Ballad for Americans

Colleagues,

Radio Diaries, one of the websites I have listed in the ESOLWebsites section of the Literacy List, has a timely introduction to one of America's once most popular songs, Ballad for Americans, a song that may be of interest to you and your students, especially now. The original version is sung by the accomplished singer, stage and film actor, multi-lettered college athlete, and courageous African American leader, Paul Robeson. Also included on the Radio Diaries website are audio file versions sung by Odetta and Bing Crosby.

Here's the introduction to the song on the website:

This election season, our country seems more politically divided than ever. The race has been so ugly that it’s hard to even imagine a time when Republicans and Democrats could agree on anything at all.

In this podcast episode, we’re going back more than 75 years, to another hard-fought election. In 1940, FDR squared off against Wendell Willkie. And during the campaign, the Republican, Democrat, and even the Communist parties all managed to agree on one thing:

A song.

It was an unlikely hit: an operatic folk cantata, sung by a black man, that ran over 10 minutes. “Ballad for Americans,” with music by Earl Robinson and lyrics by John LaTouche, had its radio debut on November 5, 1939. The live studio audience applauded for 20 minutes straight....

Here's the Radio Diaries web page on Ballad for Americans: http://www.radiodiaries.org/ballad-for-americans/ and here's the link to Paul Robeson singing Ballad for Americans http://www.radiodiaries.org/wp-content/uploads/Ballad-for-Americans-Robeson.mp3 It's sung in the context of the original musical, Ballad for Americans, and the story in the song builds, so plan to listen to the full ten minutes.

I will be interested to hear what you think, and if you plan to introduce this to your English language or other  learners and if so, in what context? EL Civics? American history? An understanding of American values? Tumultuous American elections? Or something else?

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

Thanks for sharing this, David. I think that the following part of that cantata might make for great reflection, discussion, and writing among our learners during this time.

...Say, will you please tell us who you are?....   Well, I'm an
Engineer, musician, street cleaner, carpenter, teacher,
How about a farmer? Also. Office clerk? Yes sir!
That's right. Certainly!
Factory worker? You said it. Yes ma'am.
Absotively! Posolutely!
Truck driver? Definitely!
Miner, seamstress, ditchdigger, all of them.
I am the "etceteras" and the "and so forths" that do the work.
Now hold on here, what are you trying to give us?
Are you an American?
Am I an American?
I'm just an Irish, Jewish, Italian,
French and English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Polish,
Scotch, Hungarian, Swedish, Finnish, Greek and Turk and Czech   And that ain't all.
I was baptized Baptist, Methodist, Congregationalist, Luthern,
Atheist, Roman Catholic, Jewish, Presbyterian, Seventh Day Adventist,
Mormon, Quaker, Christian Scientist and lots more.
You sure are something. Our country's strong, our country's young,
And her greatest songs are still unsung.
From her plains and mountains we have sprung,
To keep the faith with those who went before. Leecy