English Practice Partner Training Help!

Hi Everyone!

I'm a job developer working with refugees out here in Los Angeles. The wait times on our Free ESL classes have been incredibly long as of late, and to help supplement this I am working to set up an in house volunteer English Practice Partner program. I do not have experience in teaching English and was hoping that you could recommend some resources that could help me set up this program and/or help me train volunteers to do this effectively. Many Thanks for any help or ideas that you can offer!

-Jacey Dapper

Comments

Thanks for starting the discussion, Jacey. We have the same need at the community-based program here in Colorado where I teach academic-prep ESL. And it looks like I'm soon going to be recruiting, training, and maintaining our volunteer group. 

I'm going to start by looking at our program's accountability requirements.  I know some grants require programs to train volunteers in a certain way, for a certain number of hours. We don't have that kind of accountability at my program, but I still want to check with my Board of Directors to ensure we all have the same outcomes in mind. Then I'll probably write up a summary of the project, with measurable objectives (including number of volunteers we're aiming for), volunteer job description(s), and a timeline. For me, it's going to be important to have a plan.

RE: Recruiting. We have a list of people who've dropped in for various reasons in the recent past, and I'm going to be in contact with them. I plan to send out a mailer -- postcard, probably -- and follow that up with a phone call. Calling to let someone know that a mailing is on its way makes a strong introduction for the request, so the phone calls have to be timed right. I prefer a hard copy mailing, but emails would probably work, too.   

Those are my first thoughts, and I'm hoping others will share their experiences in this area, too. Especially interested to know -- are there any pitfalls to watch out for when organizing a volunteer program?

Nadeen Lester, Open Door Academic ESL, Longmont CO

Right now I am just starting the process of planning the program. Right now we are recruiting in a number of different places. I am speaking to College professors ( which might not be as helpful as Longmont may not be close enough to any college) to recruit students in the teaching, language and social justice departments to volunteer with us. We also don't have a lot of space for these classes but have been recruiting church groups in the community to volunteer and host the classes. This has been very fruitful as the church's volunteer groups are largely retired folk that are available to volunteer on the weekdays! I you have any other ideas for recruitment let me know! would love to stay in contact as we both build our programs. Feel free to email me JDapper@ccharities.org

Hello all!  It's been months since I've posted to any of the wonderful LINCS groups. I'm trying to change that practice, trying to make more time to contribute, respond. [And still SO missing the ease of the earlier email discussions, before LINCS moved to this platform.]

I use diigo a lot to bookmark sites I've found useful, and often use diigo as a 'go to' source when I read questions like Jacey's.  [https://www.diigo.com/profile/blogblossoms if you care to explore my lists] 

I checked my diigo 'tutors' list, checked a few to be sure they're still valid links, and will share these:

http://www.mlots.org/

http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2009/05/04/the-best-online-videos-showing-eslefl-teachers-in-the-classroom/

http://adultliteracytutor.blogspot.com/

http://www.grassrootsbooks.net/

https://www.diigo.com/user/blogblossoms/volunteerTraining

https://sites.google.com/site/valrctechtraining/links

http://lewwwp.com/page/grammar-and-general-english-resource-links-list

http://lewwwp.com/group/focus-on-listening/page/links-to-targeted-listening-practice

A brief note about my background = I have been an active Literacy Volunteer, tutor trainer, board member; served as Volunteer Coordinator for an Adult Learning Center for several years, taught ESL and GED (variety of classes, including the pilots of a 'Dialogue Cafe' and a distance learning program); taught EFL in South Korea (visiting professor at a university), and have been teaching 90% plus online for over 7 years now. I have presented at various Virginia conferences, and a few times at TESOL conventions.  

For anyone interested, http://lewwwp.com (LEWWWP = Learn English With a WorldWide Perspective) is the site I currently lead classes and discussions from, using a Ning social learning platform.

NOTE:  I hope my sharing of LEWWWP.com is not in violation of LINCS practices:  I founded LEWWWP after EnglishCafe.com closed their wonderful site.  LEWWWP is in the process of attaining (501)(C)3 nonprofit status, but has been online since February 2012, growing slowly, steadily.  Anyone over 17 and interested in learning/practicing/teaching English is welcome to register and join us free.  Every week, at least two hours of free live classes (via Skype and/or Google hangouts) and one hour or more of text chat office hours are offered.  Any member of LEWWWP is welcome to join these, free.  

Disclaimer:  Courses are available on/from LEWWWP (which DO require payment) but these are entirely optional and only a small percentage of our members currently participate in these.  

LEWWWP is highly interactive, well-suited for learners/volunteers who want to engage in real English practice.  Over 1500 blog posts (from our 900+ members), over 7000 discussion threads are on LEWWWP, with thousands of reply comments by self-directed learners.  All of these are viewable, completely free, without the need to register (though registration is required if you want to add your reply comments on LEWWWP; only members can post).  

I invite you to take a look (a glance through the Latest Activity stream on the home page will show you how steadily interactive LEWWWP is).  LEWWWP is not a 'static' site. If this might be a resource for you, a help for volunteers you are hoping to work with, and/or a resource for learners on your waiting lists, I welcome you all to join us and to explore, participate.  [Once you register, registered members only have the opportunity to use LEWWWP's 24/7 text chat and always open Google+ hangout space, too.]

Hoping some of this information will prove to be of interest, relevance, and be helpful,

Holly

Holly, Thank you so much for sharing all these useful resources! LINCS is a wonderful community to raise questions, problems solve and network with adult ESL teachers, tutors, coordinators, etc.from across the US. So glad you are part of our community!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

Hi Jacey and Nadeen, Good for you for taking on this important work. You are raising some good questions. I know there are many  members who can offer ideas, suggestions and lessons learned about starting a volunteer-based adult ESL program.. Let's hear from our volunteer-based program folks!

Some resources that might be useful can be found at the Elder Literacy Initiative website. They offer an entire curriculum designed for volunteers who are working with individuals who are at the beginning level in English and have had limited formal schooling. This tutor guide, complete with student handouts, is appropriate for all adults, not only elders.

Nadeen, are you seeking volunteers to work with advanced students on academic English?

Moderator, AELL CoP

In an adult class, our students are also our peers. They may begin a class with the normal expectation of the student – teacher role, but as things develop and emerge, more and more they begin to take intitiative not only in their own learning but in helping others in the class, and can serve the role of tutors probably better than a regular tutor.

I think too that under these conditions the role of the teacher evolves to that of a guide, advisor and … a reference librarian. I think learning is easier and faster in this way, and more enjoyable.

Paul

Susan, the link to resources you posted was extremely helpful, thank you!

I would love to connect more with people running volunteer based programs! Are there any groups on here you would suggest I join and post in, or any outside places/websites I might be able to connect with them. I am incredibly excited about working with volunteers on this and want to make the program as rich and meaningful as possible. THANKS for your response and help in this

Jacey

Hello Jacey, and others,

USA Learns is a free, widely-used, adult ESOL/ESL online instructional resource that you may find helpful. Although originally designed for computers, it has recently also been optimized for smartphones and tablets. It was developed by adult ESL educators in California. You will find it and many other adult ESOL/ESL resources on The Literacy List, and I call your attention especially to the ESOL/ESL page. The web-based resources on The Literacy List have been identified, and the document has been updated for over more than a decade with the help of adult basic skills and English language teachers and tutors such as those in this Community of Practice. I hope you will take advantage of these useful resources, that you will also let me know if a web link is no longer active, or if you have a web-based resource to recommend.

Holly has mentioned the Media Library of Teaching Skills (MLoTS). This is a free professional development website designed for adult basic education and ESOL/ESL teachers and tutors. Think of it as a "video window on other adult education teachers' classrooms," where you and others can see edited versions (generally videos that are 4-12 minutes long) of authentic adult education classroom teaching. It also has a large section of Other Adult Learning Videos which, while not necessarily authentic classroom videos, may also be very useful for ESL/ESOL teacher professional development.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hello Nadeen, Jacey, Holly, Paul, Anna, David and all, thanks David for pointing everyone to these useful web-based resources. I wanted to mention another resource for training teachers and tutors and that is the wonderful New American Horizons video series. These videos are of authentic adult ESL classrooms. You'll find 12 videos on a range of topics, including Lesson Planning for Life Skills, Beginning Literacy with Adult Emergent Readers, Growing Vocabulary with Beginners, Teaching Grammar in Real Life Contexts, Developing Reading Skills for Intermediate/Advanced Learners and more. Each video is about 30 minutes and would be an excellent resource to include in tutor or teacher training.

Moderator, AELL CoP

Hi Finn and everyone,

Just got back from the CamTESOL annual conference in Phnom Penh and would like to share the work of some wonderful Australian teachers who created a small publishing company for teachers to produce materials that are aimed at low literacy adult learners. Sharon Duff, Maggie Power and Carmel Davies have produced books and CDs called Sing with Me!, Clare Harris has written books including Maybe Next Year, with a Teacher's Guide and Workbook. Their work maybe be found at http://www.urbanlyrebirds.com. They gave an amazing workshop, showing how singing can be used to teach chunks of language, emphasizing final consonants, linking consonants and syllable stress. Some materials are free on their website and others may be purchased at reasonable prices.   These materials remind me of New American Horizons materials in that they're authentic and engaging and appropriate for adult emergent learners.

All the best,

nan frydland

Hi Nan, How wonderful that you had the chance to visit Cambodia. I was lucky to travel there myself a few years ago. What an unforgettable experience. I hope you had a chance to visit Angkor.

Thank you for sharing these wonderful resources! I'm eager to check them out.

Moderator, AELL CoP

Hi Nan, The LINCS website has been updated recently. Clicking on "submit on a query" is like signing in. There are a few new features that are different, which may take a little getting used to. If you have trouble, don't hesitate to contact tech support. They are always very helpful.

Did you get to Angkor in Cambodia?

Moderator, AELL CoP

Hi Finn,

Thanks for the tip about the sign in.  Yes, I went to Siem Reap and saw four temples, including Angkor Wat and rode an elephant! In Phnom Penh, went to the Genocide Museum with a young lady who had her own tale of horror to tell.

Cheers,

nan

Hi Nan, The ancient temples at Siem Reap, including Angkor Wat, are amazing! I saw a man walking an elephant down the street in Phnom Penh, but I did not ride one. That must have been an experience.

My trip to Vietnam and Cambodia still deeply resonates with me on so many levels, especially since I've worked with so many immigrants from these places. I would love to return there one day.

Moderator, AELL CoP