Canadian Language Benchmarks and the four areas of language learning

Susan and group members, Below is some information about the Canadian Language Benchmarks which should prove useful.

Canadian Language Benchmarks - XI

The following table illustrates how the CLB are organized.

Stage I – Basic Language Ability

Benchmark and

Ability Level

Listening

Speaking

Reading

Writing

CLB 1: Initial

CLB 2: Developing

CLB 3: Adequate

CLB 4: Fluent

Interpreting simple spoken communication in routine, non-demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Creating simple spoken communication in routine, non-demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Interpreting simple written communication in routine, non-demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Creating simple written communication in routine, non-demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Stage II – Intermediate Language Ability

Benchmark and

Ability Level

Listening

Speaking

Reading

Writing

CLB 5: Initial

CLB 6: Developing

CLB 7: Adequate

CLB 8: Fluent

Interpreting moderately complex spoken communication in moderately demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Creating moderately complex spoken communication in moderately demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Interpreting moderately complex written communication in moderately demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Creating moderately complex written communication in moderately demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Stage III – Advanced Language Ability

Benchmark and

Ability Level

Listening

Speaking

Reading

Writing

CLB 9: Initial

CLB 10: Developing

CLB 11: Adequate

CLB 12: Fluent

Interpreting complex spoken communication in demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Creating complex spoken communication in demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Interpreting complex written communication in demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

Creating complex written communication in demanding contexts of language use within the four Competency Areas.

XII - Canadian Language Benchmarks

Progressing Through the Benchmarks

Research shows that learning a new language takes time and effort, and the rate of progress is unique for each skill and differs amongst learners. This is normal and reflects many factors, including, but not limited to, the following:

● Similarity of English to the first language

● Formal education

● Opportunities for exposure to English outside the classroom

● Motivation

● Natural skill or talent

● Life situation

Many learners may be adept at one skill but struggle in another so that progress is inconsistent across skills. Some learners may achieve a benchmark and then plateau indefinitely. Others may plateau for a period of time and then surge ahead. It is helpful to remember that there is ample room for lateral development and progress within a benchmark.

CLB-Based Assessment

The CLB standard can be used for formative and summative assessments. It is important to note that the CLB document itself is not an assessment. It is a standard that can inform assessment by providing the information needed to guide the development of assessment tools. Currently, there are a number of existing assessment instruments aligned to the Canadian Language Benchmarks. These instruments serve a range of purposes, from initial placement to outcome evaluation and eligibility. It is beyond the scope of this document to describe every CLB-aligned assessment or to suggest how assessment results should be interpreted.

The most common types of CLB-based assessments are as follows:

Standardized Testing

Standardized assessment tools are developed and validated for achievement, placement or outcomes testing that either assessors or instructors can administer under rigorous test conditions to produce reliable results.

Instructor-Based Assessment

Instructors use the CLB as the basis for creating their own informal assessments of learning and achievement. In doing so, instructors ensure that the tasks, texts, performance conditions and performance criteria they are using to assess learners’ performance are consistent with the criteria set out in the CLB. For achievement assessment, learners demonstrate ability in the various competencies by carrying out…..

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/language-benchmarks.pdf

Comments

Thank you for posting the link to the Canadian Language Benchmarks, Paul. Our Canadian colleagues have developed some wonderful tools and resources. In addition to the resource you've posted, Canada also has a document that addresses learners with limited formal schooling, ESL for Literacy Level Learners. This resource outlines the following levels for this unique group of learners: Literacy Foundation Phase, Literacy Phase I, Literacy Phase II, and Literacy Phase III. Importantly these benchmarks also address Numeracy.

I'm wondering if any of our members have drawn upon these tools. If so, please let us know how you are using them. For those who are learning about these resources for the first time, please take a look and give us your thoughts on their usefulness.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

Susan, it's great that you have mentioned the ESL Literacy Network out of Bow Valley College in Calgary (centre.bowvalleycollege.ca/networks/esl-literacy-network).  Their curriculum framework and handbook for those with limited or interrupted formal education (LIFE) have provided me with most of the tools that I use in working with our low-beginning  English language learners.  I have found them to be among the best of the very meager resources dedicated specifically to the "LIFE" learners. The publications are written for practitioners  and the  resources and suggested activities are great.  The course "Teaching Adult ELLs Who are Emergent Reader" available  on LINCS (formerly on ELL-U) is based on these resources.  

I continue to use the literacy readers, a series of leveled printable stories, for TRUE beginning readers.  A few are unique to Canadian culture and localities, but the majority are based on common lifeskills, work, health, school, etc.  These can be accessed at:  esl-literacy.com/readers/.  It is wonderful that all of these resources are made available at no charge.  Anyone who is working with learners at these lowest literacy levels should take a look at these. 

Thanks again for referencing them!

Rhea

Hello Rhea, Thank you for your strong endorsement of these great materials provided for free online by our wonderful Canadian colleagues. I have drawn upon these materials quite a lot myself. At the Bowe Valley College website, you can find the ESL Literacy handbook, a curriculum framework as well as the ESL Literacy Readers.

You also mention the LINCS ELLU online course on Teaching Adults Who Are Emergent Readers. This is the only course I am aware of that addresses the needs of adult English learners who are learning to read and write for the first time. The course is well worth the time and effort, and of course, it is free.

Comments from other members who are using the Bowe Valley College materials and/or who have taken any of the LINCS ELLU online courses are welcome!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP