HOME LANGUAGE LITERACY CLASSES

Leecy, I would like to raise the issue of providing Home language literacy classes to adults. I know that English literacy is offered in libraries, but mostly for people whose first language is English. Home literacy - or L1 - is equally important and would be most welcome wherever it is provided.

In many community centers around the country, Home literacy classes are given to adults already. The Mexican government provides materials and training to community centers who want to begin Spanish literacy classes. There are online courses provided for free or a small cost.

To me Diversity also means inclusion.

Paul

Comments

Paul, for sure! In the context or our community here, diversity is discussed, in my view, as a means of raising awareness to the reality that we we are one human race. How can we implement strategies that include rather than separate people with diverse interests, preferences, backgrounds, home environments, language origin, and more?

Tell us more, Paul, about home language-literacy classes to adults for both native speakers and second-language speakers!

I hope that others will soon join us here with comments and tips on how to honor diversity in instruction. Comments?

Leecy, I am very glad you asked! 

Right now I am only familiar with the Mexican government's Spanish literacy classes in the US, and a program called Leamos.org out of LA. Then there is Plaza Comunitarias. 

I suspect that every community has a Home literacy class somewhere, run by volunteers.

Once I taught ESL in a project that offered English with me, Spanish literacy with the Mexican government's course, and Citizenhship. I was trained a little in teaching Spanish literacy, and I can see how this model could be used in a community center.

Below is some information that explains more. Paul

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Examples_of_programs