Week 2: Definitions and clarifications

It was great to read through the introductions shared from 7 of our 14 group members this last week. If you have not had a chance to reply to that thread please do as it helps everyone have a feel for who your are. If others would like to join our group, we are welcoming all new members this week as well. 

Our focus this week is to discuss some key terms and to ensure everyone is clear with our goals. As you may have noticed, I posted a bulletin in the group that outlines the general goals and time frames of our work. Please take some time this week to review those items and the timelines. If you have questions or need some clarification, please post your questions here and we can all work to refine the language and goals so we are all on the same page. 

Language is so important. In fact, the hardest part of getting this micro group started was picking a name and description of the work. In the title of this group are the words Tools and Resources. We are of course focusing on digital versions on the Internet, but I think we may need to work on describing each of them in terms of our work. Do we need each? Are there other words that more clearly describe "the stuff" on the Internet we should focus on?

To start, here are some dictionary definitions of each:

Tool: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tool

Resource: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Resource

Please find some time to look through the many definitions of each of these terms and share some thoughts to the following:

1. Is there a clear cut definition for either term that fits your conception of what is out there on the Internet you feel this group should be evaluating? If so, please clarify how that definition fits in your mind. If not, are there key words or phrases that stick out as useful for either term?
  2. In our introductions, many posts shared challenges with just how vast the amount of digital "things" are available and how quickly new ones come and go. Clearly, as awesome as the talent is in this micro group, we are not going to be able to take in the entirety of the Internet. Using your reflections from #1 above, how might you best describe in a paragraph, what "things" we are going to be focusing on in our work. It is best if you do NOT look at others posts before you formulate your ideas (of course this is hard with the daily digest spitting those thoughts at us in email). 

In fact, I offer the following quick survey with the above questions if you would rather share your input without influencing the thoughts of others right away. On Wednesday evening this week (1/20/16) I can offer a post listing every response by name so we can then start discussions, questions or thoughts on each other's input. If you would rather just reply here, that is of course acceptable. I will try really hard not to peek before I formulate my response cheeky

It is important that we all have a common vision of what we perceive the "stuff" on the Internet is. With clarity, we can then start in on creating categories in future weeks that are effective for the widest range of "stuff" as we define it. 

Comments

We have had a few people respond already (thank you for finding that time!) and others are encouraged to share your thoughts. You need not use the link to the form that was offered, you can simply reply to this thread here. Of course you may want to go do that right now before finishing reading this post because I am going to share the thoughts others have shared right now 

Here again are the online definitions and the questions, I will put responses quoted text under each question with the contributors name in parenthesis after the response. Please feel free to agree, disagree and discuss all with the intent of us nailing down some working definitions we all buy into by Sunday if possible. 

Tool: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tool

Resource: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Resource

Please find some time to look through the many definitions of each of these terms and share some thoughts to the following:

1. Is there a clear cut definition for either term that fits your conception of what is out there on the Internet you feel this group should be evaluating? If so, please clarify how that definition fits in your mind. If not, are there key words or phrases that stick out as useful for either term?

One key distinction for me between these definitions is their readiness to be used in accomplishing a goal. For example, a field of rocks may be a resource for someone who wants to build a stone wall. However, a wheel barrow is a tool s/he would need to move these rocks to where the wall is going to be built.

In terms of technology, I respond more closely with the term tool, largely because of this definition: a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task. I like this definition for our group, because it is focused on something in the learner's hand, not too overwhelming, and individualized to their specific needs/goals as a learner. (Mike Cruse)

These are great questions, by the way. I recall using the term tools with educators in India and we had totally different notions. For this I see tools as any technology that is not content based that can be used in teaching or learning. Although an Elmo might fit that definition I am thinking more in terms of apps or web2.0 tools for example.

Although tools could under resources for me they are content based the inform practitioners or learners. (Steve Quann)

For me, the key is word is "resource" -- it must be there to teach someone about something. And do it effectively.  (Nicholas Anderson)

I think of a tool as being associated with a verb. It is something that one can DO something with. In contrast, a resource is something that is used, consumed or referenced when one is doing something (probably with a tool). With those two definitions in mind, I suspect most of what we find out there will be more resources rather than tools (Ed Latham)

2.In our introductions, many posts shared challenges with just how vast the amount of digital "things" are available and how quickly new ones come and go. Clearly, as awesome as the talent is in this micro group, we are not going to be able to take in the entirety of the Internet. Using your reflections from #1 above, how might you best describe in a paragraph, what "things" we are going to be focusing on in our work. It is best if you do NOT look at others posts before you formulate your ideas (of course this is hard with the daily digest spitting those thoughts at us in email). 

I hope that the things we're focusing on are the tools that learners will be able to adopt and use independently to achieve their goals, and accommodate their unique needs and circumstances. I don't have as much confidence in a one size fits all approach when talking about tech with adult learners. I see that frequently in K-12 education, and while I think I understand the rationale behind it, I think it's a mistake when thinking about individual learner needs. (Mike Cruse)

As I said those that impact teaching and learning. To me that might tend to be less tools that deliver content and data on progress but I am open to those as well. I tend to lean to those tools that motivate (see my magic wand wish) and make learning easy and fun and relevant so learners who are busy want to learn more and persist. (Steve Quann)

We are supposed to be "assessing online tools or resources for adult education teachers and tutors." So, this should mean online Professional Development stuff targeted toward Adult Ed. (Nicholas Anderson)

Obviously, one can not build a house without tools and resources, but I am not so sure Education is a direct parallel to such construction. I focus so much more on what can any "thing" do or be used for that helps learners discover new learning opportunities. I don't care if it is called a tool or a resource as that is not important when I introduce something to a teacher or learner.  I suspect we would find many more resources out there based on my definition above. If we wish to focus on helping educators, we probably would want to focus more on tools. If we wish to focus more on things that offer independent learning opportunities, I suspect more of the resource definition would apply. (Ed Latham)

There we go, some great ideas already out there! Thank you again for those that were able to find some time. I wish to invite everyone to comment, ask clarifying questions, or to offer your suggestions if you have not done so already. I am hopeful that we might all be able to pick pieces of what has been shared to formulate some working definitions we can at least use in our future discussion and work. We don't have to all agree 100% with any one interpretation (not sure that is possible), but we all do need to feel comfortable when we read each other throwing the words Tool and Resource around. Let the discussions begin!!!

Mike I really related to the first paragraph you wrote in your response to question 1. It seems very much in line with what I was thinking.

I am not really clear on your second paragraph. In particular, "..a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task" Might not a worksheet(printed out of course) fit into that description in that a worksheet aids a learner in being able to practice a set of skills? Would you have any issues with someone referencing a collection of digital worksheets as a tool?

The word "handheld" also jumped out at me when I started thinking about all the different technologies available. True many are portable and can be held in the hand, but that wording almost implies that desktops, LANs and mainframes might not qualify at tools one might use now  Were you meaning something different?

Ed, thanks for your questions.  The word 'handheld' really resonated with me, but it raises a lot of questions too.  As far as seeing worksheets at tools, yes, I think they definitely can be included here.   Still, I like the idea that an app on a smartphone or tablet has the ability to adjust content based on a learner's correct and incorrect responses.  I'm not familiar with any 'smart worksheets' that can target instruction/practice the same way.  If there's such a product, I'd be all for learning more about it!  

That said, a plain old fashioned worksheet will work for some learners better than any app, just based on comfort with the technology.  Again, it's about finding what works for each learner.  Working in a high school that serves both traditional students (ages 14-21) and adult learners, I see younger students who struggle to stay on top of paper-based tasks, but are engaged with most tasks that are presented on a phone or tablet.  Older learners haven't grown up with this interface, so they are often slower to adapt to the technology.  As these younger learners become the adult learners of tomorrow, I think that the focus will shift from paper-based tasks to ones accomplished through mobile technology.

Mike Cruse

Steve I see that your focus is on tools and I appreciate that in question 2 you distinguished between tools that track data or deliver content from those tools that help motivate or open learning options. You did mention you could support both. If we were to include both of your flavors of tools, do you feel it would be important to segregate those categories as we present resources to the field and if so how might you see that happening? 

Hi Ed, I do not think there is an absolute need to categorize in that way. Although I do think teachers might tend to keep their eye out for tools for classroom activities. I also like how you described resources as being different from tools.

Nicholas, it was interesting to read your response to #2 in that your focus is on professional development "things" out there. No one else mentioned PD support, but I think we can all agree that the field would love more support available for PD.

This got me thinking about what a professional development "thing" might be...would it be a tool or a resource or both or neither? Could you share some examples of things out there that might fit in with your thoughts connected to you response to number 2? I wonder if any tool or any resource could be used as a PD support depending on how a given tool/resource was presented or depending on what strategies people in the field used when approaching the usage?

Between #1 and #2, it almost sounds like you are sharing a thought that it does not matter what we call something, it is important that how each item is USED is more the focus. Can you offer clarification or correction on my interpretation?

Hi Ed,

Sorry for the late reply. But I think you did a good job describing a resource vs a tool. For me, when I think of a tool in education I think of some sort of classroom tool that educators can use to improve their teaching in some way. So in a way I see tools as supporting pedagogy/andragogy. But a resource for an educator would be a knowledge boosting exercise, like practicing your content knowledge. So a resource is for learning, which is why I equate a resource with a type of PD experience. Here is an example of an online resource as I view it. 

So interesting how I've been using these terms interchangeably! Great idea to get us to be specific. I just did a quick web tour to see how others are using them.  On the AlphaPlus site, they seem to think of tools as a more discrete concept and resources as a broader more abstract concept, though this is not articulated.  I think I agree wtih this. Then I did a general search to see how the terms were used more broadly in the tech world and came up this this from StackExchange 

It seems to support the AlphaPlus use of the terms.  

I think there is one more term we should figure out how to use, Learning Technologies. This is a term used in academic research on tech in education.  I tend to think it's more of a tool than a resource.

Thanks!

Jen

"Resources", of course, is very general. Here I believe we are talking about "education resources", still pretty general. More specifically, online (or digital) education resources. I think we are primarily concerned with two categories of online education resources: online tools and online content. Online content resources includes proprietary (commercial) and free content. Among the free online content resources are Open Education Resources.

Online Education Tools has several categories: online administrative tools, online learning assessment tools, online teaching tools, online learning tools, and perhaps others. Among the online teaching tools are presentation tools such as slide presentations, video presentations, screen capture presentations and more.

This could be vast and very complicated. I suggest that to start with we focus on online education tools, and think about the categories for those such as those I have mentioned, and perhaps others. We could also think about sub-categories of these. I have drafted below an outline that may be useful, although certainly is incomplete.

David J. Rosen

Djrosen123@gmail.com

Resources

Education Resources

Online (Digital) Education Resources

Content 

Proprietrary

Free

OER    

Tools

Administrative Tools

Learning Assessment Tools

Teaching Tools

Presentation Tools

Video Presentations

Screen Capture Presentations

Slide Presentations (such as PowerPoint and Prezi)

Multimedia Presentations

Learning Tools