Wednesday Question: It's 12/12/12! What are you doing today for HL?

Hi Everyone,

I am starting the Wednesday Questions again in hopes of getting more talking going here on the community!

Today is 12/12/12. It's the last time in our lifetimetime that we will have a triple date day like this. 

To celebrate this, I would like us to join in the One Day One Earth Movement by recording, in our own small way, what we are doing TODAY for our cause. 

For more on One Day One Earth:

On December 12th, 12.12.12, across the planet, documentary filmmakers, students, and other inspired citizens will record the human experience over a 24-hour period and contribute their voice to the third annual global day of media creation called One Day on Earth. Together, we will create a shared archive and a film.

Founded in 2008, One Day on Earth's first media creation event occurred on 10.10.10. and the second on 11.11.11. The 10.10.10 collaboration was the first ever simultaneous filming event occurring in every country of the world. One Day on Earth collaborations create a unique geo-tagged video archive as well as an annual feature film.

Please reply and tell us one line about what exactly you are doing today for health literacy.

All the best,

Julie

Comments

On 12/12/12 I met with a local health foundation and pitched health literacy as an issue area to which they should pay attention and fund. The meeting went great, and we're now discussing a full-blown clinical intervention at one of our safety-net clinics, starting with a 360 degree assessment (CCAT) and using those results to customize and deliver communication and health literacy interventions.  

These are more "tomorrow" than "today" but I've got several projects brewing to forward HL in the coming year. This is a combination to-do and wish list:

1) introduce a new policy statement on affirming the importance public health departments as health literate organizations

2) continue a webinar series "communication matters" to introduce HL in pragmatic ways to the public health community that may be unfamiliar with the concept or value f HL

3) pursue the possibility of developing an easy-to-use mobile app for the childhood immunization schedule

Your thoughts welcome.

Happy New Year,

Tammy Pilisuk, MPH