Online Reading Resource

In her response to the Getting to Know You Discussion, started on May 31st, Di said, "I have a special fondness for writing and for helping students who are at basic levels." The following site may fit your needs, Di. I am ferreting out low-level writing sites as well. Stay tuned.

I just came across this site and found some of its resources to be very useful among adults striving to improve reading and writing skills in programs that are preparing student to succeed in later training for health occupations. You might find it useful as well.

Although the terminology used to categorize resources goes from K-8, the readings are not necessarily childish. For example, for the program I mentioned above, one teacher is using "Bid League Injuries" with students hoping to enter health careers, under the domain, "Fitness, Health, and Safety, Sports & Recreation:" http://www.readworks.org/passages/big-league-injuries.

Since so many adults in our adult ed programs read at approximately the 6th grade level or below, they should be able to handle much of the material presented. Registration is required, but it is free, along with all of its materials. The readings are also downloadable and followed by mostly comprehension activities which can then be taken to higher cognitive levels by instructors. What types of writing prompts could follow this and similar readings, where students could reflect on other real life applications of the content?

If you use this site, please share your impressions on its usefulness and benefits to adult learners.

http://www.readworks.org/

You are also invited and encouraged to share similar resources that you have found helpful among your students!

If you haven't responded to the "Getting to Know You" discussion, please open it from the Discussion tab and let us know more about you and your preferences for group participation! Thanks!

Leecy Wise
leecy@reconnectioncompany.com

Comments

Thank you Leecy. This is a great site. They also have paired readings - two readings on the same topic - along with a set of questions for the pairing. I checked some of the reading passages at grades 2 and 3 and there are many that are appropiate for adult students. Lots of ways to search for articles, too.

Have you seen the NewsELA site? www.newsela.com  You can select a news article, then select what reading level you want for the article. Students at different reading levels can then read the same article. There are also questins sets for the articles. Again the site is for K-12 but the articles are well written and suitable for our adult students.

Love the resource, Di, and especially the fact that you can choose the level for the reading. Wonderful. I want to share the materials online with adults that we are prepping to succeed in subsequent training for energy and health careers. Looking for a Contact link to ask permission. Thanks, much! Leecy

Leecy Wise
leecy@reconnectioncompany.com