USING AUDIO BOOKS

Susan and group members, Audio books are a valuable resource for use in any class, especially in ESL classes. Below is a resource and article that you may find useful.

Paul

http://gettingsmart.com/2016/04/the-case-for-making-audiobooks-part-of-curriculum/

The Case for Making Audiobooks Part of Curriculum

April 29, 2016

By Guest Author

By William Weil

Audiobooks are more than a nice library resource or good for struggling readers–they are an important literacy tool, extending from early childhood through high school. This assertion may come as a surprise to many educators who are familiar with the latter and skeptical of the former.

Adding a listening component to reading instruction is highly effective. In fact, ‘just listening’ is now a standard in every state in the nation. Here’s the concept: repeated exposure to sophisticated spoken words drives vocabulary acquisition and retention, which is a key component of reading proficiency. So why is this important?

Nearly two-thirds of all U.S. 4th graders read below proficiency, according to the most recent NAEP scores. That number rises to 79% for low-income kids, and 53% of all students qualify as low-income. The root cause of the problem is a lack of vocabulary, famously described as a ‘word gap’ in Hart and Risley’s seminal study.

Reading proficiency is attained through decoding skills and word knowledge, the latter being a combination of vocabulary and fluency, (i.e., do you know a word, do you know the way it’s supposed to sound, do you have context for the word). Students who can decode words but lack an understanding of their meaning are not reading proficiently, and proficient reading is the key pathway to academic achievement.

Solving the Word Gap

Thus, in order to solve the achievement gap, we must first solve the word gap. It might then come as a surprise that vocabulary instruction is neither frequent nor systematic in most schools. How can this be? Let me suggest two reasons:

1.  Vocabulary is acquired through exposure to tens of millions of words; classroom teachers cannot move the needle on their own, particularly given demands on their time.

2.  Educators historically relied on parents, who in most cases were able to read aloud to their kids every day.

Not any more.

According to a study from the Pew Research Center, only 51% of parents currently read to their children every day, falling to 39% in non-white families. Worse, 32 million adult Americans cannot read, and low-income parents are often not at home (working multiple jobs) or cannot read in English.

How Audiobooks Help

Audiobooks are a valid listening component, providing rich exposure to sophisticated spoken words in school and at home. We’ve seen evidence of this in the work we do at Tales2go, but wanted to be more rigorous in our approach and have data to support our argument. We contracted with WestEd, a leading educational research nonprofit, to evaluate the use of Tales2go in a San Francisco Bay Area school district.

The resulting study was completed in January 2016 and broke new ground by examining the impact of audiobooks on student vocabulary and literacy. The results were noteworthy, indicating Tales2go is a promising literacy tool. It was designed to determine the effect of adding an audiobook listening component to reading instruction, specifically the impact on student vocabulary, reading comprehension and motivation to read.

It was done as a randomized controlled trial with 2nd and 3rd graders in an afternoon program for 10 weeks. Study parameters included just listening (i.e., no paired text) and listening three times a week at school, and twice a week at home; each session was at least 20 minutes. Overall fidelity to implementation was good, particularly given the afternoon program coordinators’ other responsibilities and competing enrichment activities.

Key takeaways include:

• Students using Tales2go attained 58% of the annual expected gain in reading achievement in just 10 weeks, putting them three months ahead of the control students.
  • The increase in annual gain corresponds to a 33% improvement in the rate of learning for the period.
  • The treatment group outperformed the control group across all measures, by 3.0x in reading comprehension, nearly 7.0x in 2nd grade vocabulary and nearly 4.0x in reading motivation.
  • Greater impact on reading achievement is possible if Tales2go is used on a regular basis, both in a classroom literacy rotation and at home.

On the one hand, none of this is controversial. Hearing more words leads to better student achievement. On the other, audiobooks shift the responsibility for reading-aloud away from parents and educators. This is an uncomfortable thought. Yet it offers a realistic and effective solution to the problem.

Listening at School and Home

There are many well-funded programs and initiatives that exist today to eradicate the word gap, ranging from listening devices clipped to children to count the number of words they hear, to the government’s recent $250M investment in Open eBooks for Title I students. Almost all of them are focused on parent-child interactions at home, with the assumption that parents are the key to the solution and/or placing more books in the home will solve the problem.

Let me be clear: all parents should read-aloud to their kids, and getting books into homes is a good thing. However, who exactly is going to be doing the reading? And while getting parents to talk with their children is helpful, it is not sufficient. The words children need to know are in books. Most parents will tell their children to: “Look over there” versus “Observe, child.”

Tough times call for innovative measures. District administrators should add audiobooks to their curriculum. Examples include dedicated listening stations as part of classroom literacy rotations, and required listening at home. Such a decision is consistent with State listening standards and will be appreciated by parents who need the help.

For more see:

William Weil is a founder and CEO of Tales2go. Follow him on Twitter: @wsweil.

Stay in-the-know with all things EdTech and innovations in learning by signing up to receive the weekly Smart Update

Comments

Excellent article.  I began life as an early elementary teacher.  I always told parents the best way they could help their children succeed in school was to read to them - even up through elementary. Since my adult language learners don't have someone to read in person to them, audio books would be great.  Our program used to have an on-line subscription for New For You.  Students could listen and follow along to articles. Voice of America provides many good listening opportunities  with and without text.  http://learningenglish.voanews.com/

We use only lessons with listening and handout printing option. I don't recommend any text books or work books without audio CD option. I am a firm believer of addressing all 4 areas of language learning from day1. Listening is the hardest for students out of class, as they are embarrassed or do not have the confidence to interact with native speakers. Telling students to practice with native speakers out of class is good in theory, but not very practical. In my experience with  students, listening to CDs, MP3 recording or audio books and reading aloud  the text  improved the listening /speaking skills tremendously. It also improves their reading comprehension . Since most of my students want their kids to do well in school,  we help the parents to adapt to the  American educational system and its expectations. American K-12 schooling is completely different from most other countries I am familiar with. Our students really like children's books on tape or CDs. We teach our student the importance of reading to their K-5 children everyday, and make them understand that it is a homework requirement unlike paper pencil work they are used to. Of course, then the comment is " we can't read well', gives us the opening to introduce audio books and reading/listening together everyday for at least 15 minutes. We help them  get a library card  and our library is blessed with a lot of resources. It is a joy to see some of these adults who never read for fun, enjoying children's books; something they missed or didn't have the opportunity to enjoy. I know they are not age appropriate, but it works for them like rediscovering a lot part of their childhood.

Anitha, I agree with you 100% - it is very important to teach all 4 skills together, from Day 1!!!!!!

I always begin with phonics, and focus on the difficult sounds first = G/J, short I, Th, short u, and V,  and use lessons on the alphabet and numbers to ‘introduce’ my routine which is done in a humorous way. When people see me stick out my tongue and laugh, well that breaks the ice.  I will go look at the resource you mention. Thanks!!!!

Great!!

Hello, Paul and all!

I just had to drop in (and go beyond "lurking") to say THANK YOU for this excellent highlighting of a much underused but uber-effective strategy, that of audio books.  Anitha, your comments about students as parents helping child students resonates deeply with me.  We used to have a program where we focused on these adult students/their children which is no longer funded, but which will always be a filter for me in working with students.  Our students often do not surround themselves with English language books and often not even spoken English, so audio books and other mp3's are GREAT.  

Thanks again,

Dave

Just wanted to add another reason to use audio books and read aloud. Adults are often shy, self conscious and/or embarrassed about their accent, so they will be hesitant to speak to native speakers.I tell my students to be active learners not passive listeners. 

They have to read aloud every reading many times. We practice to stretch the lip and use the front or the back of the throat, tongue behind the teeth and all other pronunciation techniques. But after the two hours two times a week class they don't have me or my assistant to hold their hands.  They are to listen to the pronunciation of words from the audio or the dictionary. com audio prompt and repeat until they can reasonably say the words and improve fluency.  If they are unwilling to follow our instructions, we will tell them to find their own tutors to study. Different groups have their own set of expectations and ideas about learning based on their schooling experience. 

We tell them from day one this: to function effectively is an English speaking country they have to change their strategy.  What worked in an English as a foreign language class in their home country with the sole aim to pass an exam or a  test is ineffective in the US. The first step is leaving the obsession about accent and work towards communicating so others can understand.

Thanks to Paul and to Lynda, Anitha and Dave for commenting on this thread about the value of audio books. I agree that audio materials of various kinds -- in addition to audio books-- are indispensable in teaching ESL. As many of us head toward our summer break from classes, it's great to have these resources to share with students, so they can access them during the break. 

If anyone has additional useful audio or video (with transcripts) resources to share, please do. One I can recommend is the National Institute of Health's Senior Health website where you can find a nice collection of videos --especially with transcripts-- on health-related topics.

Looking forward to learning about more useful websites for audio files and videos that are appropriate for various levels of learners!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

Lyricstraining.com has been a fun resource for students with pretty good listening and typing skills.  Many students tell me they learn English through music, so this fits right in.  Under Genre there are so many music choices - from metalic to religious, kids music to movie dialogue.  

<div>I just wanted to add that for several years I have had students use California Distance Learning Project&nbsp; &nbsp;<a href="http://www.cdlponline.org">www.cdlponline.org</a></div&gt;

<p>A&nbsp;reason I like this site, of course, is&nbsp;because students can use it as independent learners. I teach them how to navigate the site, which is easy. They can read an article and listen to it. I suggest that they read along. There are also exercises teaching new words, spelling, matching, reading comprehension and also writing. The students can send me their scores and writing by e-mail directly from the site.&nbsp; I don't know how up to date the articles are, as I really haven't used it in over a year, but the material is good.</p>

<p>Now that I am here, I have to say I am a lurker and really enjoy reading your posts. I have always used Paul's Pumarosa site with my Spanish-speaking beginners to help them catch up to the other students and am thrilled at learning about all these new tools that you all share.</p>

<p>Thanks so much,</p>

<div>Judith Aguilar</div>

<div>Centralia College</div>

<div>Centralia, WA</div>

Judith - it is good to see that you use PUMAROSA in tandem with the CDP. I am very interested in learning more.

Now PUMAROSA is available on mobile phones.  And there are other programs that have been "mobilized", like Cell-Ed.

You mentioned that Puma helps Spanish-speaking students catch up....that is exactly how it should be used.

Thanks for your post.

Paul

Hello Judith, Thanks for sharing the link to the very useful California Distance Learning Project site, which works both on computers and mobile devices. Stories with audio as well as practice exercises, as featured on this site, support learners to study on their own. Of course, the site can also be used in the classroom. If a teacher wanted to use the site for classroom instruction, as you note, one should check the stories to ensure they are not outdated.

Members, if you have additional online audio and video resources that you have found useful, please share them here!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP