Distance Learning Collaboration Possibilities

David and group members, concerning getting collaborative grants – the main point is developing a Distance Learning program that involves a number of adult education providers from the formal and the nonformal organizations in the community.

Most community-based agencies receive grants from the private sector all the time.

I can see no reason for a grant request from various organizations to be denied by the federal or state governments on the grounds that it is a ‘collaboration’.

Years ago I attended a Grant Writing workshop and there were a few points that stuck with me:

1. Most organizations do not receive funds because…they do not send the grant application in to the appropriate foundation. That is they do not read the guidelines and ‘rules” of the funding agency. They also do not send it in on time.
  2. Foundations like to give money to groups that actively raise money as part of their operations.
  3. And they like to give money to organizations that work in collaboration with others in the community.

The name of the workshop was KISS – keep it short and sweet. Many people make the mistake of writing novels when all that is required is a short, short story.

Once a grant application is written it becomes a template to send in to any funder.

A Distance Learning Network could be set up between a library, a low-income housing complex, a community center, a church, and the local community college. Cell phones are becoming more and more the tool of choice, so students would probably have more interest in such a program.

Anyway, in my opinion, it is worth a try.

Paul

PS – The recent post about the conference in Philadelphia is very exciting for a number of reasons: First, it is focused on using technology, and by now just about every adult education class should be connected one way or the other.

Second, a big light bulb went off over my head when I realized that this is sponsored by the city!

In other words, anyone can make a presentation to a city council to sponsor similar conferences. And also to school boards.

And who better to show interest in a community based, collaborative Distance Learning program?

Comments

Thanks for your comments, Paul. I don't think the government would ever deny a program funding simply on the basis of its being collaborative. In fact, collaboration is highly promoted in government RFPs!

I consult with a rural program in the Four Corners region of Colorado, Unlimited Learning, Inc,, which has state-of-the-art live-video conferencing equipment, funded by the RUS grant through the Department of Agriculture. That proposal is about the come up again, if it hasn't already. This program is willing to collaborate with any other adult ed programs that wish to start live-video delivery of content. The grant writer for these RUS proposals is a dynamite pro. If you wish to collaborate in this effort, drop me a note or respond here.

Unlimited Learning, Inc  is also seeking funding to cover operational costs, which very few sources, if any, fund, especially in rural programs. This program is highly equipped, but underfunded to administer, house, and maintain its programs. Federal Adult Ed funding doesn't cover administration of services over 5% of the budget, which doesn't begin to cover costs.

Note: I provide staff training for instructors to use the system to deliver live-video instruction. I also run a Moodle system for this project, to deliver instructional content to students, who are supervised by coaches in three different SW CO programs. Unlimited Learning (fourcornerslearning.org)  has great content and ideas and is looking for partners with similar visions. Oh, yes, and money to operate everything! (The program's site is being updated, so be patient with some of the links.) Leecy

Leecy Wise, Moderator, Reading and Writing, and Diversity and Literacy CoPs
leecy@reconnectioncompany.com