CBT in Regional Jails/DOC

Hello everyone!  I am the GED teacher at a Regional Jail in Bowling Green, VA.  We have just recently been able to start offering the 2014 GED on computers because after a rather complicated process, we have been set up as an official testing center.  I am curious about how you offer the GED in your facility.  Are you DOC or a regional jail?  Do you give the test on desktops or laptops?  Is your computer lab within your facility or is there a mobile lab that comes to you?  Anything advice you have?

Thanks so much!

Comments

Good morning Krista -

Check out www.robertjanss.org   The Idaho Department of Correction has been using CBT since April 2014, however, not without some growing and learning pains.  There are resources, links, and FAQs to reference.  Hope this helps.

Ted Oparnico

Krista, sorry for the delay in responding to your question. I administer the GED and GED Ready in a correctional setting. I have a fixed testing site with 10 testing PCs that is being constructed as I write. And, I have a 5 station mobile unit that I take to other correctional settings within my testing region. Our testers took some time to adjust to CBT; however, since we have now had it in place in my testing area for a year, they have become much more accustomed to it and have related that they prefer it. As you know, noise is a major factor in any correctional education situation. Jails, prisons, detention centers, diversion centers, and field units etc. can be very chaotic and noisy. If you all have a loudspeaker system, it might be worth exploring the possibility of having the speaker in your testing room or in the hall by your testing room turned off, at least during testing sessions. As always, a very good working relationship with the jail/DOC administrator/unit manager/Superintendent is absolutely necessary for a successful assessment program and even more vital to a CBT program. In addition, a very good working relationship with the Chief of Security and line Security Officers and Supervisors helps to make things run smoothly. Offer to speak at their next department heads meeting and/or muster to provide some context for them about CBT and how essential quiet and timely arrival of testers is to a successful program. I wish you well with your new endeavor. It should be a promising and rewarding experience.