Lesson Idea for "Everyone On" Project

Hello friends, Some of you may be following the great discussion in the Technology and Learning community about project-based learning. Steve Quann just posted a message that includes a lesson idea for promoting the Everyone On website. Everyone On is an initiative providing low cost internet access and refurbished computers for adult learners as well as for eligible teachers and adult education programs. Implementing Steve's lesson in class would not only inform the students involved in the project about Everyone On, but would spread the word about this wonderful opportunity to others.

I plan to try out Steve's project idea with my class this summer.

Cheers, Susan

Moderator, AELL CoP

Comments

I am pursuing  digital storytelling with my Intermediate/Advanced Vocational English Language Learners this summer. We are focusing on storytelling in the classroom this month and plan to investigate immigrants stories thru the Ellis Island archives and then record our own stories. Any ideas about digital storytelling apts or programs for computer based learning would be appreciated. Thanks Naomi

Hello Naomi, I have to say that having adult learners create their own digital stories is at the top of my list of favorite projects. You and the students are sure to have a great learning experience. I love digital storytelling because it allows students to tell a story that is important to them. The story they create can be shared with a wide audience, including the learners' own families. Through creating their story, learners use English for an authentic purpose and work diligently to ensure the story communicates the way they want. They get to revise their writing as well as the oral narrative, which is completed in their own voice, until they are pleased with the final product.

Let's hear from others who have implemented digital storytelling in their classroom! What advice can you offer Naomi and others in our community?

There are many sites online that feature digital stories. I found this wonderful American Friends Service Committee website that features the digital stories of immigrants and refugees. Enjoy!

The first time I implemented digital storytelling with students, I found it helpful to create my own story first. Since the process is fairly complex, this helped me to work out all the steps. Plus, as Gail Weinstein recommended in Learners' Lives as Curriculum, I had a personal story to share as a model.

One of the most helpful online resources I've found is Jason Ohler's site. Ohler has presented and written extensively on digital storytelling and his entire book is available for free on his website. Since I've done a workshop on digital storytelling, I have some tools I've used (e.g., rubrics) and a list of resources I would be happy to share with you and anyone else who might be interested. Just send me an email susanfinn_miller@iu13.org.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL, Assessment, and CCR CoPs

I have successfully had 4-5 low/high beginning ESL classes use PowerPoint to tell their story.  We have used different themes: How I Met my Spouse/Love Story,   Why I came to America,   This is My Native Country,     "Comparing 2 people,"    and  "How I Keep Fit."

The class had to learn the English used in the Theme first.  Then we worked on how to write a story, with Title, Intro, Conclusion, as new concepts to them.  Venn Diagrams really helped them start.  Once their stories were more solidified, they had a demonstration in class on PowerPoint, and away we went!  It was a lot of work for me, running from student to student.  They were required to bring a flashdrive to class, which was like pulling teeth.  Eventually most student had one, but I would have to store others in my flashdrive.  Once students were "done", I helped them to spice it up with animation.  Then I helped each student to rehearse and record their voice.  It was amazing, but they all enjoyed watching each others story, no matter how low the level.  I have saved every one of them. At end of the year parties, we like to showcase them again for a larger audience.  Once we invited the Literacy Council's PreLit class to tea and dessert and to watch our Stories on Comparing 2 people.  Then the students stood up and told what they learned from the whole experience.  The Lit Council students were encouraged and less afraid to transfer to our school once their scores go up.

It is a lot of work with low level learners, but they learned so much, including technology.  They found their voice in English!