Register now for College Readiness for Adults: Beyond Academic Preparation!

Registration opens for spring offerings of online professional development courses from www.professionalstudiesae.org

College Readiness for Adults: Beyond Academic Preparation!

The overall objective of this course is to assist educators, counselors, administrators and postsecondary partners to better prepare their students for postsecondary education. Together, we will identify, organize, and reflect on the broad array of readiness skills and abilities that adults need to be successful in postsecondary education and training. Then, each of us will consider how to change our practice to incorporate what we have learned. The course was developed and written by Cynthia Zafft, Principal Investigator for the National College Transition Network, World Education

Course Dates: February 21 to April 10, 2013

Full Course Description: download PDF

Course Instructor: Jody Maloney

Estimated Completion Time: 24 hours/7 weeks

Course Fee: $269.00

Registration: http://professionalstudiesae.worlded.org/register.html

Group discounts available! Call (617)385-3740 or email literacy@worlded.org for more information.

Questions? Please e-mail literacy@worlded.org

ProfessionalStudiesAE.org is a partnership of World Education, Inc., and ProLiteracy/New Readers Press. Visit http://www.professionalstudiesae.org  for a complete listing of available courses.

Comments

Hi Kaye and all.

I was reminded of the discussion that we had here last month that was focused on noncognitive skills because I am certain that Cynthia's course would include information focused on that.  A few years ago at the Nat'l College Transition Network conference, the keynote speaker was William Sedlacek, who works on assessment of noncognitive skills, so I know that this is fundamental to her.  Here's a link to the ALE Wiki page that lists the resources that everyone shared focused on noncognitive skills from that discussion we had:  http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Assessment_of_Noncognitive_Skills                                                                                                                         (by the way, I realize not all these resources are about assessment so I will reorganize them accordingly soon - but I wanted to share the resources with you before I end up getting down to that).

Anyway, I thought I'd add that note about this course - perhaps some of the folks who were discussing the noncognitive topic would be interested in checking it out.

Marie: Thanks for bring up the topic of noncognitive skills in ABE. In my new free workshop for 2013 I review extensive data on
intergenerational inequalities in education and economics. I also present data from many studies to suggest that greater investments in the education of undereducated youth and adults, many of whom are parents or will become parents, can help break the multiple life cycles of inequalities in education and economic achievement. One section in my workshop deals with the intergenerational transfer of noncognitive skills and reviews research to support the teaching of such skills, including Dorothy Rich's MegaSkills and  William Sedlacek's work. The workshop emphasizes the importance of advocating for adult literacy education as much for the effects such education has on adult's children as it does for the employability enhancement of adults.  

Workshop Title:
Intergenerational Workforce Literacy Development

Presenter:
Dr. Tom Sticht
International Consultant in Adult Education

Schedule

Part 1 9:00-10:30am
Contemporary Issues of Intergenerational
Inequalities in Education and Economic
Achievement: Investing in Early Childhood Education,
Career Pathways, and Postsecondary Education
for Youth and Adults