Self-Determination and Post-Secondary EducationS

Hello welcome to Day 3. We are going to focus on Self-Determination and it’s role in Adult education. I have read some of the posts yesterday and the name Mike Wehmeyer was mentioned. He has done a lot of research as it realest to youth with disabilities but his definition can work with adult-learners as well.  Michael Wehmeyer identifies self-determined behavior as “the attitudes and abilities necessary to act as the primary causal agent in one's life and to make choices and decisions regarding one's quality of life, free from undue external influences or interference.”

Here are a few questions to get us started.

1. Do you think Self-Determination relates to adult education? How
  2. How does Self-Advocacy influence adult education

Comments

Hi Stel:

These are such interesting questions.  I feel your first question brings up a main stumbling block for adults returning to the adult education classroom and moving into postsecondary education.  As adults, we feel like we are supposed to know who we are and what we need to do --  but we often don't, especially when we move into new territory.  And, in turn, others hold back, expecting or waiting for us to be that "causal agent."  It's kind of like a dance or hide and seek (anyone have a better metaphor?).

I think infusing self-determination skills and abilities into the adult education classroom insures that all adults will have access to skill development and practice.  The guide suggests starting in two areas to start -- increasing self-awareness and learning to value ourselves.  Are these two areas that you focus on with students?  What do you suggest?

I have a second question.  Would you define what you mean by self-advocacy?

Thanks,

Cynthia

Thank you Cynthia, They are many definitions of self-advocacy. The one I like is “Knowing what you need and how to get it.” People may know what they need to learn more effectively  but often they feel ashamed they need assistance or they do not know that they are services that may be able to  assist them.   This is why self-advocacy is so important. The services may be there for someone to take advantage  of. However, if the person doesn’t self-advocate and tell people they need the service, nothing will happen.

Hi Stel and Lindsey (and Beth, Philip and colleagues):

As many a teacher has said, "You don't know what you don't know."  So, along with the individual's growth mindset and optimistic outlook that says, "I can do this. I can find this out," learning environments support self-advocacy by saying things like, "I think you will have questions.  It's okay to ask questions.  Here is where you can start." I noticed that one of our readings reminds us not to treat these factors (grit, tenacity, and perseverance) as residing only within the student, but students pay the price when they are unable to advocate for themselves in new situations -- which makes our discussion all the more compelling.

Does the research talk about the process of authentic skill practice and letting go?

Cynthia

Self-determination training is important but self-determination practice is equally important. I believe that an adult learning community is a great setting for people to learn and acquire self-determination skills.  Research tells us that self-determination training is important but what is equally important is that learners have the opportunity to practice these skills what better place than a post-secondary environment? You have to ask for the accommodations you need, if you don't anybody will give him or her to you   

You make a great point about the need for authentic skill practice.  The short answer is yes.  There is a lot of research, particularly in the field of special education that points out the importance of contextualized learning experiences.  It can be easy to advocate for oneself during a role play in the classroom, but it is something completely different to do so in a situation that is real, and so often is emotional.  It's important that we not only explicitly teach these skills, but that we reinforce them in all aspects of our program, providing students with opportunities for ongoing practice.  Personally, I do this by encouraging learners to speak with the appropriate people when they have issues (rather than just the staff they have relationship with) and to spend time reflecting with learners after situations in which they advocated for themselves less effectively.

I just wanted to echo what Lindsey (and Stel and Cyn) said about the need to practice the skills in authentic settings. The process of self-advocacy takes a good deal of moment-to-moment decision-making (e.g., what am I going to say, now what do I say in response to a comment, what are the next steps to make sure I get what I need, etc.). Because it is not possible to predict how an interaction will play out, decisions about responses and next steps will need to be made in the moment. Sometimes, in the psychology literature, this type of decision-making is called "hot" because it happens in the moment and has an emotionally-charged or motivational component to it. "Hot" cognitions are what happen in the authentic setting whereas the role playing is more often a "cool" situation in which there is less emotional investment in the outcomes (because it is a low stakes practice, not a high stakes interaction). So the more opportunity our learners have to be in those authentic moments and engage in those moment-to-moment advocacy and self-determination skills and behaviors, the better! Role playing is great practice, but nothing replaces the real thing!

Hi Beth:

Thank you so much for this framework of hot and cool situations!  Students in transition to postsecondary education have to make so many decisions in a very unfamiliar environment and hot situations.  Andy Nash and I put together a Research to Practice Brief for the National College Transition Network titled, Don't Take No for An Answer.  It includes some suggestions for self-advocating, some of which may be ways to cool down a situation.  The are:

• Come prepared with your questions, whenever possible.
  • Plan ahead, but plan to think on your feet, too.
  • Get a personalized answer to your question, one that responds to your situation.
  • Restate the response/answer you heard to check for accuracy.
  • Get the name of the person you talk with.
  • Get the name of the point person for your question. Deans can sometimes work around rules that others can’t.
  • Take answers to your question(s) “under advisement” and take some time to decide whether you have a true solution to your question or problem.
  • If the decision-making process feels too rushed…it is. Try to buy some time.
  • Always develop a great Plan B (and Plan C), in case, for example, childcare doesn’t materialize for the hours you need, transportation is a problem, etc.
  • Enlist college personnel to help you weigh choices and resources at your institution. Ask, “What are the pluses and minuses of doing it the way you suggest?”
  • Find out about additional resources that might be able to help you. Ask, “Are there other departments, offices, or people that could help me with this issue?”

Cynthia

I think that self-determination can definitely relate to adult education.  Many of the learners that I work with have not yet developed the skills related to self-determination.  At my site, we try to infuse our orientation and career activities with instruction in and application of self-determination skills.  One thing that I have found, however, is that there can be some resistance to this type of instruction.  Many of our learners have a laser focus on earning their high school credential and don't want to be bothered with anything that they don't see as immediately related to preparing to take the GED or begin with the NEDP.  

I'm curious if others have found this and would love to hear what people are doing to overcome this resistance?

Hi Lyndsey, thank you for your comment. We sometimes notice that same reaction from youth. That question that teachers always hear “Why do we need to know this?” Well, the simple answer for both populations is that self-advocacy will not only help you in education, it will also help you  in other areas in life.  

Hi, Lindsey and Others,

One resource that I have used with learners in both high school and adult education programs in Virginia is the I'm Determined Project.  This is a Virginia Department of Education-funded project, focusing on direct instruction, models, and opportunities to practice skills associated with self-determined behavior. While this project is specifically targeted to facilitating youth, especially those with disabilities, to develop a sense of self-determination in their lives, I've found many of the resources useful to those without disabilities, and adult learners. 

For example, The Good Day Plan is a simple tool used to help you identify the factors that play a role in whether or not you have a good day. It allows learners to view their day from beginning to end, and identify a routine that enables them to have a good day.  Learners can use the apps or print template to create an action plan to make a good day happen. The iOS app works only with iPads and includes a Teacher Dashboard that allows teachers to track and manage their class.

Mike

Hi Mike:

First of all, I love the name of the template: Good Day Plan Template  [I am more likely to hear, "I am having a bad day" which seems to signal a shut down of learning.]

I think the template would help adult learners (1) identify what makes a good day for them, (2) examine how things go off track, (3) develop actions to get back on track, and (4) identify any additional supports needed. It could be a tool to go back again to examine any particular day, too.

Cynthia