Join the Collage!

Collages provide wonderful ways to build community, and humans thrive in communities that provide safety and interaction. In fact, many adult learners claim that they don't want to leave programs after they get their GEDs or meet other career goals! Do we overlook this strong human need as we consider strategies to retain students in programs?

I have looked for group-collage creators; however, those that I found were either too difficult to establish or required emails for participants to enjoy. If you are technically oriented and want to become a Facebook Developer, instructions follow on how to create a group collage on Facebook.

http://anee.me/facebook-group-photo-collage/

I finally thought of Google docs as an alternative. I've used Google docs to share editing on grant writing and other projects. How about using the PowerPoint tool in Google docs to share collages?

Are you willing to experiment in a fun project for this group?

Go to ...
 https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1OIyEt-eg-PwyVtshtdfowWzWXMdGuXP2Cd2rWhvfpB8/edit?usp=sharing

You will find our PowerPoint presentation with a title and my simple collage on the first slide. I have added new slides for you to use to share your collages!

If you know PowerPoint, the tools are the same although a little differently positioned. To enter your images, go to the little image icon in the menu.

Click your choice for entering images, and fill to your heart's content. Unfortunately, you need to enter one image at a time, but it doesn't take long to load. Once on the slide, you can resize and rotate to fit your creative desires.

You are welcome to change the background theme if you wish. Whatever you do, enjoy!

After you contribute to the presentation, please return to this discussion and share how you think this will work with students. Could they write about their images? Could they write their impression of collages created by others? Collages can be powerful tools through which students can express themselves. Ask me about a Montreal project among homeless adult learners in downtown Montreal!

Thanks! Leecy

Comments

My collage is getting very lonely. I would love to see your beautiful faces and other images in this little project! How about it? Leecy

Hi Leecy,

Your collage has company. And no, that's NOT the real Jack Sparrow proposing to me. I think this would be great to get students writing. After they have built their collages, I think I would ask them to pick one photo and write the story behind it. The collage could be revisited at later times and the students could choose another photo to write about. Thanks for inviting us to do this. In the process, I learned a bit more about using technology.

di

My collage is excited to have your collage as company, Di. I hope that other images will join us there. You not only have Jack Sparrow proposing, but others sharing your presence there. What was the conference about? Very artistic and engaging intro to who you are.

I think your idea of having students write about their work and revisiting the collage will give them something very familiar to address. Writing should come easily! I hope you'll try it and share your student responses with us here! Thanks, Di.

I'm adding another post to describe how a Montreal project implemented collages with their students. Leecy

Actually the pictures are from a variety of conferences/places. In addition to Jack Sparrow (ALER conference), I'm seen with Tom Landry from the TV show Swamp People (COABE in New Orleans), Leonard the instructor from Essential Ed's GED Academy (COABE in Denver), the KRATOS eagle (COABE in New Orleans), and my mom and the Nittany Lion in State College, PA. The other two pictures are of desserts - a chocolate pyramid (Santa Fe), and a pavlova (both yummy) because when it comes to travelling, it's all about the food. 

I'm not in the classroom at the present time but if/when I get back in, I plan to use this. It's a great idea and it was fun to do.

The Montreal project that I referenced in this discussion is one that inspired me to consider the use of collages for learning and building community.

The program that I visited many, many years ago was located in a very busy downtown area in Montreal. It was located down the stairs in an old building, which was covered with student collages that moved me to the core. I couldn't stop looking at them, seeing both the students and myself reflected everywhere.

In that project, new students, usually homeless, were given cheap, small, digital cameras and sent to the streets to take pictures of images that they thought represented them. The program would  print the images. Students would create collages from the pictures, and  then talk about their work among instructors or other students.

Among other impressions, what amazed me the most about the project was its retention rate. They had a significantly low dropout rate compared to similar programs in urban areas.

Of course, in this day and age, student could share digital cameras and compose collages from downloaded image on computers!

Do you have any similar projects in your programs? Please share your experiences or resources for all of us to enjoy and replicate! Leecy