Are you using graphic organizers?

Hello Colleagues, I am interested in using graphic organizers in my beginning ESL class as a means to increase the rigor of my instruction. Graphic organizers can support students to engage in higher order thinking.

I did an introductory activity using a cause and effect graphic organizer this morning. To get started, we talked about what the effects might be for different scenarios: getting a new job, having a new baby,  a big snowstorm. The students generated several effects for each scenario.

We then applied the cause/effect graphic organizer to a story we were reading, "Tire Trouble" from Reading Skills for Today's Adults. In the story, Zach has a low tire. Students were able to readily identify the effects: Zach stopped at a gas station; he added air to his tire, and he stopped a few times on his way home to re-check the tire.

For those who are interested, Eduplace has a number of graphic organizers that can be copied for classroom use.

I'm wondering if others can tell us how they are using graphic organizers with adult English learners. Please share your tips!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

Comments

Susan, I like your tie-in to real world problems.   I use graphic organizers as  pre-writing  for a variety of  activities. Now  I can see where it could be used as a pre-discussion organizers too.  

Hi Lynda, Thanks for your comment. Could you tell us a bit about how you use graphic organizers for writing? What type of organizers have you found to be most useful? What level of language learners have you used graphic organizers with?

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL