TEAS and ESL learner performance

Hi everyone:

Does anyone know where I could obtain information i.e. studies on ESL learners' performance on TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills)? Our community college uses TEAS as an entrance exam to its nursing program.

Thanks,

Michael

Comments

Hello Michael, TEAS is used as an entrance exam for at least one of the nursing schools in our community, too. It would be very interesting to see a study on this, but I am not aware of any.

In my local program, we have offered a class to prepare students for the TEAS for many years. The students must be reading at a level 6.9 to get into the class. The teacher focuses heavily on math, since math seems to be the greatest need among students, but they also work on reading. The class is a mix of American born and English learners who understand spoken English well.

I am hoping others might have some helpful information on this.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

Hi Susan:

Thank you very much for the information. It would be interesting to know what the cut off for our college is.  Even librarians specializing in the areas of nursing and languages haven't been able to turn up any information for me. My next strategy is calling atitesting.com directly for the results of any studies they've conducted using ESL students as participants.

Thanks again,

Michael

Hi Michael,

It might be hard to find this information because the company probably doesn't parse out students who are ESL. You might want to check with the nursing department or the institutional research department at your college to see if they have. You also might want to check other nursing exams to see if they have. Our college uses the HESI.