Word Puzzles

Examine the words to solve the puzzle, think of a single word that goes with each to form a compound word (or word pair that functions as a compound word). For example, if the given words are volley, field, and bearing, then the answer would be ball, because the word ball can be added to each of the other words to form volleyball, ballfield, and ball bearing.

1. back, short, watch   (short)
2. made, cuff, left   (hand)
3. drop, off, stand (kick)

If you solve the puzzle (s), add one of your own to give us more to think about.

I'll add three new types of word puzzles here tomorrow.

Do you think your students will enjoy these? How can solving puzzles assist your students?

In a week, I'll post the site where you can find many more! Leecy

Comments

OK, so I mistakenly provided the answers in the above puzzles, so here are three more.

1. big, soil, table

2. motion, poke, down

3. wood, liquor, luck

That's better! OK, so if you solve the puzzle (s), add one of your own to give us more to think about.

I'll add three new types of word puzzles here tomorrow.

Do you think your students will enjoy these? How can solving puzzles assist your students?

In a week, I'll post the site where you can find many more! Leecy

Examine the word fragments. Think of an English word that contains the fragment -- that is, you must form a word by adding letters to the beginning and/or the end of the fragment. You may not add letters to the middle of the fragment, nor may you rearrange the letters given. Several solutions are possible in many cases. Just come up with one and then add one of your own for us to solve.

1. llel

2. osoe

3. iloli

4. atula

5. thom

When you give these to students, what is their reaction? Leecy