Homeless Adult Learners

Diversity and Literacy Colleagues,

In some areas of the country, for example in Boston where housing costs have spiraled wildly upward, and across Massachusetts, many students, including those in HSE preparation programs and in college, are homeless. http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2016/08/kids_on_their_own_on_city_s_streets . "In the last school year, state data showed there were 21,226 homeless students, an increase of nearly 9 percent over the year before. Included in that figure was the mind-numbing reality that anywhere from 600 to nearly 1,000 youngsters, according to two different surveys, are living on the streets without parents or guardians, nearly 100 in Boston alone." Commonwealth Magazine Daily Download, Monday. August 15th.

Do you have learners in your adult basic skills program who are homeless? If so, is homelessness for adult learners trending up in your area? If so, how are you addressing the problem?

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

David and all, it appears that even in the back woods of Maine, homelessness is increasing. Perhaps we are just hearing about it more with people feeling it is safer to share that sensitive information in small towns? Whether it is increasing or we are just having more homeless come out to get help, we do see more coming through the adult education door. Very often, career centers or other agencies are referring homeless to adult education as part of the support services available. I have heard one student share, "Look, I have to do well with this class or I loose my spot in my temporary housing situation..." On the one hand, it is nice to see that education is a valuable part of the help people are able to receive. On the other, I wonder if the stresses and anxieties of all the ancillary requirements to get help might scare some away from seeking help?

In Washington County, the poorest county in Maine, there are some groups that are doing wonderful work to help break the cycle of poverty and those in need. The Community Caring Collaborative  is a successful example of one of these support groups. They offer so many valuable resources and connections for the homeless and those that live in poverty (generational or circumstantial). In effect, the organization serves as a navigator for homeless. People come in and share their situation and the CCC helps to connect the individual with the many agencies that may be able to help. Many times there is no one perfect solution, but the team at CCC always manages to get people into at least a temporary safe situation and connect them to resources that can help start the path out of their situations. I am thrilled that Adult Education is considered a strong component for many seeking assistance in this area. 

Obviously, academic focus may not be super strong when you are wondering where you are spending the night knowing that a massive snow storm is coming in. With many homeless students that come in, the focus is often on the soft skills which may include positive communication, organization, time management, goal setting and tracking, career exploration (if not already done by referring career centers), and social norms or expectations. As success is found in these areas, it is easier to build upon that foundation of successes into the academic needs of each individual. Some are able to stay with our programs a good amount of time and they share how much of a factor Adult Education was for them in scrabbling their way out of some level of poverty. Others have life twist and turn so suddenly and often, we may only get them for a brief time. I remember one student I would only get to work with during the summer and even then it was sporadic in terms of frequency. Still, he kept coming in and wanting to explore options and success in learning. 

In our smaller populations, out in the woods of Maine, there are some successes but I am stunned to think about the numbers you share, David. With that large a population with needs, all within  a relatively small geographic area, my mind begins to reel with the challenges that situation presents. I wonder if you find support groups or navigators like Washington County's Community Caring Collaborative springing up to try to assist? I would love to know more about strategies and goals they might have with such a large population and what role, if any adult education plays in those goals. 

David,

A very large percentage of the youth you mention above also identify as LGBTQ. We have participated in the LAMBDA project which helped develop materials for libraries to use when working with youth who may identify as LGBTQ: http://lambda.sis.utk.edu/

Aaron

David and others here, I'm glad that you have raised the issue of homelessness. There is so much prejudice and resulting discrimination around those who can't afford even the smallest space to call their own. I'll share a story from Toronto.

Many years ago, I visited a very effective Adult Ed program right in the urban center of Toronto. I walked down wooden stairs from a nearly-hidden sidewalk door along a busy street. The place was dark. At the foot of the stairs, there was a small room leading to a couple of larger rooms with storage and instructional space. That entryway had collages spread all over the walls, posted behind glass panels. The instructor told me that students were recruited from among the many, many homeless roaming the city's busy downtown area. When students first walked in, they had a swift orientation and then were given donated little disposable cameras. They were told to go back out and spend the rest of the day or part of the day taking pictures that represented who they were. On return, instructors would have the pictures printed. Students would then create collages from the photos they had taken. The collages were posted for others to see. As I studied the images around me, that familiar knot developed in my throat. There was nothing to say; just experience.

I often remember that event when discussing ways to reach diverse learners. Do we reach them best by going where they are and taking it from there? What do others think or feel? Leecy

Count me in, David. I will also share the story in the Reading and Writing community. Aside from the content, I appreciate that the story is written at a reasonable grade level. I estimated 6th-7th and did a readability score which varied around those levels.

I know that children and adults from several diverse cultures seldom see themselves reflected in literature. That is something that we adult educators can address. I'm sure that this story will not only engage the homeless among our learners but everyone. I hope was can share more resources like this to give our diverse learners more options in reading! When we engage the motions, we engage the readers!

For those who are interested in determining the reading level of passages, I just found this site, which I recommend for its own diversity of resources: https://readability-score.com/. Select a text, click the TEXT button, paste the text, and see the results.

Let's share more of these stories. What have you used among diverse populations in your instruction or program? Leecy