Improving Your Process for Making Decisions about Using Technology

Colleagues,

Program managers and teachers make decisions about technology all the time. They decide:

1)  What are good ways to learn what my program's, students' and teachers' instruction and learning, and program management needs are that might best be met through the use of technology?

2)  How do I keep up with technology, learn about new hardware, software, apps, and good practices for integrating technology in my program or class?

3)  Once I have defined a program need, e.g. assessing students' technology skills; using a blended (integrated face-to-face and online) learning model; personalizing or individualizing learning content, pace and mode of learning for each student; using a flipped learning model; Integrating high quality Open Education Resources in face-to-face and online learning; implementing teacher professional development plans; using digital badges; using technology to enhance formative assessment; using technology to help students build high-quality online portfolios for prospective employers and college admissions officers, etc., how do I find the best software and hardware to meet that/those need(s)?

4) What is the best way to try out new technology? How long should I try it out? What should I be looking for? What criteria should I use to evaluate it?

5) Once I have the new technology, what are some good ways to provide or get training and practice to use it well?

6) How can I evaluate the effectiveness of the technology solution I/we decided on and implemented?

I would like to begin a discussion in the Technology and Learning and Program Management Communities so we can learn how we/others make decisions about technology, with the goal of helping all of us improve our decision-making. I hope many CoP members will actively participate.

Let's begin this discussion with the first question:

1)  What are good ways to learn what my program's, students' or teachers' instruction and learning, and program management needs are that might best be met through the use of technology?

David J. Rosen

Moderator, Technology and Learning, and Program Management CoPs

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

I have had the pleasure of working with multiple dozens of IT people from different programs and they are all people trying to help others use technology as a productive and safe tool. There is a wide range of how approachable or accessible these same decision makers are within their programs. There are a number of contributing factors that increase or decrease staff perception of how open the door is in terms of approaching IT to offer suggestions, feedback, or questions. In those programs where the door is open and the staff fully trusts that open door, the communication of staff needs is effective and efficient. In stark contrast, those IT people that are perceived as unapproachable or perceived as not really listening have almost no idea of what the staff needs and often struggles when implementing any new technology ideas. 

If we want to learn what our staff technological needs, we need to establish positive communication channels that everyone can trust. Some programs have this working well already, others have many challenges in the way to get to open and positive dialogs. 

Thanks Ed.

Your reply reminds me of two important additions: 1) Some of a program's needs may be technology needs, such as how to maintain and upgrade computers or electronic tablets, or get wireless access in the classrooms,  in addition to other student, teacher and program management needs; 2) Some programs have technology coordinators (who are sometimes teachers, sometime part of program management, sometimes both) and they also need to know what teachers and students need.

Your thoughts about how technology coordinators ("IT people") can learn about staff technology needs -- that "positive communication channels that everyone can trust" are needed == also applies to program managers who want to know about a range of what teachers, other staff, and students need for teaching and learning. It's hard to find out what people need when there isn't trust and good communication at a program.

Everyone: we will eventually focus on technology, but in this first question I am asking how a program manager, technology coordinator, or teacher can assess the program's, students' or teachers' instruction and learning, and program management needs. The idea is that decisions about what technology to use and how to use it should be driven by teaching and learning needs, and good instructional management needs, and that the first step is to understand those needs.  So, let's stay with that question first before we get to the tech questions.

Program Managers, technology coordinators, and teachers: how do you determine teaching and learning needs at your program?

David J. Rosen, Moderator

Technology and Learning, and Program Management CoPs

djrosen123@gmail.com

I am a Training Coordinator for a TANF training-to-work program. My process begins by looking at the job market - first I identify the employment opportunities my program has the resources to train for, I ask those working locally what training would make my participants competitive in their company. Then, I integrate the basics into the training structure.

An example: to work in a legal office requires comfort with computers, legal databases, using multiple screen references, Microsoft Office, business writing and editing. If a participant comes in without a high school diploma and wants to work as a legal administrative assistant or entry level paralegal - it begins with the HS diploma equivalency.

I chose computer based learning programs over books so that participants also become comfortable typing and seeing information on a computer while learning the material for the test. At the same time, they learn Office Word as part of their typing work. I do use the GO Book program, but they have to learn how to access an external website, find a file and download pictures and documents into the documents they are creating or editing. While learning Math, participants use 3 programs - the HS study site, Khan Academy and ACT Keytrain. I am also a resource for one-on-one teaching, but my first question back to a participant when they ask for help is- "where have you looked for help".

By the time they have the diploma and officially enter the career training - they usually have gone from fear of a computer to some proficiency in typing, comfort with using multiple screens and resources and have basic office skills in Word document creation and editing.

The basics of how to assess technology for us begins at the decision stage of what job opportunities to offer for sustainable employment. Next, talking directly to those employed in that career pathway to ask what is needed to be a successful candidate, and third integrating technology at all stages of training so that participants are continually learning and improving their skills.

Thanks Michelle. You describe some important student needs in these four categories:

1) Employment/job Opportunities for sustainable employment that your program has resources to provide training for, for example legal administrative assistant or entry level paralegal

2) Comfort and competence in working with computers in an office setting, including keyboard skills, databases, using multiple screens and resources, MS Office (e.g. word processing and editing documents), business writing and editing, math, how to be resourceful/find help

3) High school diploma or equivalency certificate

4) Career training in one of the areas your program can offer

You mention that you ask people in companies (presumably companies that eventually might employ your graduates) what would make your students competitive. I wonder if there are other things you ask them to get at what employers see as their hiring needs for students /clients you are preparing for jobs, and how you get that information -- formally in meetings, for example, or informally, or in other ways? For example, do you you ask them about soft skills/work readiness skills that they are looking for?  I also wonder if there are other sources of employment needs that you use, such as: local labor market information; information from local industry associations; talking with graduates of your program about what has helped them prepare for their job and what else they would have liked to have learned; data that your program might gather on graduates' employment status; or data from your Regional Workforce Development Board.

Thanks for describing both how you train students/clients for work in a technology-rich work environment and how they use technology for instruction/learning while in your program.

Let's also hear from other program managers, technology coordinators and teachers. How do you determine teaching and learning needs at your program?

David J. Rosen

Moderator, Technology and Learning, Program Management CoPs

djrosen123@gmail.com

I start with market needs research in my state - there are a variety of resources available including data directly from the our workforce development agency, state labor needs projections and conversations with major employers-   and then look for past colleagues or connections within my local network to talk to. Usually, there is someone already in my network who I can meet for coffee or talk to over email or facebook to ask. I start with open ended questions and then key in on skills and competencies - soft skills are definitely a part of the conversation! In our Training Center, the Workbook we provide has been redesigned to include those soft skills employer research from federal and industry sources have listed as most important, - professionalism, teamwork, self-discipline, diversity awareness, and a customer service centered approach. We use monthly incentives tied to attendance to develop a habit of dependability and include modules on developing SMART goals, financial planning, stress management and self-care to round out our soft-skills programming. The concept we talk to our participants about is that our program will provide the skills to begin a career and to stay employed afterwards.

~Chelle

Hi, Chelle -

Thanks for sharing with us what has worked for your program, and learners. Would you tell us the name of the workbook you are using to teach these soft skills?  I'm also interested in hearing more about your monthly incentives program for attendance.  What does that look like in terms of how you identify the incentives that work for your population?  

Thanks,

Mike Cruse

Career Pathways Moderator