Innovations in Informal Learning - Tech Tuesday

The U.S. Department of Education's Office of Educational Technology invites you to join in a Google Hangout: Innovations in Informal Education: Leveraging Tech to Expand Learning Opportunities

Join Zac Chase, ConnectED Fellow and 2016 National Education Technology Plan lead, in a conversation with experts from P2PU (Peer 2 Peer University) and Chicago Public Library providing innovative informal learning experiences for all ages.

Tuesday, May 24 from 4:30 - 5:00pm ET
Join the conversation: http://jo.my/FutureReady

Innovations in Informal Education: Leveraging Tech to Expand Learning Opportunities 5/24 4:30pm ET http://jo.my/FutureReady

Comments

Colleagues,

At 4:30 ET on Tuesday, May 24th, Peer 2 Peer University's Learning Circles lead, Grif Peterson, and his colleague from the Chicago Public Library will be talking about a successful nonformal blended learning model that has been operating in branch public libraries in Chicago. To join this 30-minute Google Hangout:

Go to http://jo.my/FutureReady  No registration needed. Join the discussion using #FutureReady .

David J. Rosen

Moderator, Technology and Learning CoP

djrosen123@gmail.com

Technology and Learning Colleagues,

I would like to follow up on Tuesday's U.S. Department of Education-sponsored Google Hangout on nonformal learning models with a few questions about Peer 2 Peer University (P2PU). Grif Peterson, the Learning Lead there, has joined the Technology and Learning Group, and I invite him and his Chicago Public Library colleagues -- if they can join us -- to respond.

1. For the benefit of those who could not attend the Google hangout, could you provide an introduction to P2PU and links to where T & L members could get more information about it?

2. Could you tell us what Learning Circles are, and why they were created?

3. Could you tell us about the pilot testing of Learning Circles in the branches of the Chicago Public Library? For example, what were the demographics of those who attended the Learning Circles? What courses did they take through Learning Circles? What is the role of the Learning Circle facilitator? Who were the facilitators, and how were they trained?

4. What were the outcomes for those who participated in Learning Circles? Did they complete the courses and/or accomplish their stated learning objectives? Any other interesting outcomes?

5. How do you see Learning Circles benefiting adults who need basic skills, for example those who may be on waiting lists for English language learning classes or those who are preparing to take a high school equivalency exam?

6. Where are Learning Circles being used now?

Everyone, if you have questions for Grif or for his Chicago Public Library colleagues, please post them.

Thanks!

David J. Rosen

Moderator, Technology and Learning CoP

djrosen123@gmail.com

Hi Paul,

In Chicago, we used laptops for the Learning Circles. While some online course platforms are now optimized for mobile, the majority are not, so limiting to mobile would limit the scope of courses available. We do send automatic text message reminders to participants before each session.

Grif, I am interested in learning more about the library learning circles.

I have set up my own mobile ESL learning circles or study groups on WhatsApp, using lessons on several of my own websites. These groups have proven so successful that I am now in the process of writing a grant to provide funds so that I can run a Pilot Program at a local library.

I will try to review your program by this weekend to see what we have in common and perhaps how we can work together.

Thanks!

Paul

Thanks for these follow up questions, David. 

I think the best resource for people to look at should they want to know more would be this Introduction to Learning Circles presentation, as well as our Learning Circles homepage: learningcircles.p2pu.org. From here, people can see Learning Circles that are currently running, create their own, and read through the facilitator handbook. Also, KQED recently wrote up a nice article about our program, suggesting that libraries could be the key to the success of online learning

P2PU is a non-profit organization that supports learning experiences outside of institutional walls. For the last 18 months, a big component of this work has been through Learning Circles: lightly-facilitated study groups for learners who want to take online courses, together. As David mentioned, this project started as a collaboration with Chicago Public Library, where over 20 branches have now run Learning Circles.

We worked with librarians to identify online courses they wanted to facilitate (they didn't have to be content experts), and then promoted the Learning Circles locally, like book groups. People then came (usually in groups between 3-12) for 2 hours/week to the library for 6-8 weeks to take the online class together. Subjects included resume writing, intro to web design, public speaking, GED math prep, academic writing, and others. The role of the librarian was not to teach, but to support a peer learning community and make sure things run smoothly.

After the pilot rounds, we found that retention rates in Learning Circles were close to 50% - much higher than the same courses being run solely online. Furthermore, 65% of learners we worked with were first-time online learners and about 1/2 did not have a computer at home. This is what is exciting for us - Learning Circles provide an opportunity for adults previously disenfranchised from online learning to harness it's potential in a peer community. There are a number of other interesting outcomes in the slideshow I link to above - the vast majority of learners indicated they might be interested in facilitating a Learning Circle in the future - that speaks to both the scalability of the program and the type of pedagogy that is baked into the Learning Circle methodology.

While this work started with libraries, we see it as a viable blended learning model that is both low-cost and empowering for participants. We're currently in conversations with community colleges, ELL sites, community centers, a public park in Detroit, a national library system, and a number of different organizations about ways that we can invigorate online learning opportunities through Learning Circles.

David has been a remarkable advocate for our work, and I'm grateful that he has taken the time to lay out this discussion here on LINCS. If you or anyone you know might be interested in running a Learning Circle, feel free to reach out! All our tools and resources of freely-available online. In addition, we offer the following services:

1. Training workshops for librarians and volunteers who want to facilitate Learning Circles 
  2. Support to identify online courses that you’d like to run in your community (or build a course!)
  3. Custom homepage and web hosting to support any specific branding, hosting or other needs
  4. Assessment, monitoring, and data collection
  5. Ongoing project management/support