Writing for Self

Are you someone who benefits from dialoguing with yourself in writing? Do you find yourself solving serious challenges just writing down your thoughts and asking yourself questions? Do you read over what you wrote? Does it help? Do you ever notice your perceptions changing as you write?

As someone raised in another country, writing helped me feel connected to myself as I faced cultural issues of isolation. Now, I use it to get my own advice on issues that come up. How about you?

We have so many instructional bundles packaged nicely for us on how to teach adults how to write better to prepare for work (resumes, employer letters, memos, applications) or for college (essays, essays, essays). How about writing for self, just for self?

If you are someone who writes simply for the pleasure of self discovery and reflection, share your experience here. If you encourage learners to do the same, share your practices with us. Thanks in advance! Leecy

Comments

Several years ago I interviewed some adult learners about writing and was surprised at how many of them kept journals. They wrote in their journals to help them organize and clarify their thoughts and  to keep a record of events and thoughts in their lives.  Some used their journals to write original poetry. Since then I wonder if ABE and ESOL teachers ask their students what kind of writing they do in their lives. I think it would add an interesting dimension to writing instruction.

Di, that information would provide us with fantastic direction in terms of individualizing writing instruction, don't you think? Maybe the term "journal" would be threatening to some. Maybe stories? Talking to the paper, notebook, or computer as a close friend? We could have them illustrate the cover of their writing notes to represent a good friend.

We humans have a rich oral tradition; we just don't often think of talking through our fingers. Now that just made me think of sign language. Wow, wouldn't that be a fun way to teach writing - interpret sign language? Hmmm... Leecy