R&W July Newsletter!

LINCS Reading and Writing
Community of Practice (CoP)
Newsletter
July 2017

When you ask me to contrast things, aren’t you also asking me to compare them?
Why do teachers talk about comparing AND contrasting?

thumbs upWelcome New Members!

• We have had 33 new members this year and since our last newsletter. Some of you have joined our discussions. Thank you! We hope to hear from the rest of you. A community is like a closed chain. Every link is important. Every voice is vital. Drop in and let us get to know you better, learn from you, and share our knowledge and experience with you.
  • Alexandra Patrocino           Janet Kester                      Michael Arnold
  • Anali Vieyra                        Jennifer Kentner                Myron Bennett
  • Ashly Winkle                       Jose Amaya                      Nicole Coady
  • Benson Kamary                  Joseph Kester                   Paul Rogers
  • Christina Mei                       Kathryn Whyte                  Philip Norfolk
  • Dane Yonamine                   Kim Brown                        Rebecca Hawkins
  • David Silverman                  Kristie Conrad                   Ricardo L. Vasquez
  • Dr. Egheosa Igbinoba          Leigh Smith                      Shelley Lee
  • Elizabeth Bennett                Mary Hughes                    Susana LL
  • Farrell Ink                             Mary Kay Alegre              Thomas Zurinskas
  • George Demetrion               Megan Rasberry              Vivian Newman

If you haven’t already done so, please introduce yourself in the “Getting to Know You” or in the “Introduce Yourself” forum, listed toward the top of your Discussions page.

thumbs upProfile Setters!

It is easy to complete your profile. Simply go to https://community.lincs.ed.gov/help/how-do-i-edit-my-profile-and-upload-profile-picture and follow the instructions. If you haven’t completed your profile, please do so right away so that we can get to know you better. If you want to know more about someone who posts a comment in a discussion, just click on that name, and the profile opens up. We are a community. Let’s get to know one another!

Ashley Winkle      Ashley Winkle     

Our latest community member. Ashley’s profile says the following:

I am an HSE Literacy and ABE Instructor, as well as a Professional Development Trainer and Technology Integration Coach for the Literacy Council of Tyler. I started as a volunteer a little over four years ago, and immediately fell in love with adult education, so I became a teacher within a matter of months. Shortly thereafter, I pursued a second M.S. in Teaching and Learning, with a Concentration in Teacher Leadership.  I teach all HSE subjects in addition to computer literacy. I also train other adult educators on techniques for teaching GED subjects and integrating technology into the classroom.

I am extremely passionate about two things: technology and teaching adults. I LOVE technology and I think it is critical that students be as comfortable with technology as possible as we proceed into the 21st century. More importantly, however, I think it is important for teachers to grasp the concept of integrating technology into their instruction. 

My interests: technology, education, fitness, reading, writing, dogs

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/awinkle1

Twitter: http://twitter.com/msashlylcot

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashly-winkle-35a534126/

Meagen Ferrell
Meagen Farrell

Author, teacher trainer, and catechist who started in adult literacy as a volunteer AmeriCorps tutor. I am Chief Learning Officer of Mustard Seed Training, providing training, resources and coaching for adult religious educators.

Job Role: Professional Developer

Affiliation: Community or Faith-Based Organization

My interests: I enjoy reading, cycle touring, and run a backyard homestead in Northeast Ohio.

Facebook: http://facebook.com/farrell.ink

Twitter: http://twitter.com/farrellink

LinkedIn: http://linkedim.com/in/meagenfhowe

Thomas Zurinskas.png
Thomas Zurinskas

I'm the creator of truespel phonetics, the free US English phonics based phonetic spelling system. See httpp://truespel.com

Job Role: Researcher

Affiliation: Industry/Business/For-Profit

My interests: Phonetics, Language - Poetry and songwriting

Twitter: http://twirtter.com/tzurinskas

Blank Image

Leigh Smith

I went to grad school late in life for my MA-TESOL. I love teaching adults and am passionate about the English language, fascinated especially with entymology. I love words and phrase origins, and the study of word corpora. I love assessments! I love passing on wonderful books of all levels to my students. I am a bit of a drama queen in my personal life and like to bring zest to my classroom. I love movies, and am a romantic... although concerning my own abilities, I tend to be an Eeyore and so love encouragement (and to encourage!).

Job Role: Instructor

Affiliation: Local Education Agency (LEA) or State Education Agency (SEA)

My interests: Reading, Dogs & Cats, Movies, Walking - Rural & Urban; Road Trips, Archery, Writing, Eating with Friends, Classical Music

Paul Rogers

Paul Rogers

I have been an ESL teacher for more than 25 years, working almost exclusively with Spanish-speaking, low-income adults, mostly women.

I have worked in libraries, community centers, low-income housing complexes, as well as in school settings.
Presently I am developing a free course based in Facebook, and utilizing a number of websites and WhatsApp.
I believe that Nonformal adult education programs are very important and can serve as a major factor in providing necessary services to a growing population.
I look forward to discussions with members of LINCS

I am the developer of PUMAROSA.COM a free ESL website.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paul.rogers.7509836

Blank Image
Nicole Coady

Initially, I taught (for seven years) as a high school math teacher at a vocational-technical school. After some self-analyzing, I felt I wasn't in the 'right' place. So, I left the public school sector and came across adult education, which ultimately landed me in prison - haha, but true. Since 2012/13, I have been a prison GED instructor, and I am so happy with my position. I truly believe it was God divined! :) I teach adult men and get to see many achieve their GED - it's a blessing to watch and work.

Blank Image
Elizabeth Bennett

I'm serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA member in the ABE program at American Indian OIC in Minneapolis, sponsored by the Minnesota Literacy Council. My responsibilities include volunteer coordination, curriculum development, and program evaluation and improvement. Prior to becoming a VISTA, I was an elementary ELL and classroom teacher. I plan to continue to work in the field of adult education as an instructor and/or program coordinator.

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/elizabeth-bennett-3a22a57

Blank Image

Myron Bennett

I am an experienced public policy expert with extensive experience in public health, community development, economic development, advocacy, grant management, grant writing, grant review , fiscal management, health care workforce development and management, quality control, inventory control, regulatory compliance, social and health outcomes research, medical professional and trainee education, media relations , community relations, and government relations. I have served as a health commissioner for a large urban city and CFO/CEO/CIO/COO for a number of public health, hospital based and community based non profit organizations. I have career and volunteer experience in areas related to: senior health, mental health and substance abuse, HIV/AIDS, organ and tissue donation, health care workforce pipeline , public housing , hypertension and cardiovascular disease control, diabetes prevention and control, lupus education and control, death and dying, population health planning, adolescent health, health center operation, renal disease prevention and treatment, organizational governance, and community organizing around health and economic issues

Blank Image
George Demetrion

I have worked in the Adult Basic Education field since 1987, which included a 17-year stint as a program manager at Literacy Volunteers of Greater Hartford. I have had various consulting assignments with the Capital Regional Education Council (CREC) in Hartford, CT, the Literacy Project in Greenfield, MA, and the Desai Group in West Hartford, CT where I provided insight into organizational learning theory to the CEO.

I have also worked at two college writing centers in Hartford (University of Hartford and Capital Community College) and have taught English and math in a transition to college program.

I have served in an adjunct capacity at the Virginia Commonwealth University where, since 2009 I taught courses the the School of Education's online Adult Literacy Certification Program.

In 2010 my wife and I moved to San Diego, CA where I worked as the adult education coordinator for the Saint Vincent de Paul Villages for four years, an agency that provides long-term comprehensive services for single adults and family and family members. Before leaving San Diego, I worked for the Second Chance as their first Basic Skills instructor, charged to set up four week modules on math and English skills for students seeking their GED or seeking to prepare for one of the trade-based apprenticeship entrance tests.

We returned to Hartford in 2016 where I began working once again in the Writing Center at the Capital Community College. I have also been hired by the New England 1199 Training and Upgrading Fund in Hartford to expand and strengthen their ABE program.

I have had a long term research interest in adult basic education, which has included the publication of over a dozen professional articles and a book, Conflicting Paradigms in Adult Literacy Education. I have also written two professional books in contemporary theology: In Quest of a Vital Protestant Center: An Ecumenical Evangelical Perspective and The Historical Jesus and the Christ of Faith: Marcus Borg and N. T. Wright in Critical Dialogue.

An ongoing challenge is to balance these two major interests where I have invested a great deal of personal and professional time.

My interests:

* Reading classical and top quality contemporary fiction, theology, the Bible, philosophy, history, politics, and learning theory.
*Professional writing in the areas of adult basic education (particularly the relationship between politics, policy, and pedagogy) and contemporary Protestant theology
* Slow (very slow) jogging and walking
* Good movies and television programs and going out to dinner with my wife
* Small group church-based adult Christian education studies

Are you ready to complete your profile? Take a few minutes to enter your information and picture. We want to see! Then drop me an email that simple needs to say, “Profile Completed” so that I know it’s there. That’s it! I’ll feature you in our next newsletter! What a deal!

thumbs upHot Topics: LINCS Reading and Writing CoP

I recently entered a list of topics that we have been covering in our discussions in earlier months this this year. Those topics remain open, so feel free to comment on any of them by clicking in the Discussions Tab, and then on the topic of your choice.

One topic that I hope will become HOT is the Integrate It!” discussion, a hot topic in Adult Ed! How do we integrate instruction? In simple terms, we teach academic and other skills within the context of the learner’s interest. Is it to become a commercial driver? Teach the reading, writing, and math related to CDL (gradients, laws listed in the commercial license state test, work problems related to volume and capacity). Is the student interested in auto mechanics? Teach the reading, writing, and math related to motors (fluid, mechanical, electrical, and thermal systems). On and on. When you visit the Integrate It! discussion, you’ll find a sample lesson plan that teaches future health workers how to take blood pressure. Check it out. Then drop in with a simple activity description that will integrate academic skills in that health training. How can students learn to read, write, speak, or compute better by completing activities that relate to taking blood pressure?

Would you like to open a new topic? Click on the “Discussions” tab and then on the “Add a Discussion” green icon. That opens a window with areas to enter the title of your discussion or topic and the text you want to share. Keep it short and simple. Then go to the bottom and click on “Submit.” That’s it.

We need your participation and interaction as we build our little learning community to serve your needs and interests! Post a problem you are facing. Post a case study. Post an activity that you recommend for engaging adult learners in your practice. Post a question, a resource, an idea, a reference. Whatever your preference to interaction and dialogue, post! This community is here to serve you. Help serve your community! Let’s get to know each other and share our experience and knowledge. Deal?

thumbs up LINCS News

You are probably very familiar with our LINCS Resource Collection and Learning Portal, which are rich resources for publications and free courses! There are other sections on LINCS as well. Go to the Home Page and browse through the links there.

LINCS Learner Center

Are you using the fantastic resource for adult learners? The LINCS Learner Center connects adult learners to free online resources to reach life goals in areas such as improving reading, math, and science skills, learning English, building job and job search skills, becoming a U.S. citizen, and finding an adult education, child, family, and digital literacy program. Check it out!

LINCS News

To stay up to date on what’s happening in LINCS go to https://lincs.ed.gov/news and check out the calendar.

PD Center

The LINCS Professional Development Center (PD) Center assists states in meeting the state leadership requirements set forth in Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Section 223. Go to https://lincs.ed.gov/professional-development/pdc and sign up for the PD’s Center’s quarterly newsletter.

Help Center

What happens if you have trouble figuring things out in our LINCS Communities of Practice and you don’t want to call or figure it out? Simply click on the HELP link in the Menu Bar when you are in our community. The tutorials are great and supported by images of what to do.

Community News

What’s going on in our Communities of Practice? Once in awhile, check our home page and read the posted announcement. Lots of goodies there.

Announcements

Our Reading and Writing Community cordially invites you to join its new micro group, which will soon be opening: PIAAC Literacy Circle. The name sounds serious, but we plan to have great fun.

If you are interested and committed to becoming informed about the current state of adult literacy in the United States, and if you want to contribute to accelerating the rate at which our adults become empowered in their communities, this event is designed for you!

The LINCS PIAAC Literacy Circle…

• is a teacher-to-teacher study, problem-solving, and product-development group co-led moderated by Leecy Wise, LINCS Reading and Writing CoP Moderator, and Diana Baycich, Literacy Projects Coordinator for the Ohio Literacy Resource Center at Kent State University.
  • will feature Amy Trawick the nationally-acclaimed Director of the Center for Adult Learning Leadership and Advancement, and author of the PIAAC Research-based Literacy Guide, Using the PIAAC Literacy Framework to Guide Instruction: An Introduction for Adult Educators Discussions. This resource will guide our discussions throughout our time together.
  • will meet for four weeks. Participants can expect to spend approximately 1-4 hours a week reading and contributing ideas in the Circle, depending on their level of involvement and time commitment, creating segments and discussing them with colleagues of like mind.
  • will create valuable resources (activities, plans, tips) to be distributed among Adult Ed ABE, HSE Prep, and Family Literacy instructors and their students everywhere.

More information and instructions on how to join the Circle will be coming soon! Circle It on Your Calendar for September 11-October 8th 2017

thumbs up Featured Resources/Articles

Family Literacy

What Is Family Literacy? We don’t often discuss that in our community. Yet, as the African proverb reminds us, “It takes a community to raise a child.” Our adults are the community that raise the children who, hopefully, will not come back to our programs after our schools fail them.

Have a resource recommendation for this newsletter? Please send me the information, and I’ll post it in our next issue, with credit given. (leecy@reconnectioncompany.com) Alternatively, and even more highly recommended, post a discussion in our community and start a new dialogue!

thumbs upTips for Encouraging Reading and Writing Practice: beginning adult learners

thumbs upSocial Media Tips

• 6 Tips for Writing Well on Social Media – How about having our adult learners practice writing by following these tips and posting in social media? What fun! – From grammarly.com. The tips are easy and definitely support good writing instruction, but in a fun environment.
  • Using Social Media to Teach Adult Learners  From SoYouThinkYouCanTeachESL.com “Social media and the Internet are excellent tools to help adult learners stay connected in this fast-paced, ever-changing world. Sites such as Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and others are wonderful platforms to help build visual literacy skills! They also allow adults to see new ideas and discuss them.”
  • How To Use Social Media to Automatically Find Adult Education Resources – “Looking for news, content, and resources to use in your adult education programs? Here’s an easy way to automatically source content from Twitter. All you need is a Twitter account.”

Please open a discussion in our community and share your tips for using social media for instruction among adults. I know that some in our community have experience in this area. How about sharing some simple and easy tips on how to get started? Please?

Member Contribution

This section is awaiting your contribution. Share a practice, a resource, a tip, anything that you would like featured in this section! Email me, and you’ll be in our next newsletter!

thumbs upBrain Games and Fun Things

What phrases do the images represent? Share them with your students!  If you solve the “word puzzles,” post your answer in this forum. I will no longer post the answers in the newsletter.

1.   Compare         2. Stands

I strongly advocate puzzle activities as a fun way to encourage vocabulary development, contextual meanings, and many other language-related skills. Try this site, and if you like it, send your students there: http://www.billsgames.com/

And speaking of fun, have you and your students tried Free Rice? http://freerice.com/#/english-vocabulary/1399. For every right answer, the site donates 10 grains of rice through the World Food Program. Be sure to check the many options for difficulty lever, topics, and more. Warning! This site is addictive.

thumbs upUpcoming Events

Be sure to drop in weekly to review the exciting announcements on our LINCS Home page,  https://lincs.ed.gov and on our Community page, https://community.lincs.ed.gov/https://community.lincs.ed.gov .

thumbs upComments

To respond to any of the items in this newsletter, simply add a comment to this post, as with all discussion threads.

Let’s talk some more! Leecy Wise
leecy@reconnectioncompany.com

Comments

It's fun learning about my fellow members and seeing their faces (Hi Meagen!). I like the resources and I am excited that the Ohio Literacy Resource Center is one of them. I know family literacy has gone by the wayside in many places but our Family Literacy Resource Notebook has great information. And while you're on our website, check out Eureka! http://literacy.kent.edu/eureka/ . The answer to the puzzle on the right is "no one under stands". I hope someone has the answer to the puzzle on the left. It has me stumped.

Heh, heh, you figured it out, Di. We have one to go! Here's a tip: notice the color...

Although Family Literacy is not in vogue right now, I assume because it is not directly workforce oriented, I hope it revives and develops workplace initiatives to be shared by the whole family. How about having parents read about different occupational tracks with kids or play related games with them?  Kids appreciate career orientation, especially coming from parents who are also looking into career paths. Just thinking... Leecy