BEST assessment and Lexile level

Is anyone aware of a table for determining a person's Lexile level based on a BEST Literacy score?

Comments

Thanks for the question, Patte. I don't have the answer, and I'm not even sure if it would be possible to figure out. That being said, there may be members who have some thoughts on this.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, AELL CoP

We don't use the BEST right now, but I have tried some conversions of standardized scores to Lexiles.  I ended up finding that it was more fruitful to teach my teachers and tutors the five finger rule: If you/your learners are struggling with more than five words on a page or, of course, if you/your learners are struggling too mightily to comprehend then this is not a good practice level text for you.  Then I give them a rough starting point and free them to navigate the levels themselves adjusting up or down as necessary. 

You can get a rough idea by using the NRS level tables and comparing BEST to CASAS, then CASAS to TABE to get a grade level and then from grade level to the Lexile using the grade level text level conversion resource that is available on the Lexile site.  Needless to say, this is an extremely rough estimate.