Family Literacy

I notice that this Reading and Writing group now includes Family Literacy among its list of topics. One of the programs where I teach is considering adding this aspect to our instruction, and I wonder if anyone could help us get started.

How is family literacy different from regular literacy instruction? Do programs get the whole family involved, or do they just use materials that discuss family issues and reading ability?

Your help is appreciated. Thanks. Christi

Comments

Hi Christi,

“True” family literacy programs provide services to parents and their children with four components: adult literacy, child literacy, parenting, and PACT time (parent and child together). Often programs will partner with other agencies to provide some of the services, for instance Head Start to provide child literacy. But there are variations of that model for programs who can’t provide all four components. So a program might provide adult literacy, parenting, and some PACT time.  A good starting place is the National Center for Families Learning at http://www.familieslearning.org/ Another resources is a publication from the Ohio Literacy Resource Center called the Family Literacy Resource Notebook at http://literacy.kent.edu/Oasis/famlitnotebook/ You can also see what information you can find on Even Start programs. Keep the questions coming. I know there are others in this community who can give suggestions and advice.

Christi, your question leads me to the African quote, "It takes a village to raise a child." So many of our adults practically "raised themselves," without the benefit of supportive communities or families, many of which were dysfunctional. Family Literacy, as Di described, offers these adults opportunities to raise their children differently. Family literacy provides "the village" that has the potential of raising healthy children among adults that didn't have that support. I hope others will drop in to add to the resources already shared. Thanks. Leecy