Hallmark of Democracy: Peaceful Transition of Power

Hello friends,  In recent days, I've shared here in our community how I taught learners in my beginning ESL class about the electoral college. I wanted them to understand our election system and how it is the electoral college --270 electoral votes being the magic number-- that determines the outcome of a presidential election, not the popular vote. Little did I know that this year's election would provide such a powerful object lesson with Clinton winning the popular vote but Trump becoming the next president.

On Wednesday, we completed the chart we had created, filling in which states were blue and which were red. Today in class, we listened to Clinton's concession speech. Of course, the language was far above the level of the students in my beginning level class; however, I wanted them to understand the big idea about our democracy, and that is the peaceful transition of power.

We focused on these words from Clinton's speech:

"Our campaign was never about one person, or even one election. It was about the country we love and building an America that is hopeful, inclusive, and big-hearted. We have seen that our nation is more deeply divided than we thought. But I still believe in America, and I always will. And if you do, then we must accept this result and then look to the future. Donald Trump is going to be our president. We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead. Our constitutional democracy enshrines the peaceful transfer of power.

We don't just respect that. We cherish it. It also enshrines the rule of law; the principle we are all equal in rights and dignity; freedom of worship and expression. We respect and cherish these values, too, and we must defend them."

Students listened intently, and we talked about the words and phrases: divided, open mind, peaceful transfer of power, cherish, respect, equal. Regardless of how individuals, including myself, wanted the election to come out, this was a powerful civics lesson about how democracy works.

Comments welcome!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

Comments

Hello friends, I have to be forthcoming and tell you that the students I am working with are worried and scared about the results of this election. They asked me with deep concern in their voices, "What happens now, teacher?" We happen to be studying vocabulary for feelings, so they were able to express how they felt in English. I had to tell them that I, too, am concerned. None of us knows how the new president will or will not follow through on some of the things he has said.

I'm sure many members on this list and the immigrants and refugees you work with share these feelings. It is an uncertain time, and we need one another more than ever. I don't believe we can pretend that this outcome has no relevance to our work. How are programs moving forward in constructive ways?

In thoughtfulness and peace, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

Thanks Susan. Safety for all in America is very important, and there are simple things we can do to help immigrant students, and other immigrants, feel safe. Here's a great idea from the U.K. described in a Huffington Post US article The Incredible Reason You Might Start Seeing Safety Pins Everywhere

"In the wake of Donald Trump’s election, many groups in the U.S., including African Americans, Muslims and women, are feeling scared and uneasy. ... Read the full story "

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Thank you, David. Wearing a safety pin is a small gesture with a big message. In fact, my husband went out just this morning to buy safety pins to distribute. I'm wearing one today, and I will continue to do so. 

Discussion on this important topic is welcome.

In peace, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

It is so important for our adult learners that we are "sense-makers" who assist them in seeing the systems in place in their new country, as Susan did in her lesson on the Electoral College, and who also then "create fertile spaces" -- my term for our overarching role -- to express their thoughts and, even more importantly, their feelings as you did in the lesson on vocabulary relating to adjectives describing emotions.  I remember teaching ESL to Iranians during the Iran crisis many years back and at the time, I tried to avoid such topics as the issues of the day.  I have since learned it is far better to create these safe places and also fertile areas for thought and feeling in which friendships grow and language is more meaningfully acquired.  I am touched by this discussion thread.

Helaine W. Marshall, LIU (Long Island U) and MALP, LLC

Teaching tolerance has a lot of great materials, geared towards K-12 but also useful for Adults, about teaching the election.  Here's one recent blog post, but there are also lots of other resources on their site.

http://www.tolerance.org/blog/what-say-kids-november-10-and-days-after

Cat Howell, Literacy Source

Thanks for posting the link to the Teaching Tolerance website, Cat. This a tremendous resource, which I have drawn upon often. We would welcome your pointing us to specific materials you have used from this site. For example, could you link us to specific resources for dealing with bullying and disrespect?

One thing I know is that we need to restore common decency and respect in our country. Learners in our classes and their families may become --or may already have been-- the target of disrespect and even hate and violence. Some awful things are happening in various places across the country -- perhaps in areas where our members live.  I believe we need to be prepared to discuss this in the classroom. How are programs thinking about this? What steps are you taking?

I'm so glad that we have a venue for these important conversations.

Moderator, AELL CoP

Hello Helaine and all, I want to concur with Helaine's comment that bringing issues of relevance to class is really important. With topics related to politics, of course, it can get quite complicated, so it requires special sensitivity. I like how you call us "sense-makers," Helaine. I hadn't thought about it that way, but I definitely agree. I firmly believe that creating safe spaces in the classroom where adults can talk about what they are thinking and feeling is one of the most important aspects of teaching adult ESL.

I have about 8 new students this week, who were not in class when we were focusing on the election. We are moving on from this topic now, but I will stay open as issues arise that may be relevant to the students in my class. I want everyone to know that our classroom does provide a safe space.

I know many others have stories to share. Please do.

In peace, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

Hello colleagues, Many of us are still thinking about the the election and the potential implications for our work with immigrants and refugees. I wanted to share some additional resources that may be useful. Check out the Colorin Colorado "after the election" page. This page offers a number of teaching ideas, guidance for addressing students' concerns, and resources for teachers. While these materials are oriented to teachers and families in K12, many would be quite relevant for our work with adults, too.

You are still welcome to discuss how you have been addressing issues that have arisen about the election. Also, let us know if you want to use any of the materials recommended on the Colorin Colorado site.

Moderator AELL CoP

I was a little surprised on the day after the election to arrive at school and find that all the students were in their seats.  I was proud of them for not giving in to fear.  Our agency had prepared a statement stating that we will support our students, and I went over it with them to make sure that everyone understood it.  I also made it clear to them that, despite what President-elect Trump may have stated as his vision for this country, we live in a democracy and the Legislative Branch imposes checks and balances on the Executive Branch.  And now... those of us with the privilege of US Citizenship need to get busy with the Legislative Branch and steer conversations about immigrants and refugees.  I look forward to sharing that process with my students going forward.  

Hi Kate and all, Thanks for telling us about your class and the students' reaction to the election. Discussing checks and balance is surely an important aspects of civics to focus on at this juncture. It would be great to hear how you are presenting that concept to the students.

Moderator, AELL CoP