DIVERSITY AND TECHNOLOGY

Leecy, the other day a friend of mine mentioned that computers and smart phones are great for us old folks to take classes. And that is right. I am not as mobile as I used to be so I am thankful for my mobile phone (excuse the pun).

So…basically people who are disabled, elderly, busy with jobs, family and kids…all can benefit from one kind of mobile learning or another.

Right now a smart phone or android can access many websites, YouTube (lots of various lessons there), Facebook, and then there is WhatsApp, etc., and plain old talking by phone.

This can also be called “Learning on The Go”, as Kathy on Technology so aptly said.

So I would say when we talk about adult education and Diversity issues, let’s include this new technology. It works and is very, very interesting.

Paul

Comments

I couldn't agree more, Paul. I know that older folks in the Four Corners region typically resist working on smart phones or androids other than to make phone calls, if that. In fact, they often resist computers, period.

What can we do diminish this resistance to digital resource by the elderly? How can we provide them with easy and fun ways to get their toes and ankles wet? Leecy

Leecy, although there is some resistance to using technology among adults, especially us old folks!, I have found that there are always people in the class who are good "helpers" or teacher's aides. So, one by one, everybody will be encouraged, coddled, and nudged into using smart phones in the class, including teachers!

Actually, any teacher can create a Facebook page and add groups, and at the same time start a YouTube Account to make videos of topics like...using smart phones. If that doesn't work, well we can use WhatsApp and I have a few students who would love to contact people in a class in Colorado or Texas or...anywhere to share information and ideas and know-how. They help me all the time via Facebook.

Actually  if anyone would like to review my groups, etc., please email me at pumarosa21@yahoo.com.

Paul

Good points, Paul.

Do you or anyone from very isolated rural areas find that instructors are very hard to find and usually work other jobs to make a living.? Result? Instructors simply don't have the time to participate in PD opportunities or learn the technology that their students are likely to benefit from, young or old.

In the Four Corners, few really use social media or other digital media for instruction. It's the nature of the "game" in isolated, very poor programs. Time is a huge factor among administrators and staff struggling to just keep the doors open. You who live in more urban settings enjoy the benefit of many resources that rural communities simply don't have. Comments anyone? Leecy

I live in a very rural setting. We have a town with brick roads, the locals still call the highway the 'hardroad' because it's paved, and there is not a single stop light in the community. We are in what was once called 'Forgotonia, Illinois - or Forgotten, Illinois." I find that embracing digital literacy / technoloyg is the only way to expand my professional horizons. I don't think the hesitancy is that older adults don't 'want' to use technology, or don't know how to use a specific medium like Facebook, but that older professionals consume these resources in very  different ways than their younger counterparts. (Full disclosure - i am in the 'older' category.) 

Think about this: Baby boomers spend about 9 1/2 hours a day with media. Generation xers are immersed in media about 15 hours per day while Net geners spend nearly 20 hours per day consuming media. (I originally disputed this concept. When do they sleep? But students keep phones by their side, waking up to alerts, text messages, and tweets all night.) 

The differences are not only in the amount of time people spend with media and technology, but how they consume it. Baby boomers often consider a digital device as a way to recieve informaiton and a cell phone is for talking to people. Yet, younger students who are immersed in technoloyg consider digital devices as a highly personal tool. It's how they connect to everything and everyone.

My point is that even in rural areas - there is access to a great of flexibility and technology resources. Often, its how we use these resources that matters.  I don't think teachers need to learn a new technology as much as they need to expand how they are already using media. 

Thoughs?