FUNDING ISSUES FOR RURAL AREA AND NONFORMAL PROGRAMS

Leecy and group members, I think that the interests of rural adult education programs and programs sponsored by community-based NGOs, the nonformal sector, coincide, especially in the area of funding issues.

Both are not eligible for federal funds, usually, primarily because of certain requirements revolving around attendance requirements.

Both are usually a big part of the communities they serve.

For these reasons I strongly suggest that we investigate private foundations and grants as well as “creative” fund-raising events.

I once joked to the director of an NGO literacy program that perhaps Jennifer Lopez would be interested in singing at a benefit concert. Of course, at the time, it was just a joke….but we never know unless we try!

Also, I would like to add that there is a great deal of interest in programs that “bridge the digital divide”, which is a lot easier now with mobile learning.

In any case, I personally would like to work with people to research funding sources for rural areas and for nonformal, community-based programs. Once we make a list of all the sources of funds, including creative ideas, we can work together on joint grants, etc.

Interested?

Thanks,

Paul 

Comments

Hi, Paul. I know that programs in the Four Corners could benefit from a dialogue on funding, along with many members here. How would you like to start this initiative? Do you want us to start posting funding sources that are promising? Do you want us to list needs? How would you like to proceed? I'll add my thoughts.

Suggested Foundation:  A program here in the Four Corners region was funded by Walmart for $60K to implement a health training project a few years back. We've reapplied a few times with no success. I am glad to share the proposed idea that was funded with anyone here interested. http://giving.walmart.com/foundation

Need: Programs in this rural, multicultural region are most in need of operational funds. They can access instructional assistance, but is is hugely difficult to find funding to operate programs. Those that do receive federal funding are only allowed to spend 5% on administrative costs, which doesn't begin to pay for running programs. In other words, those who run projects and pay for clerical and technical staff must volunteer a lot of time while working other jobs while desperately seeing grants to cover costs.

How about all of you who are now part of this community, ideas? Resources? Leecy

Hi, Leecy, and group members, first, the focus should be on finding funding through the private sector, totally apart from Government support.

The private sector is not encumbered with restrictions and unworkable regulations, although there are specific guidelines we have to follow to get grants.

You mentioned Walmart. Other large companies also provide funding for literacy programs, banks, for example.

The members of the board of directors on Non-profit NGOs often are from the private sector, so perhaps they could contact their companies.

But I also believe strongly in community support. Fund-raisers should become a major “task” of any agency. Here a Volunteer could work wonders, or maybe an army of volunteers!!!

Joint grants are very attractive to a funder. For example, if the library system, several non-profit agencies, and the PTAs in the area all could write a joint grant to get a Literacy Mobile, I am sure that it would be very attractive to an educational foundation supported by a private company in the area.

At the same time, I am a big fan of small fund-raising events, such as bake sales! These can involve the students and the community much more than writing grants can, and, for all we know they could organize a big event in the town square.

Finally, in order to get all this in motion, members of the various adult education agencies, especially from the Nonformal sector, need to meet and talk about working together in a region-wide Literacy Council.

Yes, let’s continue the dialogue, and maybe we can help the programs in Four Corners.

Paul 

Leecy and group members, I think that to answer the challenge of funding for NGOs providing adult education services in rural areas, and elsewhere, we must first make a list of all the major foundations that provide grants to such programs. The Gates Foundation is the best example, it appears.

The next step would be to contact all agencies in the area to find out:

1. Their interest in applying for grants
  2. What kind of funding they need
  3. What kind of programs they presently have and also that they would be interested in developing in the future.

Step 3 would be to hire someone full time to coordinate grant writing and program development with a focus on joint grants.

For example, I like the term Mobile Learning because it can be used two ways: first a real LiteracyMobile, such as a converted mobile home like a library’s Bookmobile, and, second. actual Mobile Learning via cell phones, Tablets, etc. So, funds are needed immediately to purchase a mobile home and convert it.

So, in a rural area, the Literacy Coordinator would hop in the LiteracyMobile and drive around to meet with all the agencies that provide some form of adult education service. Perhaps we would first find a supply of books – hard copies, like the “old days”, that these agencies could use in their classes, just to get the ball rolling. In the process the Coordinator would learn first-hand what would be needed for each agency, and from this develop a series of workshops with the people in charge.

Now let’s say that there is no Internet service. But at the same time there are lots and lots of programs on CD Roms. Plus every teacher is capable of creating Discs with lessons – text, audio, and DVD. Here we just need to start up a Computers for Families style refurbished computers provided either free or at a low cost.

Then, of course, the next step would be to find out how to provide Internet service to each area, and also to determine if mobile phones can pick up the Internet independently. If not – why not? And what would it take to get it “turned on”?

The worst-case scenario is that we would simply have to create and develop programs “old school” style, with books, whiteboards, cds, dvds, etc.

If Public Access TV is available, anyone can produce a program with classes.

And then build it up from there.

By the way, the above is pretty much how I used to run my own program light years ago, and now….

I have a strong suspicion that there is grant money for any agency that would develop this kind of adult education network in a rural or urban area.

More and more there is interest in the use of Technology and Mobile Learning in particular.

And I also think that local fund-raising for this kind of effort would be very successful. Just hop in the LiteracyMobile and go visit everybody and ...ask!

Paul 

I recently read on an EdTech listserv about the Farm Bill Broadband Loans & Loan Guarantees, from the US Department of Agriculture, and remembered this topic thread.  These loans and loan guarantees could be used to help adult educators and affiliated community service agencies to improve, or provide access to broadband internet access.  The following about the loans is also available in the Federal Register announcement.

During FY 2016, loans will be made available for the construction, improvement, and acquisition of facilities and equipment to provide service at the broadband lending speed for eligible rural areas. Applications must be submitted in accordance with the interim final rule published July 30, 2015. 

Application Materials: All applications must be submitted through the Agency’s online application system located at http://www.rd.usda.gov/ programs-services/rd-apply. Paper applications will not be accepted. 

Dates: Applications must be submitted through the Agency’s online application system no later than July 7, 2016 to be eligible for FY 2016 broadband loan funding. 

Contact: For further information contact Shawn Arner, Deputy Assistant Administrator, Loan Originations and Approval Division, Rural Utilities Service, STOP 1597, 1400 Independence Avenue SW., Washington, DC 20250–1597, Telephone: (202) 720–0800, or email: Shawn.Arner@wdc.usda.gov.