What do Harnessing Technology Reading Problems and Technology Solutions look like?

Reading and Writing Colleagues,

Someone asked what Harnessing Technology to Serve Adult Literacy looks like, so below I have included screen shots of the front page and one of a reading page problem and two of several technology solutions for it.

Please consider contributing a problem and at least one technology solution here, or email it to me, with:

• The name of the product, tool, hardware, software, etc.
  • A web address or other way to learn more about and access it
  • A brief description, for example of how you have used it, or how it could be used to solve the problem you have described.
  • Your name, role, organization, city/town, state or province, if not in the U.S. -- country, and email address.

If I get your problem and solution(s) in the next two weeks, I will send you the web address for the recently updated Harnessing Technology to Serve Adult Literacy web pages, and I will consider adding your problem and solution there. If I do add it, of course I will credit you.

Thanks.

David J. Rosen

Djrosen123@gmail.com

Harnessing Technology Table of Contents

Reading Instruction Problem and Technology Solutions

Comments

Tools:  Natural Readers and Audacity
Access and application of tools among adult learners:

Problem: Very often, learners wish to read content of interest which is slightly above their reading ability. They get discouraged and often give up.

Solution: I occasionally develop content for very low-level readers (4th-5th grade, native speakers or ELLs). Since there might be words or longer text that is problematic for some, I like to add a link to the materials, which allows them to listen to the text as they read. It is easy to add sound to Word, HTML and PDF files, for example, and students appreciate the help. Since my recording voice is sometimes challenged, I use technology to help me through text-to-speech assistance.

http://www.naturalreaders.com/index.html - This software is free with some limitation in use. The application also can be purchased at different prices, depending on how many natural voices are desired. There are also many text-to-speech tools online, so I recommend exploring to find the one that meets the needs of learners best. Alternatively, I recommend http://audacityteam.org/. Audacity is free and has many editing tools that learners really enjoy. Instructors or other learners can practice oral reading while recording passages that are then attached to readings for beginners.

From Leecy Wise, Educational Consultant, Unlimited Learning Center (adult ed), Cortez, CO, leecy@fourcornerslearning.org

Hello Leecy,

Thanks for the great problem and technology solutions. I'll send you the link to the Harnessing Technology Web Page.

Now that Leecy has broken the ice, I hope to see a flood of reading and writing problems and solutions!

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Colleagues,

I am beginning to get some interesting problems and solutions, and have begun updating the Harnessing Technology to Serve Adult Literacy webpages. Post here or email me your problem(s) and solutions, and I'll consider adding them, and will credit you. I'll also then send you a link to the Harnessing Technology webpages.

If you reply with a problem (or problems) and at least one technology solution here, or if you email it to me, be sure to include:

• The name of the product, tool, hardware, software, etc.
  • A web address or other way to learn more about and access it
  • A brief description, for example of how you have used it, or how it could be used to solve the problem you have described.
  • Your name, role, organization, city/town, state or province, if not in the U.S. -- country, and email address.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com