Science Video Review Project

Science teaching colleagues,

I’m looking for a handful of science teachers (those who teach adults or out-of-school youth) who are interested in working with other teachers in an online group to review free, online science instruction videos. The goal is to put together a good list of teacher-reviewed and rated videos with engaging science content and that ideally also include good science thinking, a list of annotated videos that could be used by students who may have very little science content knowledge.

The purpose would not be to replace or supplant good science teaching, but rather to augment it, to provide opportunities for science teachers to have good videos to use in class (if they have access to a computer and multimedia projector, and perhaps to the Internet, in their classroom) but also for students to watch on their own outside class from wherever they might have access to the web, including on smart phones or tablets, or from a computer at home, work, in a library, or elsewhere.

This science video review project is a volunteer effort. This first part, at least, will not require at great deal of time. The goal might be to review a total of 10-20 videos. If we have 8-10 teachers, assuming that each video is reviewed by two people, that would probably require reviewing 2-5 videos each. We would develop a simple-to-use video review form. Each teacher would review the videos asynchronously using a Google group, Wiggio group or LINCS micro-group for threaded discussion and to share our reviews. If we needed to review a video or talk together in real time we might use a Google Hangout.

One or two of us, probably at least me, would assemble the reviews into a document that we would make available to this CoP, and perhaps beyond, a document that we would want to be useful to many adult education science teachers. My hope is that we would also learn from the process ourselves and perhaps develop an efficient process that is replicable, that other teachers might use. All of those who review the minimum number of videos would be listed as co-authors of the document.

I don’t know if anyone in this CoP is interested in such a project; if not, I’ll try the idea elsewhere. If we get at least six people who want to do this, we’ll begin in April or May, and continue into the summer. We should have our review document ready by September 1st.

If you want to join this project or if you have questions, please email me at djrosen123@gmail.com. If the project goes forward, I hope from time to time to post reports here on its progress, especially if we find an issue for which we would like the advice of the larger adult education science teaching community.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

Comments

Four days ago I posted the above invitation. Susan Cowles replied saying that she thought it was a good idea (Thanks, Susan!) but I haven't heard from anyone else. If you are interested, please email me [ djrosen123@gmail.com ] by tomorrow, Friday, April 12th. If I don't hear from at least six adult ed science teachers confirming that they would like to be part of this, I'll assume that there isn't enough interest -- or that this isn't the right time -- for science teachers, and I will extend the invitation to a different CoP.

I hope to hear from some of you.

All the best,

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

David, could you please give people in the Science group more time to respond to your good idea?  

This has been the week of school spring vacation in many places, so many instructors -and their families- may be away from home and work.  (Judging from the bazillions of people on the sidewalks of Washington,DC, where I currently live,they are all here!)

Also, have you considered having groups of adult learners (with their instructor, of course)take part in a review?  That could be part of a class writing assignment or some other activity, thus justifying the use of instructional time,and it would provide you with valuable feedback.

Also, I wonder if reviewers could participate at various levels.  Some of us have old computer operating systems which do not have the capability to do some of the post-review discussions and activities you suggest.

Sure Susan, let's give people through April 18th to sign up for the science video review group.

I have considered having teachers work with a group of their students to review the videos, and I think it's a great idea for those teachers and students who want to do that.

Every video reviewer would need to be part of the asynchronous group, which might be here as a LINCS micro-group or might be a Google, Yahoo or Wiggio group (all free). Some reviewers might also choose to join in a real-time Google Hangout which, as you note, requires good bandwith, a video cam, and a headset; so not everyone might be able to participate in that if we decide it is needed. Most older computers -- certainly any that can access YouTube videos -- should be able to access an asynchronous discussion group.

Below is a description of the project which members of the LINCS Science CoP could forward to (other) adult ed science teachers who might be interested but who are not (yet) in the LINCS Science CoP.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

-------------------------

Science Video Review Project

I’m looking for a handful of science teachers (those who teach adults or out-of-school youth) who are interested in working with other teachers in an online group to review free, online science instruction videos. The goal is to put together a good list of teacher-reviewed and rated videos with engaging science content and that ideally also include good science thinking, a list of annotated videos that could be used by students who may have very little science content knowledge.

The purpose would not be to replace or supplant good science teaching, but rather to augment it, to provide opportunities for science teachers to have good videos to use in class (if they have access to a computer and multimedia projector, and perhaps to the Internet, in their classroom) but also for students to watch on their own outside class from wherever they might have access to the web, including on smart phones or tablets, or from a computer at home, work, in a library, or elsewhere.

This science video review project is a volunteer effort. This first part, at least, will not require at great deal of time. The goal might be to review a total of 10-20 videos. If we have 8-10 teachers, and assuming that each video is reviewed by two people, that would probably require reviewing 2-5 videos each. We would develop a simple-to-use video review form. Each teacher would review the videos asynchronously. We would use a Google group, Wiggio group or LINCS micro-group for threaded discussion and to share our reviews. If we needed to review a video or talk together in real time we might use a Google Hangout.

One or two of us, probably at least me, would assemble the reviews into a document that we would make available to this CoP, and perhaps beyond, a document that we would want to be useful to many adult education science teachers. My hope is that we would also learn from doing this and develop an efficient process that is replicable, that other teachers might use. All of those who review the minimum number of videos would be listed as co-authors of the document.

If you are interested in this project, and if we get at least six people who want to do this, we’ll begin in April or May, and continue into the summer. We should have our review document ready by September 1st.

If you want to join this project or if you have questions, please email me at djrosen123@gmail.com..

David J. Rosen

Unfortunately I have not had enough interest from science teachers to do the science video review project. I have heard from a few people who are interested, but not enough to go forward. Perhaps I'll try again in a few months. Meanwhile I'll choose a video review project in another area of study. Thanks to those who have contacted me. I'll keep your contact information and will let you klnow if this goes forward in the future.

David J. Rosen

djrosen123@gmail.com

David,   I am sorry that you didn't get enough ABE instructors to do the science video review project.  Please do try again.  I think that there could be more interest in the autumn, as ABE instructors gear up for the 2014 GED examination as well as other changes in core curriculum issues and standards.  It will be also important for non-science teachers to review the videos;  they and their students can provide valuable feedback.

Susan