Pearl Harbor Day - December 7, 2017

National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day is coming up on Thursday, December 7th. Has anyone ever taught Pearl Harbor lesson plans or hosted special events around this day in your programs and schools? Do you know any great resources or have materials you recommend? Please share here if so! 

Comments

Hi Megan,

Shelley Tanaka has a book that is written at an intermediate reading level and has lots of illustrations – Attack on Pearl Harbor. Here’s a brief summary:

“Subtitled "The true story of the day America entered World War II," this book describes the attack on Pearl Harbor from the perspectives of four people, both Japanese and American. Excerpts about others who were influenced by the attack are also provided, as is an index, glossary, and list of books for further information. Illustrations include photographs and archival material.”

My experience has been that Tanaka’s books are very well done.  

NewsELA has a text set on Pearl Harbor https://newsela.com  If you are not already registered, you may have to do that to get access. Registration is free. You can adjust the reading level of each article.

ReadWorks also has some articles on Pearl Harbor https://www.readworks.org

This site also requires free registration. Most of the articles appear to be at about a 5th grade reading level.

Hope this helps.

Hi All,

To add to that list of resources, check out Remembering Pearl Harbor from  Teaching History.org. There is aslo After the Day of Infamy which has up to 12 hours of recordings of individuals thoughts and ideas immediately after Pearl Harbor.

I think you will find this site useful and full of great tools. I'd love to hear which resources you use and how you decide to use them. 
Sincerely, 
Kathy Tracey

Hi All, 

To add to that list of resources, check out Remembering Pearl Harbor from  Teaching History.org. There is aslo After the Day of Infamy which has up to 12 hours of recordings of individuals thoughts and ideas immediately after Pearl Harbor.

I think you will find this site useful and full of great tools. I'd love to hear which resources you use and how you decide to use them. 
Sincerely, 
Kathy Tracey

I have used materials from www.pbs.org to teach about Pearl Harbor. The site has lessons and videos for various grade levels.  I particularly like the D-day video from last year where they interviewed people who witnessed the attack and/or the aftermath of the attack.