Getting to Know You!

I am in the process of contacting each of you, a few at a time, so that I can get to know you and, hopefully, help you address your expectations for joining this important community in the world of adult education! Since we have close to 1,500 registered members, I may not get to you directly for awhile. Therefore, please consider addressing at least some of the following questions in this discussion forum. They are also being included in emails to you through the LINCS contact service.

Group Participation

1.         What motivated you to join this Reading and Writing CoP?
2.         How do you perceive your role in this CoP?
3.         What topics interest you the most?
4.         What area of expertise are you willing to share with the group?
5.         Would you like to participate in a book club related to this community? If so, what book(s) would you suggest as a focus?
6.         Would you like to have a guest speaker or a panel on occasion to address a specific topic in our discussion? If so, what topic or issue would you like to have addressed? Please share any resource that you recommend based on your experience to enhance reading or writing acquisition     

CoP Management
1.         Have you signed up to receive daily digests of postings in this group? If not, would you like for me to send you instructions on how to do that?
2.         Have you explored the LINCS Learning Portal and Resource Collection? If not, would you like for me to send you instructions on how to take advantage of those areas?
3.         What questions do you have about how to participate in discussions? I will be glad to send you more information or tutorials in that regard.       

Please respond only to those items you wish, but do let me know here or through email that you read this request. Also, I hope that you will take the time to complete your profile with a photo so that we can get better acquainted. You know what they say about a picture vs words. Thanks! Leecy

Leecy Wise
Moderator, Reading and Writing Community

Comments

My responses, which hopefully make sense.

Group Participation

1.         What motivated you to join this Reading and Writing CoP?

Two things motivated me - my interest in improving reading and writing instruction and my work for LINCS. Even though I'm not currently in the classroom, I do provide PD to teachers in Ohio and around the country and I want to stay current on new research and instruction methods/strategies. My goal is to someday take all I've learned and go back into the classroom to use it.

2.         How do you perceive your role in this CoP?

I am mostly a lurker because I've been out of the classroom for so long I prefer to see what others have to say. Not to point any fingers but that's been slim pickins as of late.

3.         What topics interest you the most?

I have a special fondness for writing and for helping students who are at basic levels. I'll use this section to say that the most valuable writing PD I was ever involved in was the National Writing Project. Simply amazing!

4.         What area of expertise are you willing to share with the group?

I never really feel like I have "expertise" but I'm happy to add to conversations and share resources I think others would find valuable.

5.         Would you like to participate in a book club related to this community? If so, what book(s) would you suggest as a focus?

The previous book study was a huge success (Reading Apprenticeship) so I think another one might generate discussion. Maybe we could get some ideas from the list in the adult literacy wiki?

6.         Would you like to have a guest speaker or a panel on occasion to address a specific topic in our discussion?

I like that idea. The CCR standards are still a hot topic, WIOA is focusing on research based reading instruction, teachers seem to be looking for ideas on teaching how to write extended response for HSE tests, and integrating career pathways into the 3 Rs is continuing to be important.
7.         If so, what topic or issue would you like to have addressed? Please share any resource that you recommend based on your experience to enhance reading or writing acquisition   See #6.

I hope this hasn't been too rambling or odd.  And I hope to see some posts to keep mine company.

Di, your responses make perfect sense. Thanks for adding "pickins" to our harvest.

I would like to have guest speakers and panel discussions. As we start to have greater member participation, I will definitely invite guest experts to share successful reading and writing practices with us here. Let's also look into implementing a book club in July since we need time to get approval for events. In the meantime, let's all start thinking of a book to consider. I'll share more re the previous successful event that will help us launch a successful experience.

Until I hear more from others, I will make an effort to address basic reading and writing levels in our discussion prompts. Can you tell us more about your experience, Di, with the National Writing Project? It sounds like you picked up skills that worth sharing here.

Thanks for taking time to respond to each item. I hope others will follow your leadership! Leecy

Leecy Wise
Moderator, Reading and Writing Community

I would love to talk more about the National Writing Project (NWP). Kent State University's NWP Summer Invitational runs all day Monday through Friday for 4 weeks and is limited to about 16 teachers. Participants write everyday and share what they have written. Each participant does a demonstration lesson. There are book discussions and coaching groups where participants get feedback on their writing. There are guest speakers and assignments where participants go to assigned locations on campus to write. The atmosphere is one of respect and support for writing. I got great ideas for writing prompts, learned about writing territories and 14 other ways to help students build fluency and comfort with their writing and how to help student improve their writing without making them feel like failures. I learned about myself as a writer and that it's hard to teach writing if you're not a writer yourself. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

DI, thanks for elaborating on the National Writing Project (NWP). For anyone wishing more information on the project, you can visit their Website at http://nwp-ksu.org/.

I love your suggestion, Susan. It course or even a Webinar on the topic would make a great addition to LINCS offerings. Anyone itching to spearhead it?

Di, you made a good generalization regarding the teaching of skills. You said, " I learned about myself as a writer and that it's hard to teach writing if you're not a writer yourself." So not true that, "Those who can't do, teach!".  Ha!

Another very important generalization for students is, "Like any skill, writing is something you practice, not something you learn about." As a sports fan, I know that if I want to play tennis, it does me no good to read about. If I want the ball in the court, I have to grab a racket and hit, hit, hit." I suspect that I'll have a few grammar teachers argue with me, and I look forward to the dialog! Let's talk! :) Leecy

Hi. My name is Grayla Reneau. I am a literacy instructor at a community college.

I joined the Reading and Writing CoP  when I participated in a LINCS sponsored Research Study Circle. I see my role in the CoP as an observer, sharer and active learner. I most enjoy hearing about other instructors successes and learning new strategies for teaching adult learners to become better readers and better writers. I also enjoy learning how to effectively motivate my learners to persist and incorporate what they learn in class into their everyday lives.  I have participated in the Reading Apprenticeship book study and found the book and the discussion very helpful. I would participate in another book group if one is offered.

One of the reasons I do not post comments very often is lack of time. My work day is packed and when I get home, just want to have down time. Another reason is that there are so many posts. I sometimes find it overwhelming to follow all of the different threads. 

I have not taken the time to explore the LINCS Learning Portal and Resource Collection. I like the idea of having this resource available, yet once again, lack time to investigate its offerings. 

If the CoP were to have guest speakers or panel discussions, would these events be offered as professional development or a continuation of an ongoing discussion.

Thanks for facilitating this group and for your efforts to improve participation. 

Thanks for helping us get to know you better, Grayla! I hear you re the time issue. Hours, hours everywhere and not a second to choose! :) Our students face similar issues that we might want to address! Still, I hope you can dig a few minutes out occasionally to join us here. You clearly have much to contribute to the rest of us.

I know that the Reading Apprenticeship book study was a huge success, and I want to implement some of the lessons shared in that group. We'll get a Book Club or a Video Club started soon. Maybe next month? Can you share a bit on the Research Study Circle sponsored by LINCS? Sounds intriguing.

As we have more participation, which is clearly developing, I will plan to invite guest speakers or a panel to interact with us.

Your input is much appreciated. Leecy

Leecy Wise
Moderator, Diversity and Literacy and
Reading and Writing Communities

Hi Leecy,

The Research Study circle was sponsored by LINCS Region 4, and was led by a subject matter expert and a facilitator. We met online once per week to learn about research, techniques and strategies that pertain to the four major components of reading, i.e Alphabetics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension. Each component was four weeks in duration, with a break in between each component. At the end of each component, participants would present on their " findings" and report back to the group on what had worked and why or what had not worked. We also shared "tools" we had created or resources we had used and discussed how we used them in  our classes. Sharing resources and learning  about new techniques was the most beneficial for me. Also hearing other adult educators talk about their classroom experiences helped to normalize some of the things that occur in a "typical" adult education class.

Thanks for sharing a compelling idea for this group, Grayla! Let's hear from the rest of you. Would you like to participate in a similar activity in this community? Please post your responses right away as we are in the process of planning an event together. Let's work together to share an event that most if not all of you will enjoy. Leecy