Refurbished computer loan program

Many people who buy a new computer find that they either can donate their old computer to a social service agency or the can pay to have it hauled away to a high tech "depository". The social service agencies then "refurbish" these old-timers and donate them to other agencies, like libraries or community centers. I worked in a class at a library that received 20 donated lap-tops for the ESL class.

The next step is to loan these computers to adult students, or charge a small fee per month. Some people worry about students "not returning" the computers. But ....this does not seem to be a problem for libraries, who loan out books, cds, dvds, etc., every week to thousands of people.....

I believe that this "Computers for Families" program should be an integral part of every Distance / Blended Learning course, especially those designed for the immigrant adult learners.

Comments

Paul, can you or anyone else share a list of agencies that are open to refurbishing and donating these computers? I know in our rural area, to my knowledge, no one offers that service, but it's a great one.

Then there is the issue of teaching student to use the computers that are loaned to them.  What computer literacy programs are out there that might teach students how to write simple passages or develop simple budgets or Excel sheets that are free AND effective? ( would be so happy if Lynda.com were free!) I hope that others here in our community will share sites that might offer training for free!

Leecy

Leecy, well right now I only have the reference to TECHSOUP.COM  that could help. But maybe there is a Goodwill or second hand store that can provide them, which could work out better because it is local. I have seen programs run out of CCs and local non-profits, like Computers for Families in Santa Barbara, Cal., Computers for Kids in San Diego. 

Even High Schools can sponsor a refurbished computer service for adult ed. 

Paul

Leecy,

In doing some further research, I can see that the list I posted is out-dated.

I have read enough to convince me that grants will be much more available to programs that include mobile devices.

More and more adult learners will see that their education is literally in their own hands, on one hand, and , on the other hand, 

foundations will be more interested in funding programs that will include Mobile classes, etc.

I imagine that the Refurbished computers idea would then become out-dated.

Paul

Thanks for the update, Paul. The program here in Cortez, CO has received all of its live-video equipment from different RUS grants: Rural Utilities Service (Dept of Ag). That grant is a "bear" to write and requires collaboration among different entities, but it provides great equipment IF programs have a technician to maintain and manage the services provided. Leecy

Leecy,

It sounds like you have a TV station along the lines of a PA system. PUBLIC ACCESS TV out in California anyway is free "community' TV, that is - it is a Television Station for the community.

I paid a $25 membership fee and was allowed to air three one hour programs per week. Training is free and the staff is very helpful.

There are two kinds of programs - studio and field. Studio programs are taped on site, and require a crew, whereas field production is shot outside the facility, and does not require  a crew. I shot myelf (!) teaching lessons, then took the tape into the studio to edit it, and voila!

SO...the thing is the PA TV station gets its funds from the Cable companies who provide service. It is part of the deal.  

Anyway, you mentioned that the videos can be viewed anywhere, so could you tell me a little more?

One way of the other every adult ed program should have its own TV shows.

Paul 

Paul, we tried live TV programs here, targeting ABE students, where students could call in and ask questions during the program. The service was provided free to us. Unfortunately, we had very, very little response from residents, not enough to continue putting in the time to plan programs.

What we have now is live video interaction, which is very sophisticated technology. The program can broadcast all over the world live to several sites at one time, with students at each site able to interact visually and orally with each other and the instructor. The instructor might want to use video clips in the sessions, but the sessions are live. Of course, only sites that have receiving equipment are able to join sessions. Leecy

Leecy, thank you for clarifying, and the difference is that I taped my lessons which were then aired to the whole community.

For a program like yours taped lessons on PA TV are a way of conducting outreach to the community, like publicity - "hey everybody, come on down and sign up for our classes, here is one"....and also one way to provide "homework" to students enrolled in the classes.

I can see how your system is a bit complicated and expensive. What is the difference between your system and Skype or Facebook's live video chat?

It is all very very fascinating!

Paul

Paul, one math instructor in the program with which I consult does use Skype, and very effectively from what I hear.

I would say that the difference between live video systems and Skype or Facebook's live video chat has to do with sophistication...and cost!

In this program, there are classrooms dedicated to live-video instruction, where students at different sites watch the instructor on huge screens and interact with each other throughout each session. All such classrooms are equipped with student computers at each "station." The instructor can see and interact with students on a large screen, as a whole and individually at different sites, and student at different sites can see and interact with each other in a seamless environment.

It takes training and practice, but when it is done well, it is the next thing to f-2-f instruction. Through this kind of distance ed, the Cortez program here offers all sorts of classes, including credit classes that come in from Utah St. University-Eastern Campus (Blanding, Utah). Students can complete certificate programs, AAs, and all the way to PhD's by sitting in front of "live" screens with instructors on campus and students all over the Four Corners region. By having this kind of system, a credit class can "make" more easily by having students from different areas make up the total needed to offer a class: two here, one there, three there, and five on site, for example. Credit classes do not fit informal or nonformal instruction, but the system is flexible enough to offer informal tutoring and instruction at a distance through very effective technology. Leecy

Leecy,

Your program is ….great! Wow! Every adult ed school should have what you have. And there is no doubt that some day many will.

What I would add to the equation is …..me, or someone like me.

In other words, hypothetically, if I were there in Colorado, I would do exactly what I do in California, but in cooperation or connection with Four Corners, so that my informal classes in ESL would act as a Bridge to your formal education program.

First, I would go visit all the Community centers to show my free websites, and work with them in any capacity to serve the needs of the community. This would include starting a Computers for Families project – getting donated computers from businesses, like banks.

Part of this work would involve getting donated Mobile devices, and finding a way to get low-cost internet connections.

Years ago I used to teach classes in people’s homes, and I would do it again in this context, driving around in my old car.

Swap meets (flea markets) are great places to do publicity.

I could start my Public Access TV program up again, if that is possible. Or maybe a radio program.

The popularity of my Pumarosa program is based on the fact that it is bilingual and makes learning English a little easier, and is often called a Pre-ESL course or a Transition to English Only ESL. And it can be adapted to any Home Language. One of my projects for 2016 is to translate my texts to other languages besides Spanish. So I would look into how to do it there.

What I do is virtually free. So if a program like mine were included as part of the Outreach of Four Corners, the next time you write for a grant, I suspect that you would be put at the top of the list!

In addition it would be much easier for you to get financial support from the community at large, especially from businesses.

The above is, in a nutshell, how I see the future of adult education.

What is needed is a change in direction from the people at the top along the lines of the points made in that report I posted that called for some changes in adult ESL from a rigid, one size fits all approach to a more community minded approach.

I would love to work with anyone along these lines, but at the same time, based on past experience – I do not expect much to happen.

I appreciated the opportunity to have my say.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks for the thorough response, Paul. I'll pass on your suggestions to program staff. Keep in mind, however, that many Native Americans in this vast rural area are native speakers of English, but they are lacking exposure to academic English. They are raised in very small, isolated communities, speaking two languages, with Navajo or Ute being the primary in most cases. The program here no longer offers ESL for a number of reasons, and the Hispanic population here is small. Also, as is typical of rural regions covering huge distances between sparsely populated areas, there are not many community agencies beyond those that presently are written into grants on a regular basis. You can get a better view of the program at http://fourcornerslearning.org/. The program is also starting to implement a STEM Prep project, described on the developing site, http://stemprep.org/.

Please feel free to contact me through email to continue this conversation unless others here join us for more insights. Thanks. Leecy

Leecy, Well, I was using  myself as an example of a community liaison, someone who works with community on a regular basis ...one way or the another....so that their needs can better be served by a CC, or in your case, Four Corners. All of this is predicated on the assumption that developing closer ties and working with community based organizations is a viable option for a "formal" agency.  

Paul 

I couldn't agree more, Paul! Interestingly, the program here works more closely with CCs in UT and NM since the local CC and school districts consider that they are competing with Adult Ed. It's ridiculous, but their resistance over the years has led the program across state borders, but still very close, of course. Leecy

Leecy, yes it is ridiculous, and this resistance is wide-spread among community colleges, and is one of the causes of the crisis in adult ed, especially ESL. Resistance to innovation is a killer.

So the only solution is to begin with community groups similar to those mentioned in the report and leave the 'official and formal' ed centers alone. Community centers are more flexible to begin with, so introducing a community-based, student-centered course structure, that will include mobile devices, will make it  a lot easier for me and people like me to work.

One community center in a city can easily take on the responsibility of liaison with the other adult ed programs, including those in CCs.

I have a feeling that eventually the tide will reverse, and more and more government funding will go to these "grass-roots" organizations. Plus grass-roots groups are eligible for foundation funding whereas many CCs are not.

Paul 

Paul, you are talking about a town of around 7,000-8,000 people serving a vast area. I wish there were community centers. The Adult Ed program is one of...two? Three? Collaboration is essential here. The program collaborates with border colleges, workforce, employers, the city and county, and a childcare provider that trains people to serve. It works very closely with its partner, Housing Development, and the Tribes. That's it. It also shares grants with one other Adult Ed program on the So Ute Reservation and another Ad Ed program over the mountains in a specific project.

Fact is, funders don't understand or grasp what rural programs face. Staff turn over regularly and leave as soon as better pay and FT opportunities come. Can't blame them. No one else offers adult learning opportunities here, yet they compete for funds to serve younger and older adults in different ways. Someone should create a movie on differences between urban and rural programs. It would be highly enlightening.

I wonder if others in this community face the same challenges in rural areas. Please jump in if you can add thoughts to this discussion! Leecy

Leecy, Ok, I have a better idea of what you are up against. I think this is a good example of what I am trying to get at. I of course do not know the area you serve, but I imagine that throughout this area there are: churches, meeting halls, service centers, etc. I know that Native Americans have councils and community leaders.

If there are no adult programs being run out of these centers, then my idea is that a CC or "formal, official" adult program like yours would meet with the leaders of the community in the above locations and discuss setting up classes on site, that is at the churches, meeting halls, elementary schools, etc. 

The "Liaison" would be a person like me, hopping in his car and driving out there, talking to people, seeing what is needed and what can be offered, etc.

Then you can set up a special group that would design programs to meet the needs of the entire community.

Funding would have to come from non-profit grants and, more importantly, from the community. I am serious when I say from bake sales to fund-raising concerts.

Leecy, my mother used to say two things to me all the time: "Where there is a will there is a way" and "There's a method to my madness". It took me 50 years to figure out what she was talking about it.

Si se puede!!!!

Paul