Writing to Explain Mathematical Reasoning: Is this an Effective Strategy?

Hello colleagues, A number of the CCR Math Practices and standards require learners to explain their mathematical reasoning. Teachers often expect students to explain their reasoning verbally and/or in writing. In a recent online article, "Should We Do More Writing in Math Class?" teacher Michelle Russell blogs about asking students to write to explain their mathematical thinking. Russell acknowledges that she was uncertain that having learners write about their reasoning was effective, so she decided to ask students to write about whether they found writing about math to be helpful. The students' responses are very interesting.

What has been your experience with asking learners to explain their mathematical reasoning? Have you found that asking students to write is helpful? What about having them explain verbally?

Thanks for sharing your reactions to Russell's blog and for telling us about your experiences and offering your insights!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, College and Career Standards CoP

Comments

Thanks for bringing up this topic, Susan!  I think there are many teachers who need convincing in order to spend class time on something that feels like a luxury considering the time we have with our students in adult education.  That line of thinking may miss the point of engaging students with all aspects of rigor for a deeper understanding and transferable knowledge. 

I think of writing in math class not as a separate journal activity, but as something that helps us get our point across or documents something.  The writing I ask of my students in math class is connected to the content in that it applies their content knowledge to do something real(ish) with that understanding.  For example, ask students to write:

·         a quote for a construction or home improvement job (incorporate the math of area and perimeter, percent, etc.)

·         a letter to a boss explaining options and recommending and defending a choice (where to hold a banquet, which materials supplier to choose, etc.)

·         a presentation to their peers about their research and choice for transportation, housing, child care, or a dream vacation.  Insist on a visual representation to explain their reasoning.