Assessment for AE Online Course Plans, State of Hawaii, April-June, 2017

Greetings!

From April 24 through June 5, practitioners from the state of Hawaii are participating in a LINCS online course that explores fundamental ideas of assessment for adult literacy learners. Here course participants will share their plans for applying what they have learned in the course with their learners.

We encourage you to explore the ideas and plans posted here and reply with comments, questions, experiences and ideas for supporting effective assessment in adult education.

Comments

Activity Description

This activity will help students perform better on assessments.  Different strategies will be shared with them in this activity with the use of a unit test.

1.  Students will be told the night before that they will be taking a unit test.  I will then explain the purpose and that it is just to see how they are doing and not something to worry about.
  2. When students come to class, they will see on the board that the test will be after the break. I will again reiterate the purpose.
  3. The first part of the class will be reviewing each part of the unit. 
  4. This will involve giving answers aloud and writing on the board,  Different types of questions will be used so that they are familiar with them when they actually take the test.
  5. They will be given a little longer break; around 20 minutes instead of 10.  They can either spend the whole break in the class preparing or go out and unwind.

After the break, the test will be passed out.  I will explain each section to them, the instructions,   different types of questions, and how to answer them

Karen, it's wonderful that you're helping your students to navigate the "hidden curriculum" of test-taking, surely working to decrease test anxiety in the process.

I do have one suggestion: Might you consider, rather than your explaining each section of the test from the start, giving students the opportunity to figure out the instructions themselves? Then, checking for understanding to ensure that they got it right would be important. However, by providing the chance for making meaning of the instructions on their own, you would be helping them to build that skill - part of "productive struggle." 

-Nicole

I will implement the use of a daily journal this upcoming semester.  I think this  will be a simpler way for me to assess the studentsʻ progress. At the same time, I will use their journal entries to develop their oral skills by having them give a weekly recap to the class.  They have always been given written exercises but the topics/formats would vary.  By creating a journal and using their writings for oral presentations might reduce any anxieties they used to have because format will be consistent. This will also make it clearer and simpler for progress to be monitored by comparing writings by quarter. I have substituted in higher level classes where the students were required to keep a journal and found that class review often was followed by lively discussions.

One important aspect of learning a language is phonemic awareness.  For US English truespel phonetics learning them easy because truespel uses regular letters based on phonics to spell the sounds.  All one needs to learn is how to spell and say the 40 phonemes (sounds) of US English.  For internet instruction, US English as been translated into phonetics with free tutorials and a free converter at http://truespel.com .

Testing of phonemic awareness aptitude can be done by training on truespel for an hour and then having the student spell phonetically a list of 10 spoken nonsense words that have the total set of phonemes in them (This should be a standard tape recording).  The errors show any phonemes that need work.  

I totally agree with you Philip.  Daily journals help you to see how the students are progressing and greatly help their oral skills.  In my classes I also find that the journals help students formulate their thoughts into words and become better at it the more they practice.  Many students aspire to more than just passing a class; many want to go on to higher education or want to hone their ability to write a book or need to do it for work.  The more they practice organizing their thoughts into words and putting it down on paper the better they become at whatever they do.

I  agree that having the students write daily journals can help to keep track of the students' progress in their writing, as well as working towards their goals. It would also be a great way to see how they are progressing in their vocabulary and general understanding of the materials in the course. 

The plan for my activity is to help students to understand and how to take standardized tests.  The following are the key steps for students to be able to do their best in taking standardized tests:

1.  A positive attitude can boost confidence and improve performance.

2.  Clear the brain for learning and testing.  They need to find time to concentrate to improve their lives and those of their family members.

3.  Becoming familiar with the format of the test:  What sorts of questions are asked, how is information conveyed, and how are answers logged in?

4.  Become familiar with test-taking techniques: Listen carefully to directions.  Scan the test before starting to answer questions.  Understand a question before answering it.  Review the choices.  Review your work.  Stay as calm as you can.

It is definitely important for the students to have a positive attitude when taking an assessment. They often get so worried that their anxieties affect their performance.

Your plan to prepare students for taking standardized test is great.  We want students to be successful and part of that is helping them to prepare for the test by being familiar with the test, learning test strategies, and building self-confidence.  When I was teaching, we were preparing our students for the standardized state test.  To help build positive thoughts and self-confidence we created a positive affirmations board.  The board was filled with post-it notes that had positive affirmations written on them.  As students got themselves settled for the test, they had the option of taking a positive affirmation post-it note (created by their classmates and other students and teachers in the school) to keep at their desk as a reminder to try their best, give it their all, and to not give up.  The students loved having this and many kept their notes well past the testing period.

The activity I chose and its description and purpose.
Student Self-Assessment for Goals in Reading, Writing and Speaking

Description
At the beginning of the course:
    •    Review the value of goal-setting with students.
    •    Students fill out self-assessment worksheets (adapted from Assessment Toolkit-Goals Self-Assessment-Reading, Math, Writing).
    •    Help students see how general goals (improve reading for example) are made up of mini-goals and the time involved with reaching goals by reviewing worksheets goals.
At intervals during course and at the end of course:
    •    Have students take out their first self-assessment worksheet and relect on their goals and progress.

Goal

The purpose of activity:
    •    Students select their goals in each skill
    •    Students self-assess their current skill level and prioritize which goals are  most important for them
    •    Students can review their past self-assessments and see their progress and which skills need more practice.
    •    Give students direction and self-esteem.
    •    Give students opportunities to reflect on what they have learned and how much they have learned.
    •    Informs my teaching and lesson planning.
    •    Informs me which students may need additional help.

Class Desciption

• ELA 2 Intermediate Low ESL

Resources

• Worksheets

Evaluation

• I hope to be able to gauge the impact of the activity on the students by their focus on their mini-goals during the course and observing their ability to look back at their first self-assessment worksheet and compare it to their current self assessment and have them be able to reflect on and recognize their progress, and what helped them and what hindered their learning.

At the start of the semester in an ELA1 class of learners at a variety of levels, I would be looking to get an overall assessment of the class’ level of comprehension by seeing how they respond a goals worksheet.     To do this, I would use a goals worksheet that is easy to understand, easy to use and one that will be able to reflect future improvement.

By using the goals worksheet, I would see how much they comprehend by reading instructions and expressing themselves.  The goals worksheet will also encourage them to take a deeper connected interest in their own progress and learning. 

Over the course of the semester, I would have them re-visit their goals and to self assess their progress and we can discuss to gauge improvement and create new goals moving forward.  Another way to appreciate their progress and improved performance would be in day to day communication as well. 

I feel that this activity would be a useful starting point and something that can be expounded upon throughout the semester.  

Communication Activity Description

Activity Description: 

At the beginning of the Communication class, I will create an easy-to-read goal worksheet for my students, with very specific language, so that they can adequately describe their goals. They will fill it out, and I will tailor some of my lessons to help students to reach their goals. At the end of the course, I will pass back out the worksheet for students to assess their own progress.

Activity Purpose: 

I am hoping to allow my Communication students to create their own goals in the course. Many of the Communication students have an idea of what they expect/want to learn in class, but they can’t communicate it. This way, they won’t be disappointed in what they learn, because we will be on the same page from day 1.

Class Description: 

My Communication class consists of English Language Learners from all ages and all walks of life. Many are housewives with children, some are retired, and still others are vacationing in Hawaii for a few months. The class is Intermediate/Advanced Communication so I have levels ranging from 2 to 5.

Resources Needed:

The only resource that I will need is the questionnaire to give students.

GED Class Activity Description

For my GED class this semester, I want to try to focus more on teaching test-taking skills, especially for my students who don't have an American school background. I will try to teach students to stay calm, even under pressure. Many have never been timed on their work before, so I'd like to do more timed activities to help them to get used to working with a time limit. I also want to try to talk with my younger students about clearing their minds before tests, as well as getting sleep before the test, rather than coming in late and unprepared. 

Cortney,

Thank you for sharing your plan to help your students with test-taking skills and strategies.  Interesting that you mention helping students to get used to working with a time limit.  You are probably too young for this, but I remember using SRA kits as both a student and later as a teacher.  The longer selections were untimed and included questions that assessed comprehension.  The Power Builders were timed readings that included a short set of questions to check comprehension and the Skill Builders did exactly that, i.e., they helped students to build specific skills.  The kits contained a range of reading levels and students would take a diagnostic test to determine their reading level.  Once they were placed they could proceed at their own pace to move through the different levels.  Your mention of timed activities reminded me of SRA cards.  I guess the kits have been replaced by Accelerated Reader and other computer-based programs but the process is the same -- help students to become familiar with timed tests while building reading fluency, speed, and accuracy.  I also like your idea about teaching students to clear their minds before tests and of course, it's really important to get a good night's rest and eat a good breakfast before taking a test.  I look forward to hearing more about how your plans take shape.

Activity Description 

Activity Title,  My Goal Setting Interview,  This activity will help students work through the process in goal setting.  This exercise focuses on identifying necessary skills, the barriers, the motivators, setting realistic time frames and monitoring progress to reaching a particular goal. 

Activity Purpose (What result are you looking for?)

I want students to set realistic and meaningful goals to encourage them to believe in themselves. It will also give students to be resilient when they face barriers, which I believe are the most influential experience. Students will be encouraged to share their goals and look to their peers for support. It is important for them to learn how to become an advocate, find resources, and trust that there are people in the same situation who they can rely on for support.

The course is very short , 6 weeks long, so I would provide students with realistic examples that focuses on learning basic English. For example:

• To read the newspaper in English more often.
  • Practice English at least 15 minutes a day or more.
  • To speak English to the people in the grocery store.
  • To speak to my relatives in English at family parties. 

Class Description (Level and demographics)

This activity will be implemented among students enrolled in adult education course. Students will be from ages 16 and up from all ethnicities who want to learn English.  

­Resources Needed

• Goal Setting Handout, “Think Aloud”
  • Overhead OR PowerPoint Slide w/ Phases of Goals
  • Copier; to make a copy of each student’s sheet (for later review), and return original to student for their reference

Evaluation (How will you gauge the impact of the activity on your students?)

Students’ will be asked throughout the duration of the course to refer to their handout to revisit their goals to gauge how they are doing to complete their goals. Before the end of the course students’ will complete the last page of the worksheet. Students will be asked if they have reached their goals, why or why not? How were they able to reach their goals (who helped them?) What made it difficult for them to reach their goal? Do they have new goals to add? Why? 

Communicating with Students (How will your students know whether their performance has improved?) 

Since the course is 6 weeks long students will be asked to review their goals at the middle of the course (week 3) and at the end of the course to revisit their goals. The course is short so I will explain and provide examples of short term versus long term goals. Students will be asked to set goals specific to the course, learning English, and help them continue onward in reaching their goals. 

Hi Angela,

Thanks for sharing your activity and plans. They sound great!

6 weeks is not a lot of time, so its nice that you will have Ss review their goals in mid-session. And that you will suggest to them some goal ideas.

Would love for you to post your post-course comments and thoughts in this discussion group and let me/us know how the goal setting activity went.

Aloha,

Liane Okamitsu

Activity Description

This activity is designed to help students to map out motivators and blockers to their goals.  The activity will be conducted in whole group instruction, small group discussion, and then independent reflection. 

Students will look at a student scenario and determine what factors might prevent or deter the student from accomplishing their goal.  They will also look at what factors can motivate or help the student to continue preserving through their goal. 

Once they determine these factors and discuss it in small groups, the students will map out their own factors that can prevent and motivate them to reach their goal.

Activity Purpose  (What result are you looking for?)        

To have students map out the factors that can affect achieving their goal (both positive and negative factors).  Students can use this throughout the course to keep on track.

Class Description  (Level and demographics)

GED, ABE skills, and CB program (HS equivalency programs)

Students who are 16 and older

Resources Needed

• Worksheet- Pulling Forward and Pulling Back 
    • 1- transparency to use for whole group instruction,
    • 1 for each group
    • 1 for each individual in class
  • Pictures of individuals to be used in group discussion to be the “student scenario”
  • Pencils/pen

Evaluation  (How will you gauge the impact of the activity on your students?)

• Student participation
  • Reflection sheet
  • Observe how students use worksheet throughout the course

Communicating with Students   (How will they know if their performance has improved?)

Throughout the course, I will meet with students to determine how their progress is going, having the student self-reflect on their individual worksheet.  Through these meetings, we can determine if the factors they chose are relevant, present, and if any adjustments need to be made. 

Activity Description

Before getting to learn concepts I would like to gain more insight on the student as a whole and their reasons for wanting to take the ABE class by using a Student Goal-Setting Questionnaire.

Activity Purpose  (What result are you looking for?)

The purpose of the questionnaire is to:

1. understand why the student has chosen to enroll into the ABE class
  2. get to know what are some motivations for that student
  3. identify some strengths and weaknesses they may have
  4. gain more insight on what kind of educational experiences they may have had
  5. set attainable goals

Class Description  (Level and demographics)

Adult Basic Education class is a class that serves those individuals that have not graduated obtained a high school diploma and would like to be on track to doing so.  Grade equivalences vary from class to class and can range from low elementary to high intermediate in Reading and Math.

Resources Needed

Questionnaire

TABE assessment

End of chapter/concept quizzes or tests         

Evaluation  (How will you gauge the impact of the activity on your students?)          

As a part of the questionnaire each student will have the opportunity to break down their overall goals so that they can have mini achievable goals.  We will have to revisit goals periodically (once formally midterm) to ensure we are on course otherwise adjustments will need to be made so that the student can be within reach of mini goals and their overall goal.

Students will need to be formally and informally assessed via TABE (after 40 hours of instruction) and end of chapter or concept quizzes or tests.  Depending on their assessments goals may need to be changed.  

Communicating with Students   (How will they know if their performance has improved?)

In the beginning of each week, I will have a sit down with the students individually so that we can go over what they are thinking and feeling when it comes to the concepts that we have gone over and how far or close they are to reaching their mini goals and or their overall goal.       

Hi RG:

I think it's terrific that you include student goal setting in your class.  It's a great way to empower students, as well as teaching them to be accountable for their goals.  You may also consider asking student questions such as:

• What goals have you completed? 
  • What goals have you partially or not completed? 
  • What helped you to complete your goals?
  • What obstacles prevented you from completing your goals?
  • Do you have any new goals?

Such questions require students to reflect about their actions in pursuing their goals, as well as challenges that they may be encountering.  Hopefully, such questions will facilitate solution oriented discussions with your students.   

Wishing you and your students all the best.   Dane

Thank you Dane! I am excited for the summer session that will be starting soon and will most definitely be asking those questions.  I agree that students need to be able to realize there will be challenges and that's OK.  As long as there is a kind of plan in place at least there is a kind of direction they can follow.

Activity Description        Word Meaning Vocabulary 

Activity Purpose        To assess students’ knowledge of vocabulary before teaching the unit, to assess the students' on-going retention during the lesson and finally assessing what was retained at the end of the unit.

Class Description       My students are literacy level students with varying understanding of and competency in English. The students may range from illiterate to almost level 1. They are mostly Asian from China or Vietnam. Occasionally there is a student from Europe, South America or the middle-East.

Resources Needed     The word list from the new unit

Evaluation                  I plan to use this activity as an on-going formative evaluation. Initially, as a whole class activity, I will ask students to state the meaning of the words that will be introduced in the new unit to see how much/how many words they know or can explain. Next, I will teach the words from the list, focusing on the words the students did not initially know. As the lesson progresses, I will check to see if the students can or can better define the new vocabulary words. Finally, I will see how much of the vocabulary the students have retained and can explain.

Communicating with Students         I will explain to the students that understanding and being able to explain vocabulary is essential to communication. Furthermore, as many of the students probably do not use English at home and in some cases only minimally at the work place, I will stress the need to practice the vocabulary as much as possible.

Most of the students see the need to learn English in order to get ahead/survive in this culture. They are willing to practice new vocabulary, especially if I vary the activities or contexts in which they use the vocabulary.

The students will know if they have mastered the vocabulary because they will be able to explain the vocabulary and be able to complete tasks using the vocabulary successfully.

(

Our Language Goals – Our Learning Goals

Objective: Assist adult ELA level 3 students with identifying, defining, writing, communicating, and integrating measurable language and learning goals that are directly linked to the application and mastery of Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) competencies, life, and work skills.

1. Each group of 3-5 students will be given one worksheet to complete during class.  Also, students will be given worksheets to complete at home.
  2. On whiteboard, teacher will demonstrate completing one row of the worksheet and explain what students want to be able to do using English or other acquired knowledge.
  3. Each group will discuss their goals and select themes to focus on during group session.  One student from each group will record group’s answers on worksheet.
  4. Teacher will review and discuss answers with each group.
  5. Teacher will demonstrate on whiteboard how to alter answers into goal purpose statements.
  6. For homework, each student will complete a worksheet with their answers and goal statements.
  7. For next class session, teacher will listen to, assess, collect answers, review, make copies, file, and give students with written feedback regarding student’s strengths and needs of assignment.
  8. Next class session, original worksheets will be returned to students.  
  9. Teacher will share best practice tips, suggestions for improvement, and ask for student volunteers to present their completed goals.
  10. During the last week of each month during the semester, students will be asked to retrieve their completed worksheets.  Students will be asked to respond to the following questions both orally and in writing in class:
  • What goals have you completed? 
  • What goals have you partially or not completed? 
  • What helped you to complete your goals?
  • What obstacles prevented you from completing your goals?
  • Do you have any new goals?
  • Teacher will facilitate class discussion regarding best practice tips, suggestions for improvement, and ask for student feedback. 

My classes are usually broken up into chapters.  Before each chapter I can provide an activity(-ies) to identify areas that are weak and areas of proficiency.   Then as I go through the chapter I can spend extra time in the areas of deficiency while reinforcing the areas of proficiency.

After each chapter I plan to conduct an assessment to reinforce what they’ve learned and to also demonstrate to me their understanding of the materials.

After all the chapters are completed, I usually give a review of the book prior to a course test.  But I believe that the review in tandem with the chapter assessments will help reinforce their knowledge and I can refresh their understanding of important portions of the material.

I also intend to help the students with creating achievable, realistic, measurable, and logical goals and understand how each class affects the goals that they’ve established.

Activity Description

Data Detectives – teachers and admin will engage in a systematic review of CASAS data as the next step in designing and implementing research-based best practices to drive instruction for adult students. Using the KWL process, we will examine data to determine what we already know, want to know, and need to learn in order to create and deliver a program focused on student attainment of English Language Acquisition goals as identified by students and required by federal government funding.

Activity Purpose (What result are you looking for?)

We need to examine our current practice(s) to ascertain whether the product that we are delivering is what our students want and need in order to assimilate more readily into American society (culture, economy, educational system, etc.) Our current program has not achieved the state and federal negotiated benchmarks in more than five years. There is a need to: • Unpack the current: o CASAS results for the past five years o Levels of knowledge and skills that we bring to classroom practice • Identify the reasons why students attend our programs (their goals for enrolling) • Examine summative assessment results (CASAS), practices and skills in light of the identified • Identify possible steps to be taken to address the identified challenges • Discuss solutions and create an implementation plan

Class Description (Level and demographics)

Our adult school serves almost 2,000 students. The majority of our students is enrolled in our English Language Acquisition (ELA) classes and is largely from Asia (Korean, Chinese and Japanese students comprise over 85% of our student population). Our students are for the most part economically well off and well educated in their native language. A number of them own a business or are professionals seeking work in the US. They range in age from their early twenties to their late seventies, with the majority being between 25 and 50 years of age.

Resources Needed

o CASAS scores o An inventory of teacher practices (perhaps a list of teacher behaviors, beliefs, and practices that teachers will use to self-report)

o An inventory of student profiles and copies of Personal Learning Plans

o Chart paper and pens

o Research-based materials and articles

Evaluation (How will you gauge the impact of the activity on your students?)

This professional development activity represents the next step that follows teacher participation in and completion of the Online Assessment class offered through LINCS. Armed with the resources and learning opportunities provided through the course, teachers would engage in activities to examine data, discuss implications and lay out a plan to implement as we work to move our program forward. The impact of the activity on our students will be gauged based on a continuing examination of student summative assessment results as well as ongoing adjustment that is responsive to teacher and student input and needs.

Communicating with Students (How will they know if their performance has improved?)

It will be important to sustain the data team process as we move forward. Through ongoing PD, classroom observations, sessions on sharing and problem solving, goal setting and monitoring, we hope to be able to demonstrate increased gains in student achievement and teacher efficacy.

Activity Description: Conversation pairs as a formative assessment. Students will be assigned a partner and asked to prepare a short conversation based on grammar and vocabulary that they have studied. As students present their dialogue to the class, I will complete an individual speaking evaluation rubric. Other students will also be encouraged to listen for correct use of target grammar and vocabulary. Activity Purpose: To assess how well students are able to use what they have learned to communicate effectively and fluently. Class Description: ELA 3. Predominately Asian and female. Resources Needed: Speaking evaluation rubric. Evaluation: After discussing the main points of the rubric and how to do the activity, students will be individually evaluated while they speak. Communicating: I plan to meet with individual students privately and review their strong points and suggestions for improvement.
Skip to main content LINCS - Literacy Information and Communication SystemCommunity Learning Goals

Submitted by Blossom L Hoffman on May 30, 2017 - 2:29am

Groups:  Assessment

0 Likes

0 Comments

Summer 2017  semester: Introduce the subject "Our Language Goals - Our Learning Goals" 

Open the introductory conversation: WHAT DO YOU WANT TO LEARN IN THIS CLASS? WHY?

Discuss the importance of writing down our goals. Being clear about what we want and why. Think about and consider how we intend to reach our goals. What steps might we take?

Inform the class that we will begin the first step in setting goals together.  Explain that we will work in small groups to discuss and fill-in the worksheet. 

1. Model the  one of the life skills topics from the worksheet.  At the whiteboard ask and write down the first two rows: Employment: Speaking & listening:  Ask about hours of work. Reading & writing: learn about the benefits included with the job. 

2. Use the tool OUR LANGUAGE GOALS - What we want to do with English. Working in small groups, brainstorm while one student will write their answers on the colored worksheet. Group work will help them open up, share ideas, be creative and learn new ones.

Their  learner responses will be used to guide the instruction in class.

Students will retain their completed individual learner worksheets for future review. Copies will be kept for their files, so we can review their goals in class on a regular basis to see what progress is made, decide if revisions are needed. Understand that setting goals and working towards achieving them is an ongoing focused practice. 

Inform them that we have a variety of tools that can help us become clearer as we set our goals. That regularly reviewing, evaluating and assessing what we've completed on the list is very important. It is a tangible means of measuring what is completed.That success requires each individual to commit to his/her active involvement in planning and learning together. 

Share:   Share:

Disclaimer: This website was developed by Quotient Inc. with funding from the U.S. Department of Education (ED), Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE), under Contract No.ED-VAE-14-O-5018. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the positions or policies of the U.S. Department of Education, and no official endorsement by the U.S. Department of Education should be inferred.

Hello, Guest!

Main Menu

Skip to main content LINCS - Literacy Information and Communication SystemCommunity Learning Goals

Submitted by Blossom L Hoffman on May 30, 2017 - 2:29am

Groups:  Assessment

0 Likes

0 Comments

Summer 2017  semester: Introduce the subject "Our Language Goals - Our Learning Goals" 

Open the introductory conversation: WHAT DO YOU WANT TO LEARN IN THIS CLASS? WHY?

Discuss the importance of writing down our goals. Being clear about what we want and why. Think about and consider how we intend to reach our goals. What steps might we take?

Inform the class that we will begin the first step in setting goals together.  Explain that we will work in small groups to discuss and fill-in the worksheet. 

1. Model the  one of the life skills topics from the worksheet.  At the whiteboard ask and write down the first two rows: Employment: Speaking & listening:  Ask about hours of work. Reading & writing: learn about the benefits included with the job. 

2. Use the tool OUR LANGUAGE GOALS - What we want to do with English. Working in small groups, brainstorm while one student will write their answers on the colored worksheet. Group work will help them open up, share ideas, be creative and learn new ones.

Their  learner responses will be used to guide the instruction in class.

Students will retain their completed individual learner worksheets for future review. Copies will be kept for their files, so we can review their goals in class on a regular basis to see what progress is made, decide if revisions are needed. Understand that setting goals and working towards achieving them is an ongoing focused practice. 

Inform them that we have a variety of tools that can help us become clearer as we set our goals. That regularly reviewing, evaluating and assessing what we've completed on the list is very important. It is a tangible means of measuring what is completed.That success requires each individual to commit to his/her active involvement in planning and learning together. 

Share:   Share:

Disclaimer: This website was developed by Quotient Inc. with funding from the U.S. Department of Education (ED), Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE), under Contract No.ED-VAE-14-O-5018. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent the positions or policies of the U.S. Department of Education, and no official endorsement by the U.S. Department of Education should be inferred.

Hello, Guest!

Main Menu

Hello! I am Nona Jean Arai. I am trying to complete the final assignment of my Assessment Course, so I have to register and post on this Forum. I'm not registered as a member yet, so I am still probably identified as a guest. I am going to describe my activity for the final topic in the class. I will use one from the introduction lesson. After students have met and introduced themselves to various other students and written notes on them in their workbooks, I would have them introduce one of the students as a presentation. It could be simply giving their name, country, and reason for studying English, or for a higher level, students could give their own self-introduction and their future goals. I would then ask students content questions about the person who was introduced. I would then ask call on various other students in the audience to answer questions about the person who had been introduced. This would help me judge their level of listening comprehension, as well as pronunciation ability. For higher levels, I could have the students write out their answers to the questions. This would help me assess their level of writing ability. During the middle of the term I could give them a similar activity, but share how the class has helped them in their efforts to reach their goals, and also ask for suggestions for activities that would help them better improve their progress towards their goals. This would give me some formative assessment feedback, as well as gain some ideas about how they felt they would better learn things they would need for their goals.