The Literacy List's new home

Colleagues,

For many years, with the help of adult basic skills teachers (including ESOL/ESL, numeracy and math, Adult Secondary Education, transition to higher education) and administrators, I have published The Literacy List, a free online resource for our field. At this point, The Literacy List is a very large collection of free Adult Basic and Secondary Education and English language (ELL/ESL/ESOL) websites, electronic discussion lists, communities of practice (CoPs), and other Internet resources for adult basic skills learners, teachers and tutors.

I have recently updated The Literacy List,  and today I have moved it to a new location . Within a few days, this new link to the Literacy List will be updated (under Publications) on my website, http://newsomeassociates.com. For now -- and also in the future -- you can go to the Literacy List directly with this link: http://tinyurl.com/prhml4t

I would appreciate your taking a look in areas where you are especially interested. If you see worthwhile web-based resources that you believe should be added, please email me with links to them and, if you, wish why you think they should be included. 

Thanks, and please help spread the word that the Literacy List has been moved!

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

thanks, David, for sharing these resources. I've checked out a few and whoa! they are amazing. I plan to bring this to the attention of our Ed Advisors and Teachers. ~Heather Kelman

Heather and others,

I am very glad you have found The Literacy List useful, Heather. I hope others here, teachers, program managers, and perhaps adult learners, will use and share this resource. It is specifically designed for adult education teachers and learners (ESOL/ESL, ASE, ASE. Transition, etc.) To the extent that the resources are relevant and worthwhile, the credit is due to the many teachers and program managers who have sent me suggested resources.

I very much hope that if you have a web resource or tool that you find especially useful, that you will email me the link and, if you can, a short description of why you find it worthwhile.

I'd love to hear from hundreds of people. I'd appreciate your widely disseminating The Literacy List's new location to colleagues in email, newsletters, tweets, IMs over coffee or tea, or however you prefer.

I would also appreciate questions and suggestions for improving the design of The Literacy List.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Colleagues,

The Literacy List is a volunteer project, now almost in its third decade, updated at least annually. Please think about whom you know who might benefit from knowing about it, and email them this new link: http://tinyurl.com/prhml4t  You can also find The Literacy List  (under Publications) on my website, http://newsomeassociates.com. If you have a newsletter in which you list adult basic skills resources, consider featuring The Literacy List.

Thanks to those who have looked at and emailed me or commented on The Literacy List here.

Now I would love to hear from you:

• What do you like about The Literacy List?
  • What resources have you found particularly helpful?
  • What do you think would make it more useful to adult education teachers and program administrators? What additional topics, for example?
  • What resources would you suggest I add?
  • What else would you like to suggest?

Post your reply here or email me.

Thanks,

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

www.mathplayground.com -- This site uses Flash and has lots of games for drill and practice but also some good exercises for helping understand word problems.   

www.mathantics.com -- the videos here are free; the worksheets are for purchase. The videos explain concepts with good visual examples.

www.mathisfun.com  -- this also uses Flash and has interactive examples (so students can drag a line around a circle and see what angle is created as if it were a protactor, for example).   It has one of the best "times tables drill" setups that I know; if you miss one, you'll get it again and again :)