Your LINCS Profile

Technology and Learning Colleague,

Since this is an online Community of Practice your profile is Important!

One way that we can learn about each other and, for some, represent our organizations, schools or programs, is from our LINCS profiles, including our pictures.  Please complete (or add to, or update) yours now.

One way to get to your “Edit my Profile” button in four easy steps:

1. Start at the LINCS Community

2. Below “Hello,” (upper right), select  [Your Name]

3. Scroll down the right hand menu to “View/Edit my profile”

4. Select: “Edit my Profile”

Please let us know when you update your profile.

David J. Rosen

Technology and Learning CoP Moderator

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

Hello David and group members,

I'm a Canadian online literacy technology support coordinator and very much appreciate being able to keep abreast of discussions and developments here.  I have updated my profile, so if you're interested in checking out the online literacy environment in my part of Canada, Ontario, please have a look at http://e-channel.ca ; you'll find a Facebook link on the site as well.

Thanks for all of your inputs to this increasingly important subject!

Sarah Stocker

Hello Sarah,

Thanks for updating your profile.

As I understand it, learners in Ontario who want to improve their literacy and other basic education skills can enroll (at no cost?) in E-channel courses through a partner program site. Is that correct? I have some questions. The E-channel is described on its website as a literacy learning environment. In the U.S. sometimes literacy means very basic literacy -- for learners who cannot read, and sometimes it refers to a wider range of basic skills all the way through adult secondary education and transition to college levels and subjects. In the case of E-Channel, what does "literacy" mean? If E-Channel addresses basic literacy, is this in a blended model with face-to-face and online instruction, and how does that work? Or does E-literacy address basic literacy learning entirely online? And, if so, how does that work?

In June, in Montreal, there is an international Adult Education World Assembly and also the Centre for Literacy Summer Institute on Literacy Digital Environments: Opportunities and Challenges for Literacy, Learning and Citizenship" June 11–12, 2015  If you will be at the Centre for Literacy Summer Institute, I look forward to meeting you -- and others from the Technology and Learning CoP -- there.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hello David,

I'll respond briefly to your questions here, but I recommend that anyone interested check the site: http://tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/eopg/programs/lbs_oalcf_overview.html .

Yes, resident Ontario adult learners enrol at no cost for Literacy and Basic Skills (LBS) programming.  e-Channel is the online LBS program, and its registrants often take only the online program, (for many remote Ontarians, especially those in First Nations, there may be no local alternatives) though some are blended learners who are also registered with on-site LBS programs.  Many registrants undertake the e-Channel programming in locations of their own choosing, but my organization is also funded to provide access to sites with work stations for registrants in 112 locations around the province.

The program must serve those with very basic literacy needs as well as those with higher levels. The Ontario Adult Literacy Curriculum Framework (OALCF) is based on competencies that adults require to undertake the tasks they must complete in their lives. It uses 3 levels tied to the Essential Skills competencies:

Find and Use Information Communicate Ideas and Information  Understand and Use Numbers Use Digital Technology Manage Learning Engage with Others   It is very true, however, that for some learners, undertaking online programming without local support is not realistic.   Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the Summer Institute, sadly the last that will be hosted by The Centre for Literacy due to its impending closure because of  federal government funding cuts, but I look forward to hearing about its outcomes.  AlphaPlus, the other Ontario LBS support organization with a mandate to research and assist LBS delivery organizations in using  technology will be presenting there, as will COFA, the Francophone support organization, whose program delivery we also support.   Sarah Stocker

T & L Colleagues,

I am going to add a new feature here, “Profile of the Month”.  I’ll pick out some outstanding profiles, and feature one each month, so you may want to check yours now, and update it! Here’s what I will be looking for:

• Completion of all fields
  • Addition of a picture (your actual picture or something that visually tells us something you think is important about you)
  • A narrative about who you are, what you do.

If you think your (updated) profile meets these criteria, let me know and I’ll have a look. 

Thanks!

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Technology and Learning Colleagues,

I would like to call your attention to the profiles of two members of the Technology and Learning Community: Angy Folkes and Lauren Osowski.

I chose Angy's profile because I love the picture she included -- be sure to take a look at it! I like that she succinctly tells us who and what she teaches, and in what kind of program and agency. I also like that she includes her main job role. After reading your profile, Angy, I thought it would be interesting to hear more from you in our discussions, for example if you see ways to look at technology and learning through a social justice lens. Tell us about your picture. Does it mean (forgive me) that you have a "tiring" schedule?

I chose Lauren's profile, too, because she includes a great picture, information about herself as an ESOL instructor and administrator, and that she includes her main job role and affiliation. I am interested, Lauren, to read your website, Adult Education Technology. Could you give us the URL, please, and add it to your profile?

Thanks Angy and Lauren!

Everyone -- does your profile include: your picture, role, affiliation, and information about who you are and what you do?  If so, let me know and I'll be glad to consider calling our community's attention to it in the Profile(s) of the Month feature.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Colleagues,

As you know, each month I pick one or two LINCS profiles to feature for the  “Profile of the Month” on the Technology and Learning CoP.

Check your profile now, and update it! Here’s what I will be looking for:

• Addition of a picture (your actual picture or something that visually tells us something you think is important about you)

If you think your (updated) profile meets these criteria, email me to let me know and I’ll have a look. 

The Profiles of the month for July are:

Christoper Cooperhttps://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/christopher-cooper 

and

Priyanka Sharma, https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/priyankasharma

Thanks!

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Colleagues,

As you know, each month I pick one or two LINCS profiles to feature for the  “Profile of the Month” on the Technology and Learning CoP.

Check your profile now, and update it! Here’s what I will be looking for:

If you think your (updated) profile meets these criteria, email me to let me know and I’ll have a look. 

The Profile of the month for August is:

Wendy Quinones https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/wendyq

Thanks!

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

The profile of the month for November is Kathy St. John's.

In addition to providing her picture, and a great description of her personal; interests, Kathy describes a fascinating work history that includes:

• Teaching English in Kenya while there doing ethnographic fieldwork
  • Teaching ESL in Washington DC,  Chicago and Madison, WI before moving into adult basic education and literacy
  • Directing volunteer-based adult and family literacy programs in Chicago and Santa Clara, CA
  • Writing grants for Literacy Volunteers of America
  • Being ProLiteracy Worldwide's Southwest Regional Representative working with volunteer-based literacy programs in Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, and New Mexico.
  • Being ProLiteracy's Regional Training Coordinator, coordinator of ProLiteracy's Waiting List Reduction and Referral Systems projects and developer of two online courses based on the findings from these projects.
  • Working with LINCS developing resources and trainings focusing on teaching adults to read and the four components of reading (alphabetics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension)
  • Helping design LINCS' face-to-face trainings on these topics and then complimentary Teaching Adults to Read online courses and LINCS' related online resources for tutors and classroom volunteers called Tutor Ready
  • Helping develop the content, and film the videos, for Access to Learning, a series of videos with real tutors and learners demonstrating best practices for teaching adults to read in each of the four components.

Currently:

• Kathy is a LINCS national trainer specializing in reading and writing, TEAL and Learning to Achieve trainings.
  • She teaches ESL classes for the San Jose Public Library's adult literacy program, Partners in Reading.
  • She is also co-developing an online course for ProLiteracy and the American Library Association that will help public libraries support literacy initiatives in their communities. The project is called Adult Literacy: Libraries in Action and it will be rolled out in 2016.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

T & L Colleagues,

Thanks to our colleague, Brooke Istas, for creating a short video to take CoP members through the steps to complete their LINCS profiles.  You can view the video here

Your profile is an important way that others in the Technology and Learning community can get to know what you are interested in, your role(s) in adult basic skills education, your experience in the field, and a little about your program or organization.

Please watch the short video. You'll see how easy it is to complete your profile.  If you are still experiencing a problem putting your profile online or updating it, please let me know. I'll be happy to help.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Integrating Technology Colleagues,

It's easy to complete or update your LINCS profile; here's a short video to take you through the steps. Let us know when you have updated yours!

Here are some recent examples of completed profiles:

Magxina Wageman https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/magxina-wageman

Sudie Whalen  https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/sudie-whalen

Sharon Watkins https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/sharon-watkins

Thanks!

David J. Rosen, Moderator

Integrating Technology CoP

djrosen123@gmail.com

It's easy to complete or update your LINCS profile; here's a short video to take you through the steps. Let us know when you have updated yours!

Here are two great recent examples of completed profiles:

djrosen123@gmail.com

The past two-three months we have had several new members in the Integrating Technology CoP, and I would like to bring to your attention four exemplary profiles. If you have completed your profile (with an uploaded image), thank you. If you haven't yet, now would be a great time to do that.

1. Start at the LINCS Community

2. Below “Hello,” (upper right), select  [Your Name]

3. Scroll down the right hand menu to “View/Edit my profile”

4. Select: “Edit my Profile”

Please let us know when you update your profile.

Here are four excellent examples of profiles. Have a look!

Danielle Wilson  https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/danielle-wilson

Jana Harper  https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/jana-harper

Dr. Egheosa Igbinoba  https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/dr-egheosa-igbinoba

Ashly Winkle  https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/ashly-winkle

djrosen123@gmail.com

If you scroll through this discussion thread you'll find some simple instructions for adding to or updating your LINCS profile. Why bother? Because this is a Community of Practice, an online community where people share ideas and resources and find out they have common interests, and can help in solving common problems or sharing great new ways to integrate technology. Completing your LINCS profile, including adding a picture, is a way to introduce yourself to us, as is posting a message here introducing yourself. Here are examples of two people who have a great deal to offer you, and us, and I am delighted to learn more about them through their profiles. Check out their LINCS profiles yourself.

Alecia Ohm  https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/alecia-ohm

Ira Sockowitz  https://community.lincs.ed.gov/users/ira-sockowitz

Incidentally, LINCS also has an in-mail feature that allows you, should you wish, to contact people directly by clicking on the "Contact....."  link under the picture (or place where a picture can be uploaded) in their profile.

djrosen123@gmail.com