CEA International Conference and Training Event

I know that the CEA International Conference and Training Event was held in Long Beach, CA, July 31 - Aug 3.  I was unable to attend but I am hoping that some of members to this community did attend.  If you did attend what did you gain from attending?  What are some important news items you can share?  What other things would you like to share?  Please post below - I am interested in how the conference when and what happened.

Comments

Hi Brooke. Thanks for asking. GED Testing Service recently participated in the Correctional Education Association (CEA) Conference held in Long Beach, California. 
Pictured here are speakers Sam Lewis, California correctional office Jeff Ervin and GED Testing Service State Relationship Manager Rafael Diaz. They spoke about the impact that correctional education has on families and students. 

Jessica,

I bet that was a great presentation.  As an instructor who has attended a few GED graduations at our local prison, I have seen the transformation that takes place within inmates.  They start coming to class because we are the only building on the campus that has air conditioning.  But over time, they start to feel more confident in their learning; for some, it is as if hope has been re-ignited in them.  

Perhaps, you can persuade some of the speakers to post here, Jessica, and give us some highlights about their talk since many in the field were unable to attend this amazing conference.

Hi. As requested, below please find portions of the speech from my colleague Rafael Diaz to CEA participants. (This is not verbatim but from his personal notes.) Thanks for the interest! -Jessica

One section:

At GED Testing Service we’re extremely serious about education. Since 1942, our mission has been to change lives via educational opportunity -- a charge that is much more than a job for our organization.

We recognize that our program is an opportunity-- sometimes the only-- to alter one’s course in a sustainable fashion. This mission-- this responsibility-- drives us!  It drives us to create more tools for students and educators. It drives us to create and fortify a road towards post-secondary and good paying jobs.  It drives us to foster closer and stronger relationships with you-- educators, principals, administrators because no one can do this alone.

With that being said, thank you. Thank you for your amazing partnership. Thank you for your continued work, your endless patience and focus on true education. 

You not only change the lives of your students but of so many more -- so many around the student. As the child of a father who has been in federal corrections for many years, I understand how hard you work, how many obstacle you encounter in fulfilling your mission. I understand that this work is not easy. Know that I am working on this side with an understanding and laser-like focus on what you need to do your job, what students need to succeed in life beyond bars and what our families and communities need to move forward and grow. 

So thank you for not retreating. Please know that, although you may not see me and my colleagues at the GED Testing Service, we are with you.  

Rest assured that when my colleagues and I talk about strengthening adult education, and co-creating policy with you all, I look to our shared experience to help chart out the right path. 

The preparation and the exam itself will provide that student, whether they’re out in the community or in the correctional setting, a real opportunity to move forward. But it grants their families hope, their children an off-ramp from terrible cycles and their communities an additional asset, but more importantly an additional engaged citizen.

Another section:

I want to go beyond the stats. I want to go beyond the 79% pass rate in corrections nationwide. I want to go beyond the 26 states that surpass that national pass rate. I want to go beyond the countless individuals who we’ve been able to put on road to real jobs and real education. I want to bring attention to folks such as our speaker today, Sam Lewis, whose session we have the pleasure of sponsoring today. We want to aid in finding more Sams but more importantly helping more Sams find themselves!

Hello,

Unfortunately I was not able to attend the CEA Conference. Have been part of this Correctional Ed group  for a few years. I live in Los Angeles County, CA. and I work as a Quality Improvement  Analyst for a public community mental health agency.  Long road from my lived experiences in secured facilities. In 1995 I earned my h.s. diploma in the Los Angeles County Jail system. Fortunately, the Adult School teacher had my transcripts faxed to the jail so I could get started on my packet work. The other inmate and I desired to earn our h.s. diplomas rather than the GED. Two decades later, I still encounter inmates, formerly incarcerated individuals, who desire to earn the h.s. diploma. Few years back I had the privilege to speak at a jail graduation and see two men earn their h.s. diploma. The first graduation in 2 years since the sheriff's department restructured correctional education programming. I've heard many stories and have witness many a man or woman living in secured facilities embrace access to correctional education opportunities, I have seen men with their heads down deep in study in hot classrooms here in California, or in noisy dayrooms, stimulating their minds to complete a dream they failed to complete for many reasons.  Of course a GED is a great opportunity for an individual to earn, and I get the value. However, nothing compares to earning your high school diploma. 

Regards, 

L. S. Garcia, MSW 

The most powerful statement in this entire speech is "So thank you for not retreating. Please know that, although you may not see me and my colleagues at the GED Testing Service, we are with you." To many correctional educators (and educators in the public sector as well) they feel as though they are teaching in silos. Sometimes knowing that others are sharing your struggles and success stories is critical to not feeling isolated and alone.