based learning in your practice? If so, how do you evaluate projects? Do your projects require collaboration among students? What are some effective ways to assess how teams work together in collaborative projects?

Thanks for sharing your ideas and good practices here in our CoP!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Assessment, CoP

Education Week Spotlight on Using Technology for Classroom Collaboration

Education Week has put out a Spotlight issue on Using Technology for Classroom Collaboration
http://www.edweek.org/ew/marketplace/products/using-technology-for-classroom-collaboration.html?cmp=EB-SPT-111314 

The Education Week Spotlight on Using Technology for Classroom Collaboration is a collection of articles hand-picked by our editors for their insights on:

Subscribe to RSS - collaborative learning