Volunteering is a kind of pre-professional internship

This video, “Internships and placements: Pre-professional practice (https://youtu.be/yl7APcdY-Dc),” from a University of Queensland edX.org course touches on how an internship can prepare one for the world of work, especially if one has no work experience to put on their resume. If you think about it, volunteering for a literacy organization is a kind of internship that provides the same kind of learning opportunities that a more traditional internship at a business or government organization provides. I don’t think many people realize this.

Comments

Hi, Robert - 

Yes! As someone who provides direct service to vocational rehabilitation consumers, I have often encouraged individuals - both with and without previous work experience - to consider volunteering as a way to build work experience and their resume.  This is sometimes a difficult sell when working with persons with already full schedules. I'm curious how you, and others, think teachers and program managers can help support volunteerism by adult learners, as a means to gaining work experience.  

Are there examples of literacy programs providing learners with the opportunity to volunteer with their organization?  If so, what does that process look like?  Do learners apply, and possibly even interview, like they would for many other community volunteer opportunities?  I am interested in hearing what has worked, and what has not.  

Mike Cruse

Career Pathways Moderator

michaelcruse74@gmail.com

Mike,

Volunteering for a community-based literacy organization offers a career-minded individual far more opportunities for developing a comprehensive set of professional skills and expertise than other types of volunteer work, such as those that relegate volunteers to emptying bedpans in a hospital. Here are a few of the opportunities:

Community-based nonprofits, no matter how small, are part of a vast network that includes federal, state, and local governments and agencies; international organizations (e.g., ProLiteracy); and the educational system at all levels. If you want to learn about the big picture, this is the place to be.

Although a community-based nonprofit’s responsibilities equal those of a mid-sized to large business, they are grossly understaffed. Any help is usually welcomed. This provides opportunities to learn about marketing (online and off), grant writing, IT support, and all other kinds of office management and business administration activities.

In a globalized reality, literacy volunteers are provided with an opportunity to interract with learners from a variety of backgrounds and cultures. This is a valuable 21st century skill.

Does anybody have any other thoughts or comments on this?