A HYPOTHETICAL MODEL OF COLLABORATION

While walking around doing some outreach the other day, I visited a CBO (community based organization) that offered ESL and Citizenship. So I chatted with the teacher and gave him my flyers.

After I left, I continued walking and within two blocks I passed a library and a church, both of which advertised ESL classes.

You can imagine the light bulb that went off over my head!

What if, I thought, representatives of all three of these adult education “providers” were to get together once a week to map out a plan to work together? And what if they came up with a plan that included creating computer labs, purchasing textbooks and other materials, and developing programs for the kids?

They then could present the plan to various funding agencies, such as the state and federal governments, large charitable foundations, and local businesses.

Now, between these three locations there is a large park. So I thought to myself, what if…they could have a fund-raising concert? And invite some famous singer? And have lots of food? And give speeches and hand out information about the classes they offer?

Maybe some VIPs would show up, and spread the word!

Then …they could all form a local Literacy Council that would work toward generating interest among the majority of adults in the area!

It can be done, I am convinced!

Paul

Comments

Great thinking, Paul. I imagine that rather than hypothetical, there are people in this community who have been successful in creating the type of collaboration that you described. Let's hear from some of you. Ideas are needed! Thanks! Leecy

Hello everyone, Paul, your inspiration about the immense potential of collaboration is right on the mark. In fact, many if not most funders these days, e.g., United Way, are looking to make a "collective impact" so that community services are streamlined and do not duplicate efforts.

Along the same lines, OCTAE's recent initiative Networks for Integrating New Americans focused on five networks across the country that collaborate on services to immigrants and refugees in their communities. As part of each network, the adult education partner needed to be central to the efforts. Members can read about this work in the LINCS collection here.

Stay tuned for more details about these networks and what they've each accomplished --as well as lessons learned-- as part of the technical assistance each received.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP