Changing Policies

Leecy, in order for us to build Diversity and better serve the underserved, mainly adult immigrants, we also need to make changes in the policies that govern the "formal" sector.

But – exactly what are the policies? And – how can they be changed?

For example, the Minimum Attendance Requirement (MAR). In some cities it is much higher than in other cities. But the real issue is that it is no way to run a class. Personally I think it is cruel to cancel  a class after a few months because attendance drops to an "unacceptable" level. 

Adjunct teachers - in some schools these teachers cannot teach more than 15 hours a week, which leaves them the only option of becoming "Freeway Flyers", driving form one class to another - usually across town. 

Plus I recently read that the salaries of these teachers have been lowered.

This type of situation plus the threat of closing a class due to a drop in attendance causes a lot of anxiety not only with the teachers but with the students.

Curriculum - it appears as if English Only is the "law of the land" whether the students, teachers or administrators like it or not. Beginning ESL students often feel more comfortable and learn better in a bilingual based class. In other subjects, such as Math, it is not necessary to know English to learn the Copernican Theorem, for example.

Who are the learners in adult education? Recently I read that too much funding for adult education is being used for regular education, especially in City Colleges. Exchange students seem to be classified under adult education, for example. On the other hand classes for immigrants are being cut. What can we as educators do to influence policy in this situation?

I do not work in the system, and have little knowledge of how things work at this point, but I would like to find out.

Paul

Comments

Paul, you said, "...in order for us to build Diversity and better serve the underserved, mainly adult immigrants, we also need to make changes in the policies that govern the "formal" sector." I would add several additional populations to the list of "underserved." All of the groups listed for discussion in this Diversity and Literacy group would qualify.

As for changing policies, I don't think any of us succeeds in setting out to change policy. My take is that policies change as people change. When effective strategies are implemented and recorded, they often become models for others to replicate, and policy often evolves.. However, informal or nonformal programs tend to be short on data, and policy makers look at little else.

I hope others will drop in and help address the issues you have raised. Leecy

Leecy, you may be right about our inability at the grassroots level to work for change and so the answer to the question: How can we change policies? …is …we cannot.

The problems I listed are at least 10 years old, and I only included a few. So I am not sure that the policy makers really do look at the data. Many policies are based on no data at all.

I have cited several articles by Sean Kennedy whose point of view is that the system is broken and needs to be fixed. He wrote several years ago, and so far I guess nothing is happening in the area of needed reforms.

I personally really do succeed when I set out to make changes, so you have given me some good food for thought here.

Thanks, Paul ......http://lexingtoninstitute.org/author/sean-kennedy/