First Language Literacy

Hello,

What do you use to determine the literacy level of a learners' first language?  I am curious to know if anyone does anything in addition to asking the learner directly.  I am new to the ESL literacy world, and I'm glad to be learning from everyone in this group!

Comments

Hi Helen, Thanks for posting this important question. As many of us have learned, asking a learner about her/his education background does not always provide us with the information we need.

Our adult education colleagues in Florida have developed native language screening tools in 29 different languages, which are available for free download.These colleagues have also made an administration manual available, which would likely need to be adapted for different contexts.

Other members may have designed strategies for addressing this need. It would be great to hear from others on this issue.

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition

Susan and group members, I am curious to know what the purpose of finding out the literacy level of ESL students is. What kinds of strategies are used in the case of low literacy students? As we all know, the literacy of ESL students plays an important part in their learning of English. Why can we not, therefore, include L1 literacy classes for those students in a Pre-ESL program? Or at least include bilingual support for those students? Many community centers in Non-Formal programs offer L1 Literacy, ESL, GED and Citizenship for the diverse immigrant communities. Is it possible for the Formal, Community College Adult Ed programs to incorporate this approach as well?

Hi Paul and all, As Robin indicated in her helpful message below, we learn to read once. After that, we apply the skills we've learned to reading in another language. It should go without saying that learning to read for the first time in a language one speaks is far easier and more efficient than learning to read in a new language. Therefore, ideally, we would teach learners to read in the language they use most often to communicate.

In fact, there are some programs that have funding to provide first language literacy instruction which is great. I'm certain that there are many wonderful volunteers doing this important work, too.

However, as  I often say ... "there is the ideal, and then there is the real." Unfortunately, there is not a lot of funding available to provide first language literacy instruction. While this is a fact, I also want to mention the findings of a research study with adult learners conducted in 1998 by Joanne Nurss. The study took place in South Africa  where I believe there are 11 official languages. 

Here is the abstract for the article Nurss published about the study:

"Literacy levels of 68 South African adults in their native Zulu and in English were assessed. They had significantly higher scores in native-language literacy, but only 15% had passed the national Zulu literacy exam. Many wanted to acquire English for employment purposes and did not consider increasing their Zulu literacy necessary."

I think a similar issue is true for adult learners in the US. While I know individuals greatly value their home language and culture, here in the US people often feel a pressing need to be able to use English.  Adults in Nurss' study felt they did not have the luxury of time to learn to read first in their mother tongue. I believe many immigrants in the US feel the same..

Reference: Nurss, J. (1998). The effects of mother tongue literacy on South African adults’ acquisition of English literacy. Adult Basic Education. 8(2), 111-119.

Further thoughts on this issue are welcome!

Cheers, Susan Finn Miller

Moderator, English Language Acquisition

Susan, thank you for your response which raises a number of important issues. First - funding: I believe that there are a lot of untapped funding sources for L1 (First Language) Literacy programs. There are many private foundations that would be interested, in addition to local community funding sources. There also should be government funding just like any other program.

Setting up an L1 Literacy program likewise is not as difficult as it may seem. There are online programs as well as training and support. And just as English literacy programs are conducted in public libraries with volunteers, so can L1 literacy programs for adults be offered in libraries and community centers, as well as community colleges.

While many adult ESL students may not be interested in literacy classes in their Home Languages, there are many more who would be interested if these classes were offered.

In any case, I am at the beginning stages of developing a program and writing grants for the plan for a Drop-In Center which will provide Spanish literacy classes, as well as ESL and Citizenship, etc.

Recently I met with the director of a community center which will house the  drop-in center, and he told me his favorite quote was: “Build it and they will come!” This is one of my favorite quotes also, along with what my mother used to say: “Where there is a will, there is a way.”  We can do this!!!

Paul

Helen-- this is an important question with a not-very-easy answer.   I believe it is important to be clear about what the purpose of determining what the level of literacy really is. At the most basic level, from my studies, I think it is extremely important to find out if the learner is literate in any language simply because a literate brain, even if the level of literacy is very low, is quite different from a non-literate brain.   I have long advocated that whereEVER possible, persons who have no prior print literacy at all should be taught separately from those who have any literacy at all, even the most rudimentary amount.   This comes from the wisdom of "you only learn to read once"--- that is, once the brain has accepted the concept of getting a message from squiggles on a page, it is forever aware that that is the purpose of text.  Non-print literate persons do not have that awareness as yet.  Several studies have indicated that the big breakthrough with non-print adults is when they finally absorb and accept the concept of text having a message.    But until they achieve that breakthrough, they need to be working on the most fundamental pre literacy skills (phonological processing skills) and building oral language skills, which the literate students will be able to do faster and with a wider range of materials.   Non-print literate students are known widely to struggle significantly with pictures and other 2-dimensional information as well as with all school skills, setting them even further apart from even the lowest educated but yet literate students.   

Beyond that, things are still different.   The big breakthroughs in reading research in the late  90's and early 2000's indicated that previous ideas about reading basics and reading difficulties were incorrect.  Reading is a unique process in every language and in some instances the skills needed for reading and what is necessary to know about the sound symbol relationship in each language may not transfer when learning to read in a new language.  For example, some languages-- English for one--require a much higher level of syllable awareness and of phoneme awareness than other languages do.  If a person never developed finely grained phoneme awareness because his or her first language of literacy did not require it, then that person will not have that awareness to bring to learning a language like English, where phoneme awareness is very important.  Persons who read languages that are highly regular--or transparent-- and do not ever have to learn irregularities and oddities as we do in English-- are known to overgeneralize and try to read and spell English as if it were highly regular, and then are very frustrated when that does not work.  Also persons who are extremely literate in a script that is entirely different from English have little to no carry-over to developing visual skills in English.  They need to start at zero, as it were, to learn to decode and develop visual fluency and processing skills to be competent readers.   They are at a much bigger disadvantage than are students who read an alphabet similar to ours and may even look reading disabled until they develop a fairly strong competence in decoding English.   Keiko Koda, one of the chief researchers in the area of second language reading, reminds  us that virtually EVERYTHING one does when reading in a second language is first accessed in the first language-- whether it is the direction of reading or how to assign sound to symbols or where types of words appear in sentences (syntax).  Thus an actual measurement of literacy in one's first language does not give an indication of the skill needed for competent second language reading.   

Studies on reading difficulties in other languages confirmed the differences across languages.  One set of researchers studying Chinese readers concluded that it is orthography-- writing-- that leads to high levels of reading competence for Chinese readers, not phonological skills as was presumed for so long in the reading disabilities community.   That shift was one of many that recognized that reading is developed differently in different languages.  In some cultures and languages, reading develops as a result of rote learning of words while in others it develops gradually as children are exposed to text.  In still other cultures, reading is taught directly through phonics.  In English, we need a wide range of skills to be competent readers, including really well developed phonological skills, including phoneme, syllable and rhyme awareness.     

Another issue with finding out about a person's literacy level is that it does not give much of an idea of what the person has learned nor how skilled he or she is at school skills.   It is false to think that six year of education in one country is analogous to 6 years of education in another.   Furthermore, if the education system from which students come emphasizes memorizing over critical thinking, even those at college level will have difficulty with higher level reading skills that are required for American academic work.  And of course if a student is literate but low-educated, he or she will likely not have developed almost any higher level reading skills or text comprehension skills that more educated students have developed.   One study from PA confirmed this --it focused on Spanish speaking students in a community college ESL reading class and the researcher discovered that there was a wide discrepancy between those students with low education and those with high education when they tried to read and comprehend texts in their reading classes.   This situation often occurs in adult ESOL because students are so often placed according to their speaking skills and not their true education levels or literacy skills.   

One behavior that DOES seem to transfer is the habit of reading-- if a student has the habit of reading for information and for pleasure, then he or she is more able to transfer that practice to English, even if the actual competence in reading is hard to develop.  On the other hand, if a student has had very limited experience with reading and did not regularly have the habit of reading, he or she will apparently find it difficult to develop that habit in English.   

So the question is, as I said at the beginning-- why do you need to know the literacy level and how will that information impact what you teach and what you ask of your students?   Every time I do sessions about what causes adult ELs to fail in learning, I urge teachers to find out as much about their students' backgrounds as possible, including what the culture of education is and the reading habits, if any, of their students.  Literacy is a very complex skill--it is so much more than just decoding words!

I highly recommend the works of Keiko Koda, as well as of Durgonoglu and her colleagues and many others who have done research on reading and literacy across cultures and languages.   And once again, I cannot recommend highly enough the book by Helen Fox, "Listening to the World: Cultural Issues in Academic Writing"--which gives a detailed and often heart -wrenching view of what it means to become literate in another language and culture which conflict with one's own experience and beliefs about reading, writing and literacy.      

Robin Lovrien