Week 4: Chapters 8 - 9, Question #5 Which of the suggestions for teaching math for a growth mindset appeal to you?

Which of the suggestions for teaching math for a growth mindset appeal to you? What is interesting to you about that suggestion?

Challenge: Use the suggestions in this chapter to revise an activity that you already use to incorporate a growth mindset. Share that activity in the discussion forum along with a short description of how growth mindset is incorporated.

Comments

Growth mindset appeals to me for many reasons.  I teach this every day in my classroom.  I am always looking for my students to look outside the box and also find other ways other than procedural ways of attacking a problem.  I want my students to think of ways on their own to solve real life situations that they will encounter in their daily lives.  

One of the lesson that I use with my students is setting up a budget for today.   I want the students to figure out a budget today on their income right now.  Then I want them to understand where every dollar is going each month.  We have discussions on where they could save money and where they could spend more or actually have a saving account.  They need to show every dollar, that way they understand where all their money is going each month.  

I then give a scenario after they receive their Hiset and they have a job making $12-$15 an hour with their "significant other" also working making the same.  I give a few local places that hire for that amount and also a few places that they can get a certificate in something and make that amount.  I want them to figure out a budget with these dollars involved.  I want them to dream a little about what if.  Could I actually own a car?  Could I actually have a savings?  I want them to look outside the box of where they are now and where they could be if they have everything come together for them.  

The last scenario is after they go to college for either a two or four year degree and are making $20 an hour.  I want them to think about how their lives could change for the better with this happening to them.  I want them to expand their thought process and think about the possibilities of this happening.  I want them to look outside the box and see what can change for them.   I want them to dream about a newer car, buying a house, buying a toy (four-wheeler, snowmobile, boat etc..).   I want them to put this in writing, for example, what car, the model, the color etc.  The house what style, how many bedrooms, baths, colors, flooring all the specifics.

Comparing different earning scenarios can be such a powerful exercise, especially as it is compared to actual budget amounts!  For phase 2 of your project, something that may be helpful is to talk to the local community college and find out 2 or 3 of the programs that prepare learners for high-demand occupations.  Specifically, which are the ones that offer the highest wage with the least amount of school.  I remember that one was the Central Services Technician (a medical occupation) in Minneapolis.  Depending on your group, you could do this research together or you could do the research to share with your students.  Of course not everyone will want one of those jobs, but from a practical perspective, it's good information to know!