INTRODUCING PROJECT GUTENBERG ONLINE RESOURCES

Project Gutenberg provides free online resources that include thousands of famous classics many of which are also available via audiobook.

You can use Readers for beginning adults and Classics for more Advanced students.

Poetry, cookbooks, travel etc., etc. are all available.

It is quite a project, and very enjoyable to look through.

I will be using it for more Advanced students who want to read the classics like The Last Of the Mohicans.

Actually, literature should be an important part of lessons at every level, a method that is often called Literature Based. Do you use literature in your classes? If not you can get started with Project Gutenberg today!!!!!!!

Go to:  https://www.gutenberg.org/

Comments

Good advice from Paul re project Gutenberg-- just know that because it is largely volunteer-read, many of the readers are not that great. As one who listens to at least two books a week on audio books, I can say that a poor reader DESTROYS the experience..... I suggest previewing the materials before having students listen to them. I get all my audio books on my state online library for free...they have limited check out times-- but can be renewed easily.     And those audio books are read by actors and professional readers-- mesmerizing....!!!  

Robin  Lovrien    

Robin, you are right. But at the same time there are 1000s of texts for the students to read, without audio. In addition I am not sure that amateurs cannot do a decent job anyway. 

The idea is to provide meaningful, interesting - and free -material that will help students learn and will also be ejoyable. I make my own audio texts, and Pumarosa.com also has voice. Plus Songs with lyrics are a very good addition to the mix.

The Gutenberg library is an amazing resource but it can be overwhelming for students who are not familiar with technology. I found this resource that you might find helpful as a way to integrate combine technology instruction and literacy instruction. http://ebookfriendly.com/project-gutenberg-tips-tricks/

Kathy