Comcast and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Collaborate to Close the Digital Divide

In case you missed it, last month Comcast published this news release about their Internet Essentials program. This opportunity enables adults and young learners to "get connected from the comfort of their own homes and take advantage of resources to get a GED credential, apply for and complete college, and acquire the necessary digital literacy skills to thrive in a highly competitive, global workforce." 

Comments

Hello Jessica,

This expansion and collaboration of the Comcast Internet Essentials program and HUD ConnectHome program is great news. I am curious about the GED services, however. Is this an offer to qualifying participants of a free online GED prep program and, if so, which one(s)? Is it available to people in states that do not offer the GED test such as New York? If so, will it be recognized in those states, and if so, by what state agency, or will it be recognized by a federal agency?

I would also like to know more about what free online resources will be provided to adult learners who want to apply for and complete college, and acquire digital literacy skills.

Thanks,

David J. Rosen, Moderator

Technology and Learning CoP

djrosen123@gmail.com

Thanks for the message David. Your enthusiasm is appreciated! We're excited about the news as well. What a great program to help bridge the digital divide! GED Testing Service is working closely with Comcast to find ways to connect more adults who could be brought into the adult ed pipeline. We're also working with adult educators across the country to help spread the word about this program. We are focused on helping more adults have access to computers, and low-cost internet service, to help them find resources like local ABE programs to get started on their adult education/GED journey. With the importance of digital literacy and the number of adults without a H.S. diploma, I think this is program we can all get fully behind!