Language and Culture - Bilingual instruction

Good morning, everyone. Language is an important part of culture. And our personalities are conditioned by our culture. Respect for other cultures and languages, then, is also respect for the individual.

At the present time, including the students’ native languages in the classroom instruction, one way or the other, is very easy to do through the internet. Multi-lingual classes in many subjects can be managed more effectively than they could ten years ago.

Actually, in teaching ESL, I have found that a bilingual approach is very effective for a number of reasons. First, there are many similarities between Spanish and English so that a translation of a lesson often helps students learn it quickly. Second, a study of the differences between English and Spanish  helps learning.

I have seen that speaking Spanish creates a more relaxed atmosphere in the class, a key ingredient in helping people master pronunciation, speaking, and grammar.

Plus…my students have helped me learn Spanish, and still do, which provides a good basis to establish a student-centered environment, a key to adult education in general.

Paul

Comments

Hi, Paul. You are certainly right that "Respect for other cultures and languages, then, is also respect for the individual." Of course, there are many ways of doing that. Perhaps a dialogue might develop here around that issue.

I hope you and others will share ideas on how folks in the Nonformal Adult Education microgroup might initiate delivery of all types of instruction to their learners, including GED, ABE, and other subjects, such as work prep classes. I know that in the very rural Four Corners region, live-video instruction is being used a lot to connect with residents. However, live-video conferencing is an expensive proposition. I wonder what others are implementing to reach adults learners through technology that might not be as expensive. Any ideas?

Hi Leecy and others,

The Peer2 Peer Universiity learning circles in Chicago Public Libraries have had groups of adult learners who have focused on particular job readiness and health occupational training online courses. One of the courses used in a Chicago Public library, for example, was an entry-level health care certificate course. Learning circles have also used courses in resume writing, writing job or college applications, and interview skills. Nonformal education programs anywhere could use a blended learning model like this, using the P2PU Learning Circles' project free, open source  Facilitator Guide, and this Literacy List Web page of online work readiness and occupational skills courses for adult basic skills learners.

There are several proprietary online HSE preparation courses such as GED Academy, that a library could subscribe to for a nominal amount and that could be delivered as a nonformal blended learning model, possibly using the P2PU Learning Circle model, or through a literacy volunteer program.

There is an online adult basic skills program, known as Core Skills Mastery. that might be used in a nonformal blended learning model such as learning circles or a volunteer program.

Let me know if you want to explore details on how to do any these. Post your questions here and we can discuss some ideas.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

David, thank you for writing this explanation. We can gradually add to the list, and also include other subjects and venues for learning, such as YouTube. Eventually, maybe soon, we will have a list of programs, courses and classes with explanations or instructions that can be used as the Master to help any non-profit agency such as a library set up any kind of Blended learning program that they would like. Actually I am eager to go out and about to knock on doors to explain this "new" form of adult education, Are we looking at the future here?

Paul